Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: what to do about My vechicle

It's a Corporation (or whatever...) It's purpose is to make money. Today it has loyalty to a worker as long as that worker did something for it today, like it or not. Sometimes, if you are very lucky, the person you work for will provide some loyalty benefit to you based on your previous performance, but don't get confused, the corporation itself (the corporate entity) doesn't have any remembered loyalty to you.

If you want real loyalty, start your own company and work for yourself. You'll have the ultimate in company loyalty to you! ;-)
    HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
    Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
    General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

You are using your personal vehicle, your personal tools, and now they want to use you as an advertising tool.

It appears their only capital investment is a briefcase, a jacket and a smile.

They need you more than you need them. You ARE the business.

I would not think twice about claiming their customers as my own.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Let them letter it, put some gun racks in it and park it at the bar. That will fix the cheap bastards,

I'd never ask that of an employee. I'd buy another truck first.
    That was a true gem. I'm still chuckling.

Thanks!

Looks like Ted is the only one who is doing it correctly. By correctly I mean he does the mileage log, submits a monthly mileage total, gets reimbursed # miles x +/- .55 mile and the company takes a deduction, and Ted........doesn't get a W9 because it's not income or an allowance, it's a reimbursement under IRS guidelines and therefore is not taxable!

My gues is OP gets a W9 at the end of the year, which means he loses 25% right off the bat in taxes, so what does the employer actually offer....$300. So $300 divided by .55/mile covers about 545 miles in a month or approx 136 miles job to job. This is why you shouldn't get paid from the house because everyone is expected to drive to the job or first stop, then all additional mileage can be either reimbursed, or deducted.

I find it's easier to just keep a daily log, be as accurate as you can, don't sweat missing or adding a couple miles because it will balance out, and no tax ramifications.

In this case the allowance is being used as pressure to be a billboard, BUT the company is screwing the OP with the allowance already.

I would not allow the vinyls! Period. I would suggest you change to mileage reimbursement. You could then discuss how much they will give you as an allowance for being a billboard, but you will cross the line regarding your insurance because now you are using your truck for business, and not just to drive back and forth to work!

By the way, even mag signs will cause you grief if you are ever in an accident and the adjuster for your company is sharp, because with signage you crossed over to commercial use....even a sign Joe's Handyman Services creates the commercial aura which the insurance comapanies love to refuse to pay!
    Last edited by James Eggert; 01-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    Take Care

Jim

Unfortunately, you are in a tough position!
    The company owners are giving you an "allowance" of $400/month that they aren't required to provide and have told you it's a "use of personal vehicle" allowance. For you, this is TAXABLE income, although you can offset it by DEDUCTING your use of your personal vehicle for "company" business on your income taxes at the current IRS stipulated rate of 55.5 cents per mile, but you have to keep accurate records to prove this deduction if called upon during an audit.
    Now, it appears the owners want to expand the rationale behind the "allowance", that you thought was for "wear and tear" on your private vehicle used for company business, to include advertising the company information.
    I don't believe it is in your best interest to object for the reasons many have already mentioned, but, in order not to seem to be an ingrate or less than appreciative for the "allowance" you are already receiving, I would suggest you agree to the use of "magnetic" signage you could easily remove when not using the truck for company business.
    That scenario would allow you to say "YES" to their request in a way that would have the least negative impact on your relationship with the owner!

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by DAKurth1 View Post
    Unfortunately, you are in a tough position!
    The company owners are giving you an "allowance" of $400/month that they aren't required to provide and have told you it's a "use of personal vehicle" allowance. For you, this is TAXABLE income, although you can offset it by DEDUCTING your use of your personal vehicle for "company" business on your income taxes at the current IRS stipulated rate of 55.5 cents per mile, but you have to keep accurate records to prove this deduction if called upon during an audit.
    Now, it appears the owners want to expand the rationale behind the "allowance", that you thought was for "wear and tear" on your private vehicle used for company business, to include advertising the company information.
    I don't believe it is in your best interest to object for the reasons many have already mentioned, but, in order not to seem to be an ingrate or less than appreciative for the "allowance" you are already receiving, I would suggest you agree to the use of "magnetic" signage you could easily remove when not using the truck for company business.
    That scenario would allow you to say "YES" to their request in a way that would have the least negative impact on your relationship with the owner!

Good Luck
    Well put Mr. DAKurth1
    Michael

If you work in different cities, the sign may get the company into trouble if the company doesn't have a business license in every single city.

jmarcin,

What did you end up doing with signage and your truck? How did it work out?

Alright,

It took me more than a few years away from the business to gain perspective on issues like these. But not before I beat a whole bunch of trucks into the ground making money for other people.

Here's my two cents. "Entitled"? I think not!

Any good tradesman prides himself on having good tools and a truck to take them to work in. Many small contractors take advantage of that. I used to see want ads all the time "Must have tools and truck". In my youth I went on more than one interview where seeing my truck was a part of the interview.

What is the cost of a truck? Let's assume a new Ford/Chevy/Dodge 1/2 ton work truck. Shall we? So a purchase price of $23K. Using my banks rates and 10% down? That's $371 per month over 60 months. How about commercial insurance? I'm going to wing it and say $1200 per year or $100 per month. Now about gas and maint? well let's use 400 miles a week at $3.45 a gallon and 15 MPG? That's $92 per week or $360 per month and I think that's probably a low ball estimate. add in four oil changes a year and one set of tires plus lets say $500 for other misc expenses?

Bottom line is that the TRUE REAL DOLLAR cost of a company truck is about $1000 a month.

Set aside any tax advantage. Before you can write it off you have to earn it and pay the bills with it.

They are getting a good enough deal at $500 a month and It seems to me that they are pushing their luck.

Also, in some states once you put a name on it? It had better be registered commercial. Have you checked with your insurance company yet? If you are picking up 100 Pre-Cuts during the work day usinig your own truck? One slides out, goes thru the windshield of a car and cripples somebody? Is your policy going to pay? Is your employers policy going to pay? Or are both going to leave you hanging in the wind with a $1 mil judgement?

you have NOTHING to gain by allowing them to put THEIR business name on YOUR truck. you do have a lot to lose.

If you need the job I would approach the subject gently but I'd be up front. You bear the bulk burden of it's operating costs. It's in your name and on your insurance and it puts you to much at risk.

Then I'd start looking for a new job..........."Entitled?..............I'm not sure he/they would have finished the word "Entitled" when refering to MY truck before I relieved them of some front teeth.