Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to build a shower table

OK, I posted a little while ago about the problem with a shower table. Although I received a number of suggestions for the failure and repair the best thing to do is to start all over. Here is the scenario:

The shower table is build out of wood. The size is 6'-6" by 3'-0", 24" height. The table is attached to the wall on two sides. The top of the table is slanted 1/4" per foot on the 6'-6" side.

The tiles are wall tiles 9" x 12".

What is the best way to tile this to avoid water problems. If the suggestion is to use a vinyl shower pan over the table and then cement board, how would you attach the cement board to the vinyl.

If the suggestion is to build a cement bed over the vinyl then how high, and do you think that there could be any issue with the edge crumbling.

About the tiles, I guess that thinnest is the way to go. What size if trawl should I use.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Default Re: How to build a shower table

I think that you should hire a professional. There I said it... someone needed to.

I thought we did this before....

Do a mud bed on the table (preferably the whole shower). Use a surface water proofing system on the mud bed. You'll have to get the detail between the surface water proofing and the wall/floor water proofing right though. Install the tile.

But since grout is porous, you would be better off with a sheet of marble or something similar to decrease the water load to the membrane.
    HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
    Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
    General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Build it open slat out of teak, forgo the tile.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Why is there a table in the shower.
    Why is there a table that size in the shower.

You're obviously stuck on the idea.
    Gotta have it for some reason.
    But really.
    A bad idea is a bad idea.

Do like Tom says & build it out of Teak.
    Or get rid of the wood and build it out of fiberglass or stainless.
    Or just don't do it. Unless there's some really, really good reason for it.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

A client of ours just had a reputable tile firm do a similar bench and it leaks, so just saying "hire a pro" is not necessarily the answer. Lots of pros seem to have a hard time with waterproofing a bench. That's why I agree with the other guys and prefer to have no bench. If you have to have a bench, there is a good product made of aluminum that attaches to the walls but is open underneath. You fill it with mud and tile the top. Can't think of the name, sorry.

"Why is there a table in the shower.
    Why is there a table that size in the shower."

lavrans, my thoughts too.

I would go to my stone fabricator and make up a full size piece supported by SS brackets of some sorts and get rid of the wood.

OP should clarify table or bench.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

6'-6" by 3'-0", is person size. So not only does it have to be waterproof, it has to be able to take substantial weight without moving at all or the grout will crack.

Must be an interesting application that the OP doesn't want to explain what it is for. ;-;

Quote Originally Posted by mike maines View Post
    A client of ours just had a reputable tile firm do a similar bench and it leaks, so just saying "hire a pro" is not necessarily the answer. Lots of pros seem to have a hard time with waterproofing a bench. That's why I agree with the other guys and prefer to have no bench. If you have to have a bench, there is a good product made of aluminum that attaches to the walls but is open underneath. You fill it with mud and tile the top. Can't think of the name, sorry.

You are describing a "Better Bench".

Quote Originally Posted by Kgphoto View Post
    Right, thanks! http://innoviscorp.com/better-bench

Quote Originally Posted by Kgphoto View Post
    No kidding, I never knew they made one that big. That's the ticket right there

He said it was for a spa.
    I would think wood, then durock with Kerdi on it, would be fine. Follow the directions and run the Kerdi up the walls a good ways. Set tile per Kerdi instructions.
    Optional to use vinyl liner between plywood and durock. Probably slightly better than nothing even with durock screw holes in it, but only slightly.
    There are a lot of opportunities to make mistakes with any tile & waterproofing setup, so a more-or-less freestanding table as others have described does have the virtue of taking all those possibilities out of play.

based off the size it sounds more like a giant bench rather than a table. that said it needs to be built to be able to support weight. surface applied membrane per manufacturers spec.
    Brad

Wedi makes spa benches and seats.