Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Colonial balustrade detail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonial balustrade detail

I am looking for a traditional detail for a balustrade over the front door of a center entry colonial. The owner would like some ornamentation, but is unsure which way to go. There was a nice article on This is Carpentry which showed a Chippendale design, but I think that is a little over the top. I thought of a panel in the shape of a shield, but they don't like that either.

I have attached a drawing done with Sketchup so you have an idea what I'm talking about. Everything is cedar except the two large columns, which are fiberglass. In the drawing, the lower right column is not centered, but the balustrade is pretty accurate (This was a learning experience using Sketchup, it seems pretty cool.) Does anyone know a source for a historically accurate detail for this?

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files
Working...
X