Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Boots on the ground marketing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots on the ground marketing

I have recently started a Handyman Division to increase business during the downturn. While I have had some success, I still need to put more work on the schedule. I am running a nice ad in the local papers. I am also a member of the BBB and the Chamber.

A local company that was big into handyman work has gotten a very bad rap over being one of the top companies with the most BBB complaints. So I would like to take advantage of this recent developement.

Does anyone have suggestions about how I might create some prospects by getting in front of people? I am not opposed to door to door, but am not sure of it's effectiveness. One thing that hurt me was a short time in the market before things went south. I need to get aggressive and try to get more customers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Boots on the ground marketing

Check the local newspaper for articles about different groups and offer to speak at their meetings.

One that I saw which intrigued me was a divorced/widowed women's monthly meeting group. It was held at nite at someone's house. What an interesting opportunity to offer services or simply advice to a group many times taken advantage of! Remember, each of them has a friend....who has a friend....etc.....
    Take Care

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim. Good idea. I had spoken to church groups early on. It took some time, but I did get some good work.

When I speak to groups I feel like it needs to be a service to them and not a strong advertisement for me. They do generally come off pretty well.

Mark

Comment

Wow !......34 complaints on the guy you mentioned. Makes everybody look bad including you if you come up on a search on the local BBB services page. Maybe take that BB fee and put towards something else......? Google adwords ? You must have a website too.

All I did is goog handyman - Newton, NC
        http://www.bbb.org/charlotte/busines...kory-nc-125246

Aside from RE agents, insurance co's look for a list of new homeowners. As soon as they close and the deed / mortgage is recorded somebody's got a list of them. Stick to your better neighborhoods. These folks are already in a position to need things done.
        Last edited by Happy Home; 04-07-2012, 01:48 PM.
        Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

I am a little confused. My rating is an A. Why would I not want to be found on a search with this guy so someone can compare?

I should have mentioned that I am upgrading my online presence. Getting moved up in the Google stuff including ad words.

Also doing home shows and festivals.

Thinking about sending teenage son door to door this summer. Not sure if that works in upscale markets. Any advice?

Thanks,

Comment

99% of the people do not search BBB so order cards from www.gotprint.com 4x6 rounded corners full color glossy one side... 46 bucks

the larger size stands out.... make the card professional list things you do... email address and phone large.. list 10 things you do..

give them out daily to realtors, sw paint stores all over mailboxes in neighborhoods...

you design it on their site and order.. I just reordered some more great place and better than vista print.

make it known its a handyman service

paper is good..

send me copies of your add or picture of it... to my email let me look at it to help you.. I think a spoke to you a year or 2 ago about this.
            Kreg
            www.builtinking.com
            youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
            if you do not have fun every day... why?
            get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
            remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Do not put stuff in other peoples mail boxes! IIRC the fine is up to $1000 per + of course postage. Like most things, it is only illegal if someone complains/you get caught. You be the judge of if you can afford that.

Do not use tape or adhesive to attach flyers to other peoples property.
              Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Kreg, I saw in your signature that you give out 10 business cards a day. Who are you giving them to? How many jobs would you say you get from just handing out cards randomly? Oh and by the way Kreg, I just watched the first six videos on YouTube about your built in process. Good stuff so far. You may have a future in them.
                Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Comment

Mark

How many handyman jobs have you done.

Do you have email contact for past customers.
                  Mark Parlee
                  BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                  EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                  EDI Seminar Instructor
                  Level one thermographer (Snell)
                  www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                  You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Everyone's business is unique, but here's what I did. We recently launched a new (to us) product/service into our market. We certainly aren't the only ones doing this service, and but we found a way to build a better mousetrap at half the cost and twice the profit.

I had made several feble attempts to get our services off the ground but everything seemed laboriously slow. We ulti. mately end up doing the largest home and garden show in our area. It has paid off beyond expectations. In the 5 weeks since we did the show we've grossed 40% of last year's sales. It's worth noting that 2011 was a good year for us too; not great, but respectably good.

I'd recommend taking a serious look at this type of venue. There is a lot of work that goes into successfully marketing at a show, but if you're interested I'd be happy to share my insights.

