Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Pella/Viking Rant

Fact: Pella bought Viking Windows so that they could compete in the low-end market

Fact: Pella's Thermastar line of windows, available at Lowes, use the same snap in vinyl glazing bead that viking windows from the late 1990s used.

Fact: Our fair city suffered a hail storm, where hundreds of viking windows from the late 90s got hammered, resulting in broken glazing bead.

Fact: I have a long list of customers waiting for me to show up at their house, glazing bead at the ready.

Fact so far: I am unable to purchase the glazing bead from Pella. They directed me to Lowes, which requires measurements of windows to purchase.

I am not going to these houses to measure, then order glazing bead. I should be able to order the glazing bead by the stick, in 6' or 10' lengths, like every other window company on the planet. The Lowes salesperson recommended that I simply order a bunch of glazing bead based on a 72" x 48" Slider, which I likely will end up doing, for lack of a better option.

But the fact remains, that these Viking windows are JUNK! same as their Thermastar counterparts, and Pella's service is useless!

GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUTT PELLA!

Default Re: Pella/Viking Rant

A carpenter told me this in a dream about a year ago:

Paloo came out with a low-end, I guess you'd call it a "builder-grade" window, back in the 90's I believe it was, and my opinion of their company did a complete 180.

I could look right into the 45 degree cladding miters on the sashes and see wood. And the windows had absolutely NO lines to them. Very bland-looking.

They came with these fold-out (as in- you fold them out) metal nailing fins that I actually liked, but way too many framers wouldn't fold them out far enough, and then the window didn't get set far enough into the opening, making them extra hard to case.

Peela seemed to me to be lowering their standards beyond what they were known for, and I haven't liked their products since.

And I don't care how inexpensive they are, imo they aren't worth it. They won't last if water can get to the wood, so why even buy a window that's going to self-destruct in a decade or so? (Or less?)

Then I woke up and found out a builder friend of mine had exactly the same dream. Go figure.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

I think Pella has been overrated since..forever.

The Architect series were nice except when installed in areas where it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R. View Post
    That made me laugh.

Never installed a Pella anything. I think I am glad for that... :)
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R. View Post
    Laughing here.
    No brains, no headaches

Jeff

Pella sucks. A piece of 6 mil poly stapled over a window opening would be better than any of their windows.
    Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

You would probably get better service with plastic too!
    Steve