Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NeatDesk

Default NeatDesk

Is anyone using NeatDesk for scanning? I done some research and it seems promising.

http://neat.com/

Default Re: NeatDesk

I'm considering it, I read some reviews that said the software was a little buggy, but Neat has been around a while so I would assume it has passed the test of time.

I have to add a scanner, I am thinking either this on or SnapScan by Fujitsi.

I too am interested in experiences. What model are you looking at?
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

I would be looking at NeatDesk. I want something that is fast and always sitting on my desk.

You can purchase it at Office Depot, they have them on display.

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

I believe Allan has been doing something like this for quite a while, and I'm starting to think I have to go this route too. Seems like part of the plan would be to stop vendors from sending paper in the first place, have them send PDF files.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by David Meiland View Post
    Seems like part of the plan would be to stop vendors from sending paper in the first place, have them send PDF files.
    And that is the real trick, some are set in their ways and are lost with out paper.
    David Tuttle

Just bought an Epson Workforce scanner, the Neatdesk model just seemed kind of cheap for the money.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

I've had their desktop scanner for a few years now, and it works great, I don't use their filing system, but pretty much anything important that comes across my desk gets scanned into my computer's filing system, which is way more organized and easier to use than my filing cabintets ever were.

The actual paper gets tossed in a file box, labeled with the year....not organized at all, but I know January's on the bottom! If I ever need the paper, it'll take some digging, but it won't be too bad. On the other hand, finding something in my computer files is a snap.

I suppose the next task would be to get into OCR and all of that, but, so long as I'm a one man show, that'd probably be overkill.

Mike
    Mike Patterson

Patterson Builders-Remodelers, LLC
    19112 Jericho Dr.
    Gaithersburg, MD 20879

www.pattersonbuilders-remodelers.com
    http://mdremodel.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/Patterson.Bu...Remodelers.LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Just bought an Epson Workforce scanner, the Neatdesk model just seemed kind of cheap for the money.
    How are you liking the Epson Ted? Does it come with its own software that you use to organize the scanned docs with?

I am looking at Scansnap vs Neatdesk and now the Epson. The Epson looks really fast.
    -Dan

I use adobe acrobat for all my scanning, is neatdesk better?
    Ray D

My .02
    There's really nothing special about their scanners - it's all about their software. "NeatWorks" is proprietary, but the last I knew it did actually did store stuff as .PDFs - or at least had the option to do that .

If you do try the software (which you can buy as a stand-alone to use with many other scanners... it's $80 to download) - I would most definitely be saving everything to .PDF regardless. The worst thing you can do is get all your documentation stuck in some proprietary format that might not be around in a few years. Unless you plan on keeping the paper kicking around - and doing that sort of defeats the purpose.

And FWIW - Fujitsu is making a very similar scanner - my guess is they're either OEMing them for NeatDesk or have simply copied the design. You can scan directly to either Evernote - or SharePoint.

JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Ted
    Don't quote me - but I think the SnapScan is the same thing as at least one of the 'Neat' models. Either actually the same thing (OEM for Neat) - or functionally the same.
    JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Does anyone know if the scanned documents (PDF) can be used as legal documents. IE: if you lose the original.

Rick:

Generally yes under the "Best Evidence Rule":
    The best evidence rule provides that, where a writing is offered in evidence, a copy or other secondary evidence of its content will not be received in place of the original document unless an adequate explanation is offered for the absence of the original. Evid. Code § 1500 et seq.; Fed. Rules Evid. 1002. In California, testimonial and other secondary evidence of the document's content is also generally forbidden. Evid. Code §§ 1500, 1508.

Accordingly, both California law and the federal rules allow the use of mechanically produced duplicates unless a party has raised a genuine question about the accuracy of the copy or can show that its use would be unfair. Evid. Code §§ 1500 et seq.; Fed. Rules Evid. 1003. However, there is always a danger of a party questioning a document, so it is important to remember that, unless you have a stipulation to the contrary, or your document fits one of the exceptions listed in the statute, you must be ready to produce originals of any documents involved in your case or to produce evidence of why you can't.¹

¹ http://library.findlaw.com/2001/Jan/1/241488.html
    When fascism comes to America it will not be in brown and black shirts, it will not be with jack-boots, it will be in Nike sneakers and Smiley shirts. Germany lost the Second World War, Fascism won it. George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Thanks Dick,

So I quess that means that a large Corp. MUST still keep a large warehouse full of the original paper documents?....seems like such a waste of resources.