It starts by knowing who is your target market, and what your message is; why should I buy from you?
                    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
                    yfc

Comment

Originally posted by dlhunter View Post
                      Kreg, I saw in your signature that you give out 10 business cards a day. Who are you giving them to? How many jobs would you say you get from just handing out cards randomly? Oh and by the way Kreg, I just watched the first six videos on YouTube about your built in process. Good stuff so far. You may have a future in them.
                      well most mail boxes have a round tube below for flyers etc.. use that

i give them out to anybody, standing in line at starbucks, person in front, person in back strike up a stupid conversation example:

Me: hey good morning you ready for an exciting day !
                      them: f no ! (whatever they say lol)
                      me: great hey here is my card if you know of anybody that needs a handyman, carpenter, elec what ever you do... give them my card... thanks.
                      them: really...(sometimes they say) do you install fans... do you do what ever yes I do get out of line.. then say let me get a hold of you and I can come by and give you a price what is your number? look at phone and start to put in in... they will usually follow and give it to you

I also then show prior pictures of work I have done with my iPhone they really get more excited remember pictures tell a story.

next

at counter having lunch, dinner, breakfast, out to dinner.. talk to the people next to you hey how ya doing... boy that meal looks good.. what is it..... talk a bit. then say what do you do? they will tell you and then ask what do you do... tell them briefly and then get out a card and give it to them

have some nice color simple to the point cards.. remember cards is what you leave with them and that is how they will remember you... old standard cards from 5 years ago printing is out for $50 bucks you can get full color glossy 2500 rounded corner cards for that amount.... www.gotprint.com they are better than vista print.

its all in telling your story to as minney people as you can day in and day out... just talking to people customers at hd, lowes wherever you are talk to them 99% will respond..

I saw a lady leaving starbucks and getting in her car that had interior decorator signs on it... went over introduced my self and said hey can I have your card I run into people from time to time that need your services.... got it and then gave her my card large one the 4x6 full color glossy rounded corners.... and then briefly showed her several pics of built ins and 4 months later got a refer eel and now I am her go to guy for stuff... over 10 gran of work so far..

results, it works and is all in the numbers..... i always refer it as this... some will... some won't.. so what..... next !

are remember this way.... when you would go to clubs and ask ladies to dance some would say no and a few yes... then some would dance again some wouldn't... 1 maybe you get number and go on date and take it from there....

probably 30% of my business comes this way maybe more....

its just telling your story day in and day out remember 10 cards a day = 3,650 cards a year and at 1% return that is 36 calls

but remember it is a ongoing thing... you know we all work 8-10 hours a day average... if you are not working that day spend just 50% of that day prospecting.

when I did insurance sales in 75 getting started I knocked on doors 250 a day no lie 5-6 days a week then at night hit the phones...100 calls on monday

it paid off again numbers.... people have to know who you are and how to find you its that simple and it works over and over and over again

I just gave out 2 cards while sitting here at starbucks, of course i just want the babe to call me for a date though!!! .. lol

excuse any typing errors i am listening to dark side of the moon on my headset while typing..

have a great day and you yes you can make it happen

I never see failure as failure but only as a learning experience to adjust my course towards my goals.
                      Kreg
                      www.builtinking.com
                      youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
                      if you do not have fun every day... why?
                      get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
                      remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Kreg why don't you stand on the corner and wash windshields and give out cards at the same time. This way you can defer the printing costs of the cards and flyers

That's a lot of personal intrusion IMO and I see it as being desperate if someone approached me and solicited their business in that manner

Of course shaking that many trees you will eventually get a nut or two to fall, but I believe energy would be better spent towards networking with other trades who compliment yours.

I've said it many times that your best source of referrals will be from your trade relationships, professional supply houses, electricians, plumbers, painters, tapers, designers, especially those in the upper end of town. You build a relationship with a good team of other pro's and you will never need a cold call wasting your time.
                        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by LIHR50 View Post
                          That's a lot of personal intrusion IMO and I see it as being desperate if someone approached me and solicited their business in that manner
                          While I agree that what is says is a little over the top I don't think it's desperate.

The most consistent problem with salespeople is they try to pretend like there not in sales.
                          My forum signature

Comment

Josh, Maybe desperate was the wrong word to use, but why would one waste time, energy and money by targeting the entire world with something that most people don't want.

Direct that energy towards the narrow market that you're in and go for the jugular.
                            Gary

Comment

If your goal is to annoy 3614 people per year and getting laid then try Kreg's method.

I believe that everyone in NC has a concealed carry permit, and I would not risk my son's life by sending him door to door.

The best way to increase sales is to concentrate on people that are receptive to being sold to.

Trade shows ( offer to organize an information day at your suppliers and involve other trades)

Truck or trucks professionally lettered, use them to run your daily errands, park in upscale shopping centers

Advertize consistently, drive traffic to your website. The website should offer a complete shopping experience including pricing, not just the usual " we are wonderful" followed by a slogan followed by a "call us"

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X