Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

hammer drill won't hammer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammer drill won't hammer

Have a friend who has the Bosch Bulldog hammer drill. It no longer hammers for him. I am suspecting the switch since it seems to be a click into place switch and not an electric issue.It drills just fine but no hammer or chipping ability. Any idea if that is something a guy not used to fixing tools might be able to replace? Him not me. My vote was more of the drill is nearly 8 years old it might be time to get a new one and just keep this thing as a heavy duty drill.

Thoughts.....

Re: hammer drill won't hammer

If for some reason the bits do not seat completely, they will not hammer. The Bosch units we repaired for my fathers rental used a special grease in the hammer units. If the grease was low there would be no percussion. The piston acted on the grease which inturn acted on the anvil.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

I had my Bosch hammer do the same thing after a while. It's a bigger version than the Bulldog, but the repair was cheap and I was told it's really just a wear and tear item. It was a $600 tool, so putting $70 into it was a no brainer.

I don't remember the exact problem but I do remember it was commonplace.
      Your source for:
      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

I only used hammer drills for things like tapcon screws and such. Anything bigger reach for my SDS plus. IfI'm drilling rebar holes for tying a foundation I reach for the SDS Max. I have a Milwaukee hammerdrill that has been going strong for 12 years now.

Phil
        It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Phil,

The Bulldog is a SDS hammer drill/chipper. Inline configuration.

Tom
          http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Ahh! OK. I should have looked it up, sorry.;-)

Phil
            It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

I actually just had this happen with my Bosch 11247; there was a moment of concern as I pictured my morning's work not getting done (although the tool has given enough use I wasn't too bummed). No hammering in either hammer/drill mode or straight hammer mode. I blew out some crud in the collar and in the chuck, and greased it up good. It still took a few attempts at hammering with a regular chipping bit before it sprang back into action, but it's been fine since. I think it was crud in the chuck or collar.
              k
              “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

will be passing all the information along to the guy to try out. Will see if any of it works.

Comment

Working...
                X