Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Soldering Copper Pipes With Residual Water In Them...

I ran across a product that looks pretty handy if you ever have to solder a copper fitting on a pipe that you can't get the last bit of water out of. I.E. when you have to stuff a bit of bread in the pipe, solder it, and then flush out the bread?

Pasco Specialty makes a product called "Quick Sweat". It consists of a 24" seteel cable with an elastomeric plug on the end and a handle. The plug and cable are availablein 1/2 through 2" and will apparently go through a 90 elbow. Then you squeeze the handle to block of the remaining water in the pipe and solder away. Could be handy to have around.

Here is the link to their catalog:
    http://www.pascospecialty.com/catalo..._CATALOG_C.pdf
    There are some other interesting tools you might not know about too.
    HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
    Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
    General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Default Re: Soldering Copper Pipes With Residual Water In Them...

Bread has always been my stand by.
    Randy

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten

BeachBoy:

Bread, schmead. It works occasionally.

If you want to tie into existing lines without failure every single time, use these:

http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/

Kowboy
    "I want no heaven for which I must give my reason; no happiness in exchange for my liberty, and no immortality that demands the surrender of my individuality. Better rot in the windowless tomb, to which there is no door but the red mouth of the pallid worm, than wear the jeweled collar of a god."

Robert G. Ingersoll, "Individuality", 1873

Quote Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
    BeachBoy:

If you want to tie into existing lines without failure every single time, use these:

Kowboy
    I've had one fail, so I wouldn't say every single time, but I still don't hesitate to use them.
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Still haven't tried sharkbites, not even sure that they're legal here yet.

What's so great about them, compared to a traditional comp fitting?

Cool catalog, Beach - lots of interesting gadgets in there...
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    Still haven't tried sharkbites, not even sure that they're legal here yet.

What's so great about them, compared to a traditional comp fitting?

Cool catalog, Beach - lots of interesting gadgets in there...
    frenchie:

Unlike Tom, I've never experienced a sharkbite failure. Yes, they are more expensive than plain copper fittings only if your time isn't worth anything.

I installed two yesterday in my basement for my new shower. I cut out a 2" section, slid the sharkbite onto the long end and used the enclosed tool to release it and slide it over the other end. You can't do that with a compression fitting. After I test the lines, if there are any leaks all I have to do is go downstairs, unclip the sharkbite in two seconds and my lines will drain completely making any resolder easy and bread stuffing unnecessary.

I love these things but they aren't legal everywhere yet.

Kowboy

P.S.:

Check out the How They Work section on the previous link. These are the ones I installed: http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/fit...tees/slip-tees
    Last edited by Kowboy; 01-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    "I want no heaven for which I must give my reason; no happiness in exchange for my liberty, and no immortality that demands the surrender of my individuality. Better rot in the windowless tomb, to which there is no door but the red mouth of the pallid worm, than wear the jeweled collar of a god."

Robert G. Ingersoll, "Individuality", 1873

I suck out as much water as I can with the shop vac, then I blow into it with the vac. Then I quickly solder the joint before any remaining water returns. It has worked good for me as long as I have a shop vac handy. Shark Bites cannot be embedded or hidden in a wall.
    "I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also, that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    --Barry Goldwater AD 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Shark Bites cannot be embedded or hidden in a wall.
    Shark bite connectors are tested and approved for use in walls with out access panels and can be used underground. Of course, local regulations trump approvals; but they are approved for that use.

I love them for demo and temporary caps for pipes. They are too expensive to use for an entire house IMO; but work great as Kowboy notes.

http://www.sharkbite.com/usa/en/about-sharkbite
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

I agree with Dave, everyone should keep caps close by during demo. They have saved me lots of time and trouble a few times. They are costly, I think a tee is $8, but they definitely serve a purpose.

My plumber has only had 1 leak which he was not sure if it was fully seated when installed.

I love using them also but a few months ago I had put one on a pipe and for some reason or somehow I banged one of the brass collars with a wrench and the fitting popped apart. Due to being quick witted and my lightening speed I quickly jammed it back together before the owner , who was standing right beside me, noticed anything. He did later ask where the little bit of water come from.

roger

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

My plumber uses a Pro-Press tool for crimping copper fittings. Turn off water, cut pipe, crimp on a valve, close the valve, go from there with whatever material you choose.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by davenorthup View Post
    Shark bite connectors are tested and approved for use in walls with out access panels and can be used underground. Of course, local regulations trump approvals; but they are approved for that use.
    In one of the plumbing meetings I went to, for South Dakota, I thought I heard they weren't approved for concealed use. I'll call the inspector. Anyway, they have a useful purpose.
    "I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also, that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    --Barry Goldwater AD 1964

here's another cool tool.

http://www.brenelle.com/

Jet-sweat, Pro-Press, Freeze, Sharkbite in that order.