Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

dressed stone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dressed stone

*8 months in on the restoration of an 1860's farmstead for the county historical society. (which is nice, as I've been able to thread smaller jobs in to help get through the downturn)
    we need to recreate a stone hearth and fireplace in the stone kitchen to match the two in the parlors of the main house. The stone appears to have been sawn and then dimpled with a pointed chisel and mallet. Its bluish fieldstone but not sedimentary, I wonder if their are any sources for this. The firebox is like a Rumford with a rougher stone back wall that I'm assuming was parged with mortar. I'll try and attach a pic if it'd help.

Re: dressed stone

A photo would be great. Sounds like it could be slate?

Comment

trowandholden.com/StoneCuttingTools, I always see these guys advertise in one of the journals that I get.
      "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

http://www.trowandholden.com/

;-)

Phil
        It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

thanks for the link, I called trowelandholden talked to Randy who knows his ****, sent him pics, he identified the finish as bush-hammer finish or stipled told me the tools to use and the # of a company which will saw the stone and dress it, if I provide the stone and don't hold them liable for any that break.
          Best tool purchased since !988 'smart phone'

Comment

I started a job last fall that involved matching a bush hammered stone look on a stuccoed foundation. The original house was built in 1870 and was laid with a rubble stone foundation that was subsequently parged and decorated with a series of scribe lines to simulate stone and given the bush hammered look with a texturing tool. Each of the pseudo stones was then bordered with a grooved edge detail. Spent a lot of time cutting patterns in some mahogany blocks to create the tools I needed to match the look.

The owner of the house re-created the front porch which was significantly eliminated years ago and in the process wanted to match the foundation detail. I have to get back in a few weeks to try and finish up.The house was featured twice last year in "Victorian Homes Magazine".
            "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Where is Dallas Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Hdeanb View Post
                Where is Dallas Pa.
                Dallas, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas,_PennsylvaniaCached - Similar

Northeast part of the state, near Scranton and Wilkes-Barre,original energy capital of the US, (coal) now producing natural gas. A fair number of old things to work on, just have to have the right customers. I have also done some restoration work in NJ, CT, RI,and NH.

Were you involved in any of the recent outbreaks of foul weather ? I have some material that was supposed to be shipped from Indiana last week and I have not heard from the supplier.
                "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

The tornados touched down in within 30 mi. in every direction. We had hail, and a rain of insulation, roofing and sheet goods. The toddler found in the field was from a family whose neighbor had gotten them from their trailer to shelter in his house, thinking it better built. He survived, with injuries.
                  As for the dressed stone, found a company in Louisville that will cut and dress it. But I'll need more to restore some walls , so I'm thinking of tooling up.

Comment

Good to hear you were unscathed by the storms. Unfortunately, for others, things did not turn out so well and we can only offer our well wishes and physical support to some degree.

Hope the stone work goes well and it never hurts to learn a new diiscipline. There are plenty of rocks to practice on. There are some beautiful stone buildings in my area and I often marvel at the skill and sheer physical force it took to build these structures.
                    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Working...
                    X