Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Paperstone countertop

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Uh, "kept a piece rolling around in the back of my truck"...as if that was experimentation versus being too lazy to clean out the bed of you truck.
    Let's just call it a multi-vector controlled laboratory under atmospheric conditions. And duress.

We did a few restaurant counters with it, worked well with regular woodworking tools and held up well as of the last I heard about it.

Love it. So, I guess it also withstands constant abuse from empty beer bottles...not only will it perform under laboratory demands, but also fraternities.
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

Where's the like button?
    Geoff

We have done a half dozen or so kitchens with paperstone or richlite.
    Workability is about the same.
    I like the look of richlite better. Its a little more uniform in color while the paperstone has a slightly more mottled finish.
    You technically need to be a certified installer to order richlite. (but call around, someone may sell it to you anyway (especially if you tell them you arent seaming it. They just want to be sure youre not going to make their product look bad!

I have had richlite in my house for two yrs and we love it. It does scratch but if you wipe mineral oil on it bout 3 times a yr (or when ever it starts to dry out) it brings it back to like new. Color actually tends to darken a little over time from my experience (as opposed to fade out).

Im a big fan of the stuff. Think its a huge step up from all the gaudy granite everybody loves so much. And a heck of a lot more sustainable (though I live in oregon, pretty close to all the manufacturers)

Quote Originally Posted by jpeaton View Post
    I have had richlite in my house for two yrs and we love it.

Im a big fan of the stuff.
    So far we seem to be getting a pretty good review. I'm curious to know how it holds up to setting a hot pan on it?
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Quote Originally Posted by tomthetoolman40 View Post
    I'm curious to know how it holds up to setting a hot pan on it?
    I think richlite says it can handle 350degree. Install class in seattle says pan of boiling water is ok but better be careful with a cast iron skillet hot off the stove.

I just keep hot pans off mine, but after you put it in your place you should set a scorched pan on it and report to us what happens!
    (I actually have some scraps and will someday bring one in the kitchen for testing.)

Here's an update: We began fabrication of two sections at our shop today. One will have an under-mount sink. It looks like slate, cuts like a very hard wood (be sure to use new or newly sharpened blades, and cut slowly to prevent overheating the blade). Doesn't fracture like stone.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeaton View Post
    I think richlite says it can handle 350degree. Install class in seattle says pan of boiling water is ok but better be careful with a cast iron skillet hot off the stove.

I just keep hot pans off mine, but after you put it in your place you should set a scorched pan on it and report to us what happens!
    (I actually have some scraps and will someday bring one in the kitchen for testing.)
    I'm going to make a cutting board out of some scrap, and will report back after some use.
    Tom

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

I'm going to do a job with Richlite, but I found a way to have it CNC'd to my drawings and delivered ready to install. I got some samples of the material and abused them... holds up pretty well, and will be a cheaper than stone.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Those prices on that link are high!

I've never used the product but at those prices I can get granite or quartz installed for less.

1" material costs between ~$26 and $33 per square foot in sheet form, you take it from there.
    Website - Facebook

I like the idea of using woodworking tools and not needing a Stone fabricator for installation.

How are you joining seams?

Plastic biscuits and epoxy.
    Website - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tomthetoolman40 View Post
    I'm going to make a cutting board out of some scrap, and will report back after some use.
    My wife and I both love the cutting board. Impervious to water (even ran through dishwasher). Does leave cut marks from knives, so I wouldn't use the actual counter-top to cut on.
    Tom

Hey Tom --

Thanks for the update (and to all the other posters in this thread). I'll be speccing some kind of countertop at some point in my version of the PGH and was trying to remember this stuff!

Glad to hear you put it through the d/w -- this quote from the link you posted had me a little worried:

"Highly resistant to stains and practically impervious to water" I kinda want it to say "totally impervious to water." But I suppose my butcher block countertop's not totally impervious and it's doing fine four years on. I do tend to dry it off. I guess laminate's about the only thing that's totally impervious...
    No brains, no headaches

Jeff