Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

How to make it look centered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make it look centered

I need some suggestions.
    I'll explain it the best I can without a photo. I have a customer who wants two bookcases built. One on either side of a fireplace. The room is roughly 12ft wide. There is a fireplace close to center of the wall. The fireplace is about 3' wide with 1ft of marble on each side and above. Outside of that there is a wooden surround with wood mantle. The legs of the surround are about 6" wide and the overall width of the mantle is about 6ft. From the corner of the wall to the left side of the furthest point of the mantle/surround is 38". The right side is only 34". What I have to do is find a way to build the left bookshelf in the 34"space and the right bookshelf in the 38" space and have everything appear to be symmetrical. Eventually the fireplace surround will be removed and I will build a new one that ties into the bookshelves I am building now but that won't be until an unknown date in the future. There won't be any fancy profiles or detail into the bookshelves so I am figuring on possibly making the left one slightly larger than the one on the right. But I don't think I can build it 4inches wider without it being obvious. I think I want to try and lose at least half of the difference in the bookshelves and make up the rest of the difference in the surround when I get the go ahead for that but I don't want it to look odd until then. Any suggestions?
    Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Re: How to make it look centered

If you did not know/notice/see there was a difference until you measured the openings, you will not notice it in the bookcases.
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

I would design the entire project first. Build the bookshelves and tell the HO it'll look even better when you do the fireplace surround.
      Other than moving the fireplace or walls, it's gonna be "off " somewhere.
      You're probably better off "losing it" in the bookcases than the surround legs.
      JMHO
      SteveC
      The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

I agree with Steve, show a rendering of the complete project including the new surround and sell the whole package.
        Gary

Comment

Is it possible to build out one of the outside walls? Even if it just built out to the 4" a little deeper than the bookshelf. Gnarly sketch attached
          Attached Files
          Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

I would love to just sell him on the whole project but ive worked for this guy in the past and if he says he just wants the bookshelves for now, thats all he wants for now.
            Josh, I hadn't thought of that idea but I have done something like that in the past. I did it on both sides though. One was 10" wide and the other was13" wide. I'm not sure I'd like it the way you have it drawn there. (nice sketchup too, I may need you to give me a crash course on sketchup sometime)
            It does give me an idea though. Maybe I can do a recessed filler instead of the protruding wall. I'm going to have to give that some thought. I think I'm going to take a bunch of pictures on this build so I can get some constructive critisism on my techniques.
            Darrel Hunter

Comment

I'd build them with uneven widths and when filled with books, or decorated, I bet there's not one person in 10 that would notice. It would stand out more to me if you try to make them the same width - a filler of any kind is more noticable to me than a few extra inches of shelf. If the area isn't normally seen straight on there's even less reason to try to make them look exactly the same.

If a client was just driven crazy with symetrical shelves that aren't the same width I'd run asymetrical shelves by them - perhaps a pattern - various width spaces - you get the idea. Too often we get caught up in trying to make one side mirror the other and really the best solution, both to the eye and for just good design is an asymetrical one. How many pictures do we like where the subject is centered? If symetry was that important we'd have much less interesting spaces and photographs. Having said that it's harder to have good designs that have different sides that compliment each other.

Comment

I agree with the ones who say just build them to the openings and move on. It will look fine. Recessed filler is conspicuous, the drawing I made is conspicuous, messing with mantel is asking for trouble. Can you move the fireplace?

cheers
                Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

I too would loose it in the bookcases. You will notice it more in the fireplace surround.
                  Rich

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to lose it all in the bookcases. After further thought I think I may run with an abstract idea like Don suggests. Recessed filler idea only lasted about 10 minutes before I ax'd it.
                    Darrel Hunter

Comment

I'd just build it as is too. I always try and hide discrepancies in the widest place possible. We can't make everything perfect and we need to make compromises at times. Not many will see the difference in the book case widths.
                      ~Kent~

Comment

One side of this fireplace is wider than the other, but you really cannot tell for just looking at it.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=59739
                        Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Lamar Horton View Post
                          One side of this fireplace is wider than the other, but you really cannot tell for just looking at it.

Yeah, but that's just a bunch of smoke and mirrors...
                          Josh O.

- Michelangelo-

Comment

Make up the diff by the face frame

Comment

Originally posted by Lamar Horton View Post

I looked and I can. :)
                              SteveC
                              The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X