Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tablet questions

Joe,

I've noticed alot of restaurants are using iPads instead of wine and appetizer menus. It stays locked on that screen or screens. It seems to be more and more popular. I know some of them, and can't imagine they went through the expense of proprietary software. How are they doing this, and can it be easily done in our industry ?
    Chris Cardillo
    Founder
    SpecBid.com
    ccardillo@specbid.com

Joe
    Yes, it is Android we are talking about. The software is a municipal permit program which can now run on a tablet.

The issues are there is so much else out there besides this proprietary locked down program that I would like to actually get more use out of it, meaning the tablet, instead of jotting down a note, or clicking on a box, and it goes to the office. I want to be able to use it as my sidekick, and do multiple things, not just clik on a box "approved"..
    Take Care

Jim

Chris - My guess is there is/are one or more generic "Menu" apps someone has developed for the restaurant industry that can be customized for "your" restaurant. If it's an iPad app - unless they're using jailbroken devices, the app they're using is going to be listed in the AppStore - so it should be easy enough to locate. I could see a chain like Applebee's definitely developing their own app... just not mom/pop restaurant. But to my understanding - even a proprietary deal like that has to go through the same channels and will be listedin the AppStore.

JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Thanks Joe, that makes sense. Especially w larger chains. I recently took my kids to a chain restaurant and they were using a tablet to seat people. Next time I see one, I'll look a little more closely to see what app they are using. It's such an interesting topic. Especially w more and more company owned tablets popping up in the field.
    Last edited by SpecBid; 04-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Chris Cardillo
    Founder
    SpecBid.com
    ccardillo@specbid.com

Jim
    See.... you're the nightmare all the corporate IT guys are worried about ;-) The guy who wants to do their own thing with a locked-down corporate tablet but can't... So they bring their own to the party. And whether there's any real threat from that or not - it drives corporate IT people nuts because now there's a ginormous hole in their systems and security.

The other thing that stinks about iPads (specifically) in this scenario... just about the time that corporate IT can do everything to a Windows device remotely - now all of a sudden there are piles of iPads that have to be physically manipulated to install/update stuff. That's a quantum shift in the way IT depts. have been operating the past 5-6 yrs and it creates all kinds of problems for employees of larger companies as well.

Somebody (Jerrald?) more familiar with the iOS help me out here --- I've found tons of remote control software that will allow an iPad/iPhone to manipulate a Windows PC or a Mac... but nothing that goes the other direction. My 90 yr old Aunt has an iPad that I would LOVE to be able to deal with remotely - but so far the only way I've been able to update it for her, or install stuff on it for her, or to make even simple account changes on it for her - is to drive the hour in each direction to physically pick it up and take it back. So that's 4 hrs on the road and $50 of gas every time.

I need to get (a lot) more familiar with this issue because it's definitely becoming a problem - but my guess would be that you'll see Android getting a lot more traction in the corporate world simply because there's no "Apple" controlling every aspect of it - the devices are potentially less expensive (in theory you could buy a bunch of Kindle Fires and hack them to do one or two specific things) ... and there's no "AppStore" process that every single piece of software has to comply with.

Joe Stoddard

OK, I may be a nightmare, but I'm really trying to function within their security restraints. I now understand more about their concerns, but there is still that big wasteful hole where other things can be done with a tablet besides running the permit software.

They have to pay xyz for each tablet's monthly service, in this case Sprint. Now I'll have this with me both during the day and off hours. So if I'm sitting at home, and don't want to grab a laptop I can fire up the tablet. Now, if the Sprint service for some reason doesn't provide adequate service connectivity where I live, I would want to set up another connection using Verizon. That is a situation which costs neither party anything because the internet is already paid for!! I have city email, as well as personal email, I now check my city email sometimes thru my verizon service, having a tablet set up to check both would be nice!

I'm not sure I'll be able to do that yet, use both services. Now again, there are many unknown apps which may be desirable. I may want a direct hook to ICC for code look-ups, and someone else may want to do their banking. I think IT will install any app we want as long as it's free so I think this is going to work out, eventually. As part of the learning curve I'm not sure of everything to ask for, and at the same time IT doesn't know all of their issues yet either.

I think we'll learn together, but it's pretty apparent that tablet and smart phones are taking over.

At least I didn't ask them to put Angry Birds app on them :-)
    Take Care

Jim

I am convinced they way to make the iPad work well in the field is have a web based data base. Something like an online Microsoft Access, or a Zoho Creator, I am very close to taking on something like this.

