Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

That guy that doesn't wear his tool belt...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That guy that doesn't wear his tool belt...

You know who I'm talking about?

The one that counts on you to wear yours, the one that apologizes all day long for borrowing your junk, the one that asks to borrow your hammer and when you look around you see his sitting under the ladder he's standing on.

I've got my own way of communicating the importance of tool belts to the guys that work for me and by now all of my guys that have been with me for any length of time know the speech word for word. I get tired of telling new guys to wear the dang tool belt, and trying to break through to guys that I've told multiple times.

I'm interested to hear you guys' favorite catch phrases and cordial smack down cliches to communicate in a moderately derogatory way, the importance of wearing a tool belt (even if it's a micro tool belt that just holds a tape, tri square, and pencil).
    It's mandatory, even when installing cabinets and intricate millwork.
    19.05%
    It depends on what you're working on.
    75.40%
    I'm somewhat indifferent, not crazy about it
    3.17%
    I returned it because it's a waste of money ;)
    2.38%
    I can't wear one because of physical reasons.
    0%

Re: That guy that doesn't wear his tool belt...

I'll go first... :) I personally believe that wearing a well stocked tool belt should be as natural to a real carpenter as knowing how to use a measuring tape. It's a basic!

I do realize there are people that like to do it differently. Some like the fanny pack look (I personally think this looks a little weird but I see the advantage, you just won't see me doing that...), some guys like the Bead Board Master prefer pimp daddy work pants (I just bought my own pair after Kreg's pushy sales job that he recorded on you tube), and some guys like the one sided micro tool belt that comes to a combined total weight of about 2.6 lbs. after it gets stocked up with all 4 items. I've even seen cool work aprons and push carts that I felt like replaced a tool belt.

Whatever one chooses to wear, it enables him to be more productive, tire less quickly, and not devastate the productivity of those around him...

Hopefully that fuels the flames of passion in the hearts of you trim carpenters that are opinionated enough to weigh in respectfully ;)

Comment

It depends on what I'm doing, it's got to make my life easier. If I'm doing concrete forming, framing or trimming I'll at least have my tool belt within reach. I'm sure not going to be bent over running base with a tool belt on though.

My bread and butter used to be ICI door and millwork.( I'm kinda put out to pasture these days) I need way more tools than I could carry in a tool belt so I have a tool cart that I use. 90% of the time I have the cart right next to me within reach. There are still some tasks that are faster and easier with a tool belt though. I couldn't swing doors without a tool belt but I take half the belt off, I have the nail pouch full of screws, a cordless drill in a holster and a flat bar and off I go. I can move way faster without a full belt on.

I use a pockety vest in the shop. I love it.
      Last edited by dave_k; 10-19-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I voted "its mandatory", but that's only because it was the closest answer. I was a framing sub for years, and it drove me absolutely bonkers when one of my guys would take off their bags. However, the more finish work I've done, the more I've run into times when the bags almost have to come off. There are tight situations where having bags on risks damaging flooring, the wall behind you, the glass beside you, etc. There's also times when its just more practical to not wear them (when all the work is in one small area for example). As a general contractor who is back and forth from the truck all the time, or running to the store all the time, or going to the bathroom all the time (from the heavy coffee consumption) its often more practical to leave them off. These situations only apply a small percentage of the time though.
        Michael

Comment

☑ If you wear one around my finished work your fired.

I had to add an option that was missed. Some much of my work is in a kitchen with finished product and they have no place there.
          there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
          yfc

Comment

I haven't made a post in a while, but htis one got to me.
            To the point, it is manditory. There is simply no other way to keep things right-at-hand and remain safe, than having a tool belt. As a GC that is always jumping between tasks, I have my usual tool belt, a finish bag full of task specific tools (and the same belt) and a specific electrical belt just for that work. Funny thing is the guys who don't wear a tool belt talk a lot of smack, but always ask me if they can borrow something.
            Get a good fitting belt and use the thing...and a pair of carharts for the tools you have to walk around with
            Rolf Selvig
            Selvig Development

Comment

Tool vest and carpenter pants. I find they work better for trim/finish work. If I had to do a large frame, I'd probably wear my set of Oxy bags again.

Tom
              http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Whatever works as long as you've got the tools you need at hand
                Rolf Selvig
                Selvig Development

Comment

Josh I know who that guy is..... He is my boss, gets out of truck 60% of the time with out a tape, and has to borrow one of the crews..... not doing any finishing right now(formwork) but when we do finishing boss doesn't like to see belts with metal hammer loops, so I carry a small tote around with me, haven't had a chance to build one like Gary's yet but soon, josh how are the pants Holden up??

Comment

Bjornklader and blaklader pants are perfect for what we do. No tool belts allowed around my work either! Those are for framers, I'm a finish carpenter Anyone with any experience should know why we don't wear them. I learned that on my first day working as a kid.
                    Jesse Wright
                    www.archmolding.net
                    www.jessewrightdesign.com
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Archit...27731683955342

Comment

What about the guys who never show up with a notebook.

"Gotta keep my brain sharp! I can remember it."
                      http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I also do a lot of trim work and kitchen installs, so I do not wear a tool pouch most of the time. I wear blaklader pants and can carry what I need in them and I bring in my veto bag so incase I need something else.

Dave
                        check out www.youtube.com/user/DaveReinholdTV for new tool demos added every week

Comment

Originally posted by archmolding View Post
                          Bjornklader and blaklader pants are perfect for what we do. No tool belts allowed around my work either! Those are for framers, I'm a finish carpenter Anyone with any experience should know why we don't wear them. I learned that on my first day working as a kid.
                          Some of the best finishing carpenter I know wear a tool belt with leather hammer holder or metal taped up. Up until about 20 years ago I used to see a lot of the old guys using those tie up at the back canvas aprons that the lumber yards used to give out for free with their hammer tucked into their belt. It comes down to experience and preference.

I also have Blaklader pants but I don't like the kangaroo variety. I usually just carry a tape, knife and phone in them. I've been charged $100 service charge too many time when screws or drill bits get sucked into the washing machine and clog the pump. Nothing more frustrating than knowing you put your keys in a pocket but having 20 pockets to look through before you find them. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Lavrans View Post
                            What about the guys who never show up with a notebook.

"Gotta keep my brain sharp! I can remember it."
                            I thought that's what scrap lumber was for? I've shown up at the lumber yard many times with a list written on a scrap.

Comment

You need to add a box for guys who wear bjorn or Blake lader pants. As I do
                              Kreg
                              www.builtinking.com
                              youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
                              if you do not have fun every day... why?
                              get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
                              remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Working...
                              X