Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hospital Plastic Lam Top Repairs

I may have a job repairing damaged plastic lam tops in a Dialysis clinic. About 150 lineal feet of top 18 inches wide that surround the treatment area. The existing edges are loose and chipped and the tops have large chips on their edges. I proposed overlaying with solid surface but that was out of the budget. Probably all new tops also.

1. Can I overlay tops with new plastic lam, using bondo or similar to fill the large chipped areas?

2. We need a more durable edge. If I can find pvc edging in a 1 1/2 inch size can that be field applied? Any other type of edging practical? Wood is not an option in this setting.

Trying to make a job for myself and fit into their budget. No luck on the internet looking for edging, especially 1 1/2". Maybe not asking the right question.

Thanks, John

Default Re: Hospital Plastic Lam Top Repairs

You could always remove the existing Plam using a heat gun and then install new.

John,

Is there a high pressure laminate fabricator in your area? I would definitely check them out and give them the run down on your specifics. You may surprise yourself and make money by setting up the project and subbing it out to them, or get their input and advice as to the best course to take and use them for your material supplier.

I have ideas of what I'd do, but from the tone of it there is a budget issue which is restricting your options.

I'm guessing this is a self edge top. If so you can add an 1 1/2" aluminum edge that's powder coated to whatever color they need. It's not a look for everyone, but it's cheap, easy and durable. They should be using solid surface, maybe they aren't charging enough for dialysis
    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
    yfc

You can laminate directly to the existing plam if it's sound. You'll have to do a good job filling and sand the existing plam.

No matter what edging you use it's only going to be as strong as the adhesive.

The adhesive is going to be the weak link on the entire job. I would use a low door solvent spray like staput. I've used a butane based spray in hospitals for years. I've never had a problem getting it approved for use on hospital projects. Stay away from brushes, rollers and especially latex

This sounds familiar. I did the exact same job 7 or 8 years ago at both a dialysis clinic and hospital. At both places we had to work while patients were getting treatment.

At the clinic, we overlayed new plastic laminate with low odor glue. For edging we used 1/8" x 1 1/2" flat aluminum stock. We glued it with liquid nails.

At the hospital we did p.lam. on the top and edges. That was a big PITA.

Bondo worked fine for filling voids, but we had to use it sparingly because of the odor.
    Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

It's funny how they somehow think it's going to be cheaper for a guy to come in and laminate on site than to just make new plam tops in a shop and install them.
    Last edited by dave_k; 02-17-2012 at 07:11 AM.

For sanitary reasons you would not want any joints with applied front edging of different material.
    Also, working while patients are getting treatment, health dept may have something to say about that, what with glue, routers and dust !.

If they are cost conscience (cheap), why not get some post formed tops and just replace ?

http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Cou...Id=10051#specs

I'm sure a local shop could do 18" wide tops and be in the price neighborhood and you get to do a one day install.
    Last edited by SteveC; 02-17-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

I won't comment on the actual repairs, but I will comment on the need for proper infection control measures while you're doing the work. Have you figured the cost of dust walls, negative air systems, etc., into your price to prevent contaminating the ductwork and adjacent areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
    I won't comment on the actual repairs, but I will comment on the need for proper infection control measures while you're doing the work. Have you figured the cost of dust walls, negative air systems, etc., into your price to prevent contaminating the ductwork and adjacent areas?

Bob, completely agree and although I didn't go into all the details in my first post, the reason for my recommendation is because a fabricator in the area probably has dealt with many types of projects, commercial, institutional, etc.. and understands what is required for such an application, not to mention the containment requirements of contaminates in a medical environment.

Additional thought, I understand there is a budget, but if there are health regulations that dictate the interior surfaces of the counter top the budget must meet the specs.?? not the other way around? Of course we don't know all the details, but it's just another thought that comes to mind.
    Last edited by LIHR50; 02-17-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks for the replies. I'm doing other work there outside of the treatment area. The administrator came up with the overlay idea which sounds like a poor one after thinking more clearly about it, which is why I asked. The work has to be done after hours or on Sunday. A metal arm apparatus with a TV at every station, maybe 20 of them, to be taken down and replaced. It is not as simple an install as it sounds.

I work in hospitals most of the time, and anything with odors,fumes or dust has to be contained and exhausted to the exterior of the building, or filtered with an negative air machine. I feel that any fab work that could be done in the shop and shipped to the job site ready to install with minimal work is huge, especially with all the the I.C. concerns. Do what ever work you can do outside the hospital to minimize the amount of risk to patients and hospital staff.

For edging you could also use rubber t mould. Use a slot cutter on the edge and it goes in with a rubber mallet.

I also think that buying all new tops would be much cheaper. It takes a long time to do things like this on-site. Find a local manufacturer, not Depot. My local guy is $11 a linear ft.

If you have a vacuum bag for to provide clamping pressure good old elmers glue works great to holding HPL down. No fumes no smell and a stronger then the substrate bond.

I had a similar call on a dialysis clinic. It had radius ends on tops and other cabinets sitting on the tops which ruled out any postformed work. After I gave them a price I never heard back.

Re: laminating over existing; I have done that in residential work with no problems.