Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

best sawhorses ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best sawhorses ever

I might be exaggerating but they are really nice. They are lightweight, sturdy, can hold alot,I can put them as close together as I want and they knockdown to almost nothing. I might go ahead and make another pair, some that are simpler to make.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1027393...renovSawhorses

Re: best sawhorses ever

Those aren't saw horses, they're furniture. I would be afraid to put anything more than a quilt on them because they look so nice.;-)

Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Those are sweet! The wedged through tenons look great and should be super strong. Now I know what I'm going to build after I build my workbench.
      A person that works with his hands is a laborer.
      A person that works with his hands and his head is a tradesman.
      A person that works with his hands, his head, and his heart is a craftsman

Comment

Yeah, thanks Phil these ones were a little over the top, but I had no problem bringing them out to the job. They are super strong and I can always replace the top rails if need be. Like I said in another thread, I was looking for something to practice some hand work on. I will probably make another pair that is not knockdown but still has a replacable top rail. Domino them together and add some notches for the top rails you should be able to throw a pair together in a couple hours. They can also be made in knockdown form that is quicker and easier than the wedged through tenon way, maybe half lap and a screw or tenon and removable pin. That is the beauty of these they can be modified in so many ways.
        Last edited by coopercustom; 12-07-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah those are over the top for the job site. They look awsome though.....

Comment

You don't have to put quite the finish on them that those have. I know a bunch of timberframe guys who knock that sort out, several in the am, make them a variety of heights to allow working on different size timbers.

Made some a long time ago, keep thinking about making a pretty set.
            http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I made these for my shop from some leftover material. Not as uptown as the OP's but they are lightweight and don't take up much room like a regular carpenters' sawhorse.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lavrans View Post
                You don't have to put quite the finish on them that those have. I know a bunch of timberframe guys who knock that sort out, several in the am, make them a variety of heights to allow working on different size timbers.

Made some a long time ago, keep thinking about making a pretty set.
                I recently gave away 4 pairs of horses of the same design, they were sitting in my shed and not being used for a couple of years so I gave them to someone who could put them to use. I haven't got any pics, they were just something practical. The difference was that the legs on mine were made out of 2 pieces of aluminum tubing that nested inside each other and telescoped. I drilled 6 holes in each leg so they could be set up in 6 different heights. They were made in 3 pieces, 2 legs and a stretcher. The stretchers can be made any width you wanted, so one pair of legs could work with whatever stretcher you choose. It was a nice system, they were light, stored flat in the truck, you could pile all eight of them on a furniture dollie and move them on the job site.

I use 1.25" and 1.5" SQ. Tubing, hardwood stretchers and feet with BB ply gussets. I fasten the ply to the alum with tek screws.

For carpentry tasks such as sawing and assembly on the job site I still prefer the traditional carpenters sawhorses with legs pitched in 2 directions. They are a really stable work platform.

BTW Nice sawhorses Cooper, beautifully done.

Comment

Really nice sawhorses.

I've got some krenov style sawhorses (not knockdown) that I made last fall out of some extra bits of Ipe I had around. Mostly they stay around the house and get used as an extra table or counterspace, but sometimes they get dragged onto small jobs for cutting down a door or the like. Being Ipe, I can't really dent or scratch them no matter how I try (but I try not to cut through the top rails).

zak
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Zak S.; 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

That is a good lookin' set you got there Zak.

Comment

Good Golly! Y'all trim guys make some fancy shcmantzy sawhorses LOL!

They are beautifully crafted and I'm sure they serve you well.

Luckily, you aren't on my framing crew because you'd get a failing grade and I'd have to saw them in half and toss them into the scrap pile. (That's how I taught my protege's how to make decent sawhorses).

I don't know if those horses would take half a bunk of studs, like our rudimentary work stations did but of course, I know our needs are radically different. If I was trimming, I'd probably make a nice set too. In my youth, I kept a nice carpenters 20" high bench near me.

I do agree with Dave's "legs pitched in 2 directions" idea. Without it, I watched many a' rookies horses succumb to gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by jimAKAblue View Post

I do agree with Dave's "legs pitched in 2 directions" idea. Without it, I watched many a' rookies horses succumb to gravity.
                        Back when I did frame houses one of the first jobs a new hire would get was to build a set of sawhorses. You can tell a lot about a carpenter by the results. You can BS to get the job but the sawhorse tell the real story.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
                          Back when I did frame houses one of the first jobs a new hire would get was to build a set of sawhorses. You can tell a lot about a carpenter by the results. You can BS to get the job but the sawhorse tell the real story.
                          What was your horse ratios?
                          http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

5:17 or 17 degrees on the protractor both ways. I'll get a pic when I get back home

Comment

the op photos has tusk tenoned streachers, the version i use has s-h-i-t-a-g-e kama joints (beaked tenon with wedges)

these types of sawhorses are fully knockdown, tough as old boots, i use nothing else

i treat the headers as sacrificial, varnished forget it, here is a link to the version i use

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=c...FgyQ&hl=en&ei=
                              Last edited by Tom Bainbridge; 12-11-2011, 07:23 PM.
                              Limey Carpenter

Comment

Working...
                              X