Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Discussion Started With Jim And Lavrans Re My Move Back Into Project Management

Quote Originally Posted by dave_k View Post
    Tom, Whether you can pull off being a PM and site super in one depends on the complexity of the job. It also depends on the organizational structure of the company.

I found that when things are really moving on a project I have a lineup waiting to talk to me. It's non stop. I wouldn't really want to be chasing down my tile shipment and writing up change notices as well.

It's also nice to have some support. It's nice to have an ally with the same vested interests in meetings. You can persuade..., do the good cop, bad cop routine, tag team, "I've asked the PM about an advance and he said no" You know.
    The complexity of the job is a key as to whether one man can do both PM and super. As are subs that know exactly what you require, vendors that consistently deliver quality products, in a timely manner, and get the orders correct, contract documents that are accurate, etc. It essentially comes down to how many "fires" you have to put out on a day-to-day basis as to how much you can manage.

I know trade contractors need questions answered, but I'm of the belief that most things can be defined ahead of time. I was so impressed when visiting the jobsite of the PM that was above me once, that as he walked me from room to room, not one sub had any major questions to ask him. He had so much going on, and it was as if it was on auto pilot! That's the guy I want to be.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Default Re: Discussion Started With Jim And Lavrans Re My Move Back Into Project Management

Quote Originally Posted by TSJHD1 View Post
    I know trade contractors need questions answered, but I'm of the belief that most things can be defined ahead of time. I was so impressed when visiting the jobsite of the PM that was above me once, that as he walked me from room to room, not one sub had any major questions to ask him. He had so much going on, and it was as if it was on auto pilot! That's the guy I want to be.

Tom
    Tom, be careful of what you wish for: I've worked for many PM's who were so discombobulated that I KNEW it was better to NOT ASK any question LOL!

Of course, I've also worked for the good ones that got you all the info you needed, before you had to ask. I guess that's the type you were referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJHD1 View Post
    It's not what you know. It's who you know that knows that you know what you know.

I believe networking will play a large part, but I don't think I can rely too heavily on a resume. I see it being a part of my presentation, however in this market one has to do more as far as I'm concerned.

I want to relocate to DC. I've been hearing positive reports of the amount of work available and how it's been on the rise in DC, NOVA, and Montgomery County, so that's one reason why I want to move.

How do you feel about the amount of work in these areas?

Tom
    Networking will be a big factor in finding a job. If you play golf Rommel is having big charity golf tournament over here should be plenty of contractors there. As you know this a tight market & if somebody does not know you they know somebody that does. The DC Metro area has always had work & will always have work. Most of the POS companies have gone under, but a few still remain. If you relocate to the DC metro area remember it's a different world compared to your side of the creek. If I hear of someone looking to hire a PM I will PM you with their info.

Quote Originally Posted by jimAKAblue View Post
    Of course, I've also worked for the good ones that got you all the info you needed, before you had to ask. I guess that's the type you were referring to.
    Lol.... Yes. He was really good!

Quote Originally Posted by wyattg View Post
    If you relocate to the DC metro area remember it's a different world compared to your side of the creek. If I hear of someone looking to hire a PM I will PM you with their info.
    Thanks very much!

Who was the guy who burned his ships when he reached the new world? Cortez? As a result, the immigrants were well-motivated to succeed. Knowing DC, if you were me, would you move there first, then look for the job? Or the other way around? I'm leaning toward moving first. My thought is that it will immerse me into the area, and I will have little else to focus on other than getting the job. (I realize there is plenty that can distract me, but I honestly see myself being completely zeroed in on the task at hand if I go ahead and make the move.)

Tom
    Last edited by TSJHD1; 03-31-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

It was Cortez & it was done to end thoughts of loyality to the Governor of Cuba by some of his men, because Cortez committed mutnity by going to Mexico.

I would get a job over here 1st, because the cost of living is higher over here. I would also look @ moving to Howard county. That would put you in the middle of DC, Balt. & Annapolis & you will never know where your site will be.Traffic over here is bad you want to be as close to site as you can. I have a Cousin that works for big commercial GC based out of DC he lives is Balt. county he just finished a job in DC it took him 1-1/2 to get to the job. Now he is working on a job in NOVA & takes him 2-1/4 hrs. to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrans View Post
    I'm starting up next month in this program and, if I like it, will get a certificate. It's a PMP management cert., which is...

PMP is a waste of time for most construction management work. if you are building a nuclear submarine, go for it. They (people who follow the PMP regime) are really hung up on procedures and documentation, but really don't have a clue how to manage a project. They can run a meeting perfectly, and puiblish a set of minutes that would make congress look lame, but that's about it. We have a group called the corporate project management office, and they all have pmp certificates, and I wouldn't give you a dime for any of them when it comes to real world managing. When there is a very large corporate initiative, like converting to a whole new computer system or similar, they have their place.