Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Thawing frozen ground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thawing frozen ground

Could not quite figure out how to Google this one successfully.

Need a heating element to thaw a small diameter in frozen ground. One where I can drill out a 1" (or similar) diameter hole of the frozen ground, insert the heating element and thaw that small area of soil. I only need to thaw a few inches in diameter....

Any products - links?

THX
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Re: Thawing frozen ground

Dave, you'd be surprise how much is out there for this type of thing. Concrete and utility contractors have a need for this stuff.

www.thawground.com

Or just google search it there's a number of them.
    ~Kent~

Comment

put a halogen light under a 5 gallon pail for 2 days done
      if you do good good will do you in

Comment

Or some ice melt wire under some rigid or hay.

Comment

If you only have to thaw out a few inches in dia. why not just use a hammerdrill or a core drill & drill the hole.

Comment

Dave
            Does this have anything to do with the "permafrost" I hear about in your neck of the woods?

I agree, drill it out, maybe even drill it larger, then ...heck, I don't even know what you're doing with a 1" hole?????
            Take Care

Jim

Comment

There are lots of heaters and blankets designed to thaw ground but the old fashion way is to light a bed of coal and cover it with straw and let it smoulder for a few days. Charcoal under batt insulation would probably work as well.

The type of soil you are thawing and how wet it is has a large bearing on how much energy you have to put in to thaw it. If I remember correctly it takes anywhere from 900 BTU's to over 8000 BTU's to thaw a cubic foot of soil depending on the soil's composition. Free draining soils like gravels are easier to thaw than clays and silts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Brobeck View Post
                Dave, you'd be surprise how much is out there for this type of thing. Concrete and utility contractors have a need for this stuff.

www.thawground.com
                Kent - I am aware of all the blankets and methods of thawing larger areas of soil. They are a dime a dozen here.

What I am looking for is a quick heat method. Basically drilling a 1" or so hole down a foot or two - insert the heating element and then it thaws the area. This is for installing helical piers and we are needing to thaw just that small area.

I am aware of a local made oil filled rod option in CAN that is basically 3000W runs off 220 and can thaw an area of 8" in about 5 minutes. I'm looking for a fast method like this...

Just curious if there are any other options on the market. Think oil dipstick heating rod on steroids....

Originally posted by James Eggert View Post
                Dave
                Does this have anything to do with the "permafrost" I hear about in your neck of the woods?

I agree, drill it out, maybe even drill it larger, then ...heck, I don't even know what you're doing with a 1" hole?????
                I need to get 8" or more. The 1" hole is to just insert the heating rod... We have to go much further north to find any substantial perma frost and it is going quickly....
                “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”

Comment

Dave,

What are those rods the ground thawing companies use? I wonder if there's a smaller version of that you can use.
                  Michael

Comment

How about something really quick?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskan Son View Post
                      Dave,

What are those rods the ground thawing companies use? I wonder if there's a smaller version of that you can use.
                      Do tell????? I've only seen the blankets.

Comment

The guys who thaw drainage areas on the road system, and utility stuff have a box truck with hoses (or cords) and rods. Not sure how it works, just seen them do it.
                        Michael

Comment

That's right. In Homer the culverts have the rods in them and the trucks roll up and heat them and go on thier way.

Thanks for reminding me a about that. I'll chase that lead.

Comment

When you said culverts I put that into Google and found this - http://www.arcticblaster.com/index.html

That might work....

Comment

Any time buddy:)
                              Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X