Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor

Been runnin' on multiple pancake compressors for years and 2 of them finally died. I am looking for single electric compressor that will run up to 3 framing guns, engineered lumber, etc. Any suggestions on models, hp, tank size, etc?
    Last edited by tucker; 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM.

Re: Compressor

We've absolutely abused the Dewalt / Emglo 2gal one (single tank) for the last 6 years with not one problem, I wouldn't have another one. The only issue is that it's kinda loud. It has two ports but we use a splitter to make it run 4 guns.

Not sure if it really matters, but I only use AMSoil (sp) as an oil...in anything compressor related.
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

Makita mac2400. Had for 6 years . It's a tank. Starts all weather. Change oil 2x a year - winter and summer. Runs 2 to 3 framers, roofers, siders. Heavy but very quiet. Well built. Just got Mac700 for little stuff. Looking forward to using.

Comment

Second on the 2400. I'd like to emphasize the "quiet" part. 'Cause it is. No problems at all, but I have been looking for something much smaller. Something you could run your finish guns off, just doing, say, one room of trim. The 2400, as mentioned above, is indeed a tank. A beast, even. IOW, it's a heavy mother, but for framing an addition, it's perfect.
        No brains, no headaches

Jeff

Comment

I would really like to get something like a wheelbarrow Jenny that throws out 8+ cfm, but I don't do enough framing to really rationalize the 1k plus $ 250 shipping. We only really frame 1 house and a odd addtion/garage/deck per year.

In all reality I will probably only have 2 framing guns running at the same time..However, I would like the compressor to be able to handle sequential sheathing nailing w/ 2 guns going at the same time.

How does that 2400 keep up with a framing nailer on rapid fire sheathing mode? Looks like the Mac5200 jumps up to about 6.5 cfm @ 90psi.
          Last edited by tucker; 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Tucker,
            I know its been stated before, but you might want to consider using multiple smaller compressors. For example, you might want to consider using a couple or three Mac700's. Each Framer could have his own. It will keep up with one gun. You have an advantage in that if ONE unit breaks down your whole crew isn't waiting for parts. The other guys can keep working. You could also consider "ganging" the compressors with a manifold for those limited times when the one Mac700 might not have enough air volume. Additionally, as you transition into the finish work you can have guys in separate rooms doing trim etc. without having hoses/cords running all over the place. The Mac700 is quiet too! YMMV....

Don
            I started out with nothing. I still have most of it left.

Comment

Originally posted by tucker View Post
              I would really like to get something like a wheelbarrow Jenny that throws out 8+ cfm, but I don't do enough framing to really rationalize the 1k plus $ 250 shipping.
              Around here, the 2-horse Emglo wheelbarrows are everywhere on craigslist for 200-300 in decent condition. I bought one, replaced the pressure switch and a few other parts, wired it for 240 and made a couple of adapters so we can plug it in at the dryer. It never runs out of air no matter what you are doing, roofing or nailing sheathing, etc. I have a MAC5200 and the wheelbarrow can run circles around it.
              Last edited by David Meiland; 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM.
              Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
              Website - Facebook

Comment

Might want to check out the Rol-Air brand of compressors. Here is an Amazon link for wheel barrow model, $788 w/ free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/Rol-Air-Compre...9424967&sr=8-7).

May want to check out some of their smaller stuff also. I kinda like the 2 or more smaller compressor idea, allows for having crews on different sites also.

Check craigslist for stuff. I just bought a dewalt/ emglo gas compressor for $250 in great shape, previous owner had just had it tuned up. There can be good deals on good stuff out there.

Comment

If I am going that route....might as well do this

http://www.amazon.com/ROLAIR-HP-8-4-...d_sim_sbs_hi_6

I have never used this brand. Is it a quality make?

Comment

The last outfit I worked for had a Senco 120v wheelbarrow. That thing sucked. We couldn't run it off our generators, rarely could we run it off a customers power - even then we had to plug it in at the panel or I'd have to hook up a temp receptacle just for the compressor. If you are doing a lot of remodeling work, this thing was not you want. We could run multiple framing nailers off of it, but I can do that with my 4 gallon twin stack too and that didn't trip breakers near as often.

I keep a Rigid gas wheelbarrow compressor in the truck at all times, and that is really only used for inflating trailer tires, blower nozzles, and sheeting, felt or housewrap fastening. I have not used my twin stack in 6 months or more. I use cordless Paslode guns from framing and trim anymore. If I'm doing a decent amount of framing then I just use the air framers off the gas compressor.

Chances are if you are running 2 or 3 framing guns with any regularity you will wear out an electric compressor anyway. Most of the framing crews around here (at least what is left of them) run gas compressors.
                    Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

Comment

another vote for 2 pancake compressors as the solution, unless you are doing mostly framing. The PCs with 150 psi tanks I've bought for $90.

Comment

I use the older version of this. http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55146-.../dp/B000HZJLV2

I've bet the hell out of it for at least 10 years and it just keeps on going.
                        -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Comment

Working...
                        X