Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Good Report from Straube/BSC on masonry retrofits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Report from Straube/BSC on masonry retrofits

You can download it for free here. And our boy Mike Maines gets a mention in the piece and in the bibliography.

Short version: it's complicated.

Re: Good Report from Straube/BSC on masonry retrofits

Skimmed through to page 48. It's a more detailed version of what they already had posted a while ago....didn't see Mike in there yet, I'll get to that.

Glad I followed all the recommendations for my recent project...but what they never mention (didn't read all pages yet), is if and when the outside i painted.
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

See page 39. 5.4 Hybrid Spray Foam & Fibrous insulation

Interesting article, but my eyes hurt now. I'll have to finish it another time.
      They sure don't buildem like they used to. We have laws against that now. ;-)

Comment

Never realized Mike coined that phrase, nice work Mike.

As far as two separate subs doing insulation on the same wall(s)...not sure I would do that. If there's a problem, who is to blame? And frankly, what is the real cost savings to me to have to manage two separate subs when one can do the job once and be done, ready for drywall.

I have no problem with the approach, it just seems to detailed and time consuming for what it achieves science wise and budget wise.

Comment

Dutchman,
          Michael Maines wrote a good article on the flash-and-batt method, but I'm pretty sure he didn't coin the phrase.

The technique was described as the "flash-and-dash" method in the December 2001 issue of Energy Design Update; the article appeared ten years before Maines' article.

My own article on the technique, "Flash-and-Batt Insulation," appeared in the November 2007 issue of Energy Design Update -- four years before Mike Maines' article.

Comment

Mike was, however, the first one to use the term to apply to co-ed naked softball.

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Dan View Post
              Mike was, however, the first one to use the term to apply to co-ed naked softball.
              Co-ed naked soft ball, Pretty Good House, these guys are having a good time in Portland, Maine.
              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
                Co-ed naked soft ball, Pretty Good House, these guys are having a good time in Portland, Maine.
                We're living the dream up here buddy.
                Mike

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it. -P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Dan,
                  Big smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewoodrock View Post
                    We're living the dream up here buddy.
                    Yup, all we do is sit around eating lobster all day....it's great.

Comment

Working...
                    X