Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Price of shingles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of shingles

Has the price of shingles gone up over the last few years?

I was a little surprised by a recent roof replacement bid from the same company I've used before, and wondered if there's a larger market explanation or what. I'll talk to the estimator tomorrow, but in the mean time, anybody know any broad trends in roofing costs?
    thanks,
    kevin
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Re: Price of shingles

I've heard Roofing materials jumped when the market crashed. People staying put and one of the first things they fix on their house is the roof.Ive heard it blamed too on the price of oil speculation of course.Here in northeast penna.a10/12 roof and 12/12 roof (same house) the roofers are getting 55 $ a square

Comment

kfc510, Anytime oil goes up, shingles go up. The base material used in shingle manufacturing at least from the petro-chemical standpoint is a very low grade material and refineries have been upgraded to extract every ounce of higher grade fuels from the lower grades of crude oil.

The result has been that there is a smaller quantity of material available for things like shingles and the price goes up.

Prices I got earlier this year for an apartment building I own were in the $ 250 to $300 range for a tear-off and replace with 30 yr architecturals. The shingle options are all in the mid $ 90 to low $ 100/square range.
      "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Originally posted by calvert View Post
        kfc510, Anytime oil goes up, shingles go up.
        Prices I got earlier this year for an apartment building I own were in the $ 250 to $300 range for a tear-off and replace with 30 yr architecturals. The shingle options are all in the mid $ 90 to low $ 100/square range.
        That's what I was thinking, just looking for some numbers. And, I should clarify- these guys did two roofs for me last year, so I'm really wondering about year over year increases. How much were shingles running a year ago?

kevin
        “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

I'd say shingles have gone up 10% in last year. I haven't put much thought to it but i'm sure I've got 2-3 emails saying material pricing going up 5% from subs trying to close jobs before increase.
          My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by J.Buesking View Post
            I'd say shingles have gone up 10% in last year. I haven't put much thought to it but i'm sure I've got 2-3 emails saying material pricing going up 5% from subs trying to close jobs before increase.
            I would agree based on my observations, shingles probably went up 10%- 15% year over year.

Slate is starting to look more and more like a a good alternate. I just checked pricing for 3/8" thickness in an S-1 grade and the numbers are basically unchanged from 4 years ago... about $450.00/sq. That would probably be a hundred + year roof. Don't have to worry about shingle manufacturers' worthless warranties. Just need customers who can think long term.
            "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

I was told I can expect another 12-15% later this month which would push the material over 100/sq for T-30.
              Prices never go down it seems, a few years back when oil & gas was high again they increased costs serveral times that year. They held steady for about a year after that but never went down. We were told storm damage around the country shorted supply & drove up demand as well.
              I think I was told my area was last in the country to switch to metric at the time too which didnt help because we cant match materials from 6 years ago. I guess it helped the company's cause with insurance claims.
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by calvert View Post
                Don't have to worry about shingle manufacturers' worthless warranties.
                What makes them worthless?

Comment

They are pretty much worthless. Shingle failure is so rare. It's almost always the elements or installer error.

I've never heard of a manufacturer paying out for there problem. Even if they do most only cover material and not labor, flashing, sealants, etc. Unless you by the extended warranty that's like an additional 7.00 per square.
                  My forum signature

Comment

Have seen some cases with the manufacturer replacing shingles with deep cracks but not labor.
                    The manufacturer has always had an out..the "Limited warranty" which says "with proper venting". Most existing homes dont have the intake venting need to evenly cool a roof but truth be said I now have roofs under my belt that are 20yrs old and they might start to look bad before they leak. And I used to tell people that they will grow tired of the color or its appearance before it leaks.
                    Tom

Comment

As far as warranty goes, I'm pretty sure all three tiers of GAF shingles my roofer installs come with a 50-year warranty, but they pretty much won't install the lowest tier unless you beg for it, because they don't really trust them.

Incidentally, the estimator said their costs have risen 3-5% year over year. He knocked $1500 off the bid, lowering it from $14k to $12,500 after some discussion of the price.

kevin

Comment

Wow thats wierd, when does the roofer have a choice in what the owner likes? When the style was a given and the color was the only factor I would suggest a manufacturer, thats it. I personally disliked OC because they would melt together before installing and the amount of fiberglass in the shingle would wear your finger print away after pulling shingles all day.

JMO I think other than a slate, tile or shake roof that can be successfuly power washed it would be nuts to install any asphalt roof that will look terrible in 20 years.
                        Tom

Comment

They have all gone to limited lifetime warranty on all lines of shingles except Tamko. I forgot which major player did it first but they all followed suit.

Most have a 10-15 year none prorated. It will take a lot work to get a manufacturer to pay out in this area. There's lots of freak hail/wind storms. Most homeowners get a free roof from their insurance before they fail and need replaced.

I just unloaded 865 square of the 300lb Certainteed Landmark Premiums on a job this morning. For the cost I would have put on a 24g metal panel. These job is getting 6nails per shingle, cleated drip edge, with metal pans in the valley.
                          My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by Top Notch View Post
                            Wow thats wierd, when does the roofer have a choice in what the owner likes? When the style was a given and the color was the only factor I would suggest a manufacturer, thats it.
                            These guys are doing 10 roofs a week, they're not running out to HD for a few bundles of whatever the homeowner picks out. I'm sure they have an arrangement with GAF, and that's fine with me.

kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kfc510 View Post
                              These guys are doing 10 roofs a week, they're not running out to HD for a few bundles of whatever the homeowner picks out. I'm sure they have an arrangement with GAF, and that's fine with me.

kevin
                              Some guys will hold inventory and encourage only what they have in the yard. Thats smart businees for the roofing company if they can do it and price increases are certain.
                              If that were the case and they do a couple of roofs a year for you, do you go else where if you dont want to use what they push?
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X