Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Hidden Wainscot Door Hardware

Hey guys, I have a hidden door to do in a home office. New constuction, I'm paneling it as we speak. 13.5 ceiling height, superior alder, rabbeted panel moulding to flat panels. The door is basically a 2/8 - 8/0 that needs to mimic an upper/lower panel, carry the rails, base, & chair rail, while closing seamless. Problem is, it's an outswing door. We were thinking of 3/4 ply (reinforced on back with some type of strong back), with the panel moulding covering the reveal. Scarfing the chair, base, & rails at 5 degree for clearance. Any opinions on hardware that would take the door out & away from face frame and not bind on hinge side? *Euros for a rabbetted door don't look like they will work. Have already tried euro insets, and zero clearance 270 (pull out hinges). Kind of wondering if it can work.
    Strong Tower Construction
    Service Exceeding Expectation

Default Re: Hidden Wainscot Door Hardware

I had a similar situation a few years back and the guys here turned me on to Soss hinges, which would have worked great, but I tried and eventually made a set of euro hinges work, but I didn't save any money in the process and think it would have been money well spent for the big soss gizzies.

http://www.soss.com/pdf/SossCatalog2006.pdf#page=3

In the event you end up with dimensions that won't work with something over the counter, there is another option with custom fabricated hinges modeled after automotive hinges such as are used on some doors/trunks. They are essentially shaped something like a C with the pivot on one end and the fixed portion on the other and when opened the door swings out wide away from the wall - when closed the C shaped portion has to swing back into the door jamb. Again, automotive hinges will give you enough insight to mock up a pair to get the swing correct and have them welded up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don_in_Idaho; 04-08-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add image

Here's an example of what I'm talking about - for use with an interior door the part that the door mounts to can be made to mount on the door edge so it disappears when closed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don_in_Idaho; 04-08-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add image

See if this Harmon Recessed Hinge works for your application
    Attached Files Attached Files
    HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
    Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
    General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Ditto what Don said, except I think I ended up using pivot hinges. The hard thing to deal with is the chair rail running through. With pivot hinges you can put a bevel on the chair rail joints so they close up when the door is closed. Very time consuming to get the door adjusted perfectly, with magnetic touch latches to open it. Fun project though--it was all African mahogany, and covered a firewood dumbwaiter.

Guys in the shop got it to work with 170 euros. Thanks guys
    Strong Tower Construction
    Service Exceeding Expectation