I toyed with applications on the iPad, then drifted to a Windows 7 tablet computer. My latest idea is the web based application. I think if you dumb down the device (tablet) then put all of the mechanics in the online software, you will overlook the limitation of a Tablet, but take advantage of it portability and strength in web surfing.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

You make a good point - IMO one of the BEST uses for these devices is to access the various cross-platform web-based apps that are out there.. vs. just using stand-alone apps on the device itself.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Well, one of the problems with that idea - I don't know of any tablets that can have multiple 3G/4G service providers - it would require multiple SIM chips and/or radios on board. Verizon is CDMA.... ATT and Sprint are GSM devices. So to do both Verizon and ATT on the same tablet you'd need a tablet wtih both radios. To do both Sprint and ATT on the same tablet at the same time you'd need to swap out SIM cards from one provider to another.

You can of course have both 3G and WiFi on the better tablets.

I think many "work" situations are going to lock down the tablets so you can only do 'work' stuff with them - if that's your employer - you might have to buy a second one for your own use.

FWIW - I've never been into Draconian IT policy - even when I was doing the IT for JLC I encouraged users to use "their" laptops any way they wanted to. For every minor issue that it caused we'd get 100s of hours of extra productivity out of people yearly for the simple reason that they'd keep working at home if they could use the laptop at home and have it set up how they wanted it. That's how I'd want to be treated and that's how I did it. To me that was a no-brainer.... I just made sure I had drive images for every laptop in inventory so if somebody screwed it up - I could take it right back to a workable company set-up in an hour or so. They'd lose whatever "personalizations" they added to them - but that's the price they paid for doing stupid things.

To be fair about it though - this was '98 or so .... at that time we were using 95% dial-up modems and RAS to get mobile users connected to the corporate network - and the Internet was nowhere near as dangerous as it is today. And the drive images all fit on a CD. Today I'd have to take a different approach - for one thing all the stuff we had on the corporate network would be cloud-based.

When Hanley-Wood bought the company - they implemented a much more traditional and locked-down approach to IT. To be fair about that - they're dealing with many times as many people in a bunch more locations - they're doing what every larger company is told by their lawyers they need to do to protect intellectual property, etc etc Fair enough - it's just nowhere near as much fun. And I sure wouldn't have any reason to take a locked-down corporate laptop home with me. That's the trade-off bigger companies consciously make.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Joe
    I forgot about the multiple service provider issue, most tablets are provider specific. I tried to get IT to buy 12 verizon accounts versus the Sprint coverage, but that isn't an option at this time. Now the demo we saw used ATT into our system, so I know they can use verizon if the sprint network has problems, but they would like to stay with one provider.

The tablets are supposed to be 4g + wifi and if they ordered the newest, 4g LTE+wifi. The effort was made in a meeting to encourage them to buy the most current equipment which would be longer life.

I'll get the first one early next week.
    Take Care

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post
    You make a good point - IMO one of the BEST uses for these devices is to access the various cross-platform web-based apps that are out there.. vs. just using stand-alone apps on the device itself.

JLS
    This is the exact reason why we built a web based app that works with all operating systems. Your response echoes exactly what we heard from industry users / IT personnel for a year before we went into development.
    Chris Cardillo
    Founder
    SpecBid.com
    ccardillo@specbid.com

Quote Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post
    …Somebody (Jerrald?) more familiar with the iOS help me out here --- I've found tons of remote control software that will allow an iPad/iPhone to manipulate a Windows PC or a Mac... but nothing that goes the other direction. My 90 yr old Aunt has an iPad that I would LOVE to be able to deal with remotely - but so far the only way I've been able to update it for her, or install stuff on it for her, or to make even simple account changes on it for her - is to drive the hour in each direction to physically pick it up and take it back. So that's 4 hrs on the road and $50 of gas every time.

I need to get (a lot) more familiar with this issue because it's definitely becoming a problem - but my guess would be that you'll see Android getting a lot more traction in the corporate world simply because there's no "Apple" controlling every aspect of it - the devices are potentially less expensive (in theory you could buy a bunch of Kindle Fires and hack them to do one or two specific things) ... and there's no "AppStore" process that every single piece of software has to comply with.
    iOs? Yes there are a couple although I will confess I'm not all to familiar with them myself. It just hasn't come up,…(yet). Citrix has GoToManage and there's MobileIron which is what I understand or think I have heard the military uses.

Since my applications are developed in FileMaker and I'm not really concerned if iPad users have Angry Birds, DrawSomething or the NY Times installed on their iPads in addition to my software tools I use a trick I picked up from Colbri Solutions about ‘One-Click’ Updating of a FileMaker Go Solution on a Mobile iOS Device to update the applications I develop.

Going all the way back to James' original question although changing it from Android to iPad I'm wondering can you have two different user accounts on one iPad? Two different Apple IDs or iTunes accounts? I don't really know. Googling that question as I write this reply this morning it appears that yes maybe you can: Create Multiple User Accounts for a Shared iPad - CBS News.