Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crown molding interferes with opening the cabinet door

Let me ask this, are there any specialty cabinet hinges that when opened pull the cabinet door out and away from the crown molding and that allow the door to open fully without hitting the crown molding?

I'm looing for a solution to allow the crown to go all the way to the cabinet so that I don't stop it short 5" and do a return.

I can't lower the cabinets, or cut them down from the bottom.

Thanks,

Steve C.

Default Re: Crown molding interferes with opening the cabinet door

You asked this before, right? It's a laundry room that you want to put crown. Don't put crown in the laundry room, problem solved.

Last time I asked about a return with crown moldings. This time I asked about a specialty hinge for the cabinet door and whether one is made.

Is that the best you've got?..."Don't put crown in the laundry room, problem solved."

That doesn't satisfy the client's wishes. Just trying to make the job look as good and complete as possible.

How far from the ceiling is the top of the door? How low is the bottom of the crown from the ceiling?

Can you move the cabinet over and put a filler in?

The best solution may be NOT to install crown.

What kind of doors are they? Can you rebuild the doors to be x"s shorter? Then run the crown across the top of the cabinets.

Pictures?
    Brad

Picture and an explanation why not having crown won't work or all answers are the same you've heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post

That doesn't satisfy the client's wishes. Just trying to make the job look as good and complete as possible.
    What client? In the other thread you said it was your laundry room. Define 'as good and as complete'. Or is that a brand of crown mold?

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...43&postcount=1
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Overbuilders View Post
    What client? In the other thread you said it was your laundry room. Define 'as good and as complete'. Or is that a brand of crown mold?

LMAO, what a great name for a trim supplier... "client's wishes". You could never loose installing their product. Maybe that's why he tried that brand in this situation. Probably used Koetter everywhere else and realized it just wouldn't cut it in the laundry room.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
    Last time I asked about a return with crown moldings. This time I asked about a specialty hinge for the cabinet door and whether one is made.

Is that the best you've got?..."Don't put crown in the laundry room, problem solved."

Yep, that's the best you get on Sunday. I'm watching football, so you are lucky you got that bit of wisdom. You could have said thanks too.

What client?
    1XW, dip****.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Dan View Post

1XW, dip****.
    Oh, her. That's 1EW to you, and she's a vendor, dip****.

****Knowing what I know, she can't make very much money.

Came home a couple of weeks ago to find the 1EW packing. "I'm moving to Las Vegas where every time I spread my legs I make $300," she said. She turned around to see me packing, and when asked where I was going I replied, "I wanna see how you live on $600 a year."

Still a favorite.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Steve, here's the long and short of it. The problem your up against is actually all to common. Around these these parts we refer to it as bad design. The only real remedy is good design. That would involve eliminating the crown detail or order/making shorter cabinets. I'm guessing that's pretty obvious at this point(another benifit of bad design-that whole hindsight being 20/20 thing) This just leaves you with a variety halfa$$ solutions as follows

1. Remove the offending door. Open shelving is a real current look.
    2. A filler move that cabinet over and the problem solves itself.
    3. Reverse the swing of the door. Not sure if that would work. Next time you head down to the laundry room grab you camera phone and post a picture.
    4. Use a smaller crown of a cove molding
    5. Seriously consider skipping the crown
    6. Hinge the door off the bottom. Use 165 degree hinges and magnetic latches to make sure it stays closed.
    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
    yfc

His wife is the client. ;-)

Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Steve--

Sorry you are getting so much grief. Everybody is in a joking mood, I guess.
    There is a hinge that moves the door away frome the side of the opening as the door is opened. It's called a "reconteur" hinge. They are hard to find, expensive, and I've only seen them on thick--1 3/8 or more--doors. The ones I've installed only move the door an inch or so, so they may not even solve your problem.

Maybe a pivot hinge installed a couple inches in from the edge of the door? Would limit interior use of the cabinet though. Sliding doors? Wider stile on cab./narrower door? Smaller crown? No easy answer, I don't think. Good luck
    ---Jerry

Try to learn from other people's mistakes---you'll never have time to make them all yourself

Hi,
    I'm not sure I understand the problem completely without a photo. You say you need a hinge that when opened, it moves the door out from the crown molding. What I do not understand is when the door is closed, isn't it still in the line of the crown molding? From what I am imagining the top corner of the door will need to be cut off to get the door to close, if you find the hinge you are looking for. Like I said earlier a photo would help us all see the problem more clearly.

Steve

Oh, her. That's 1EW to you, and she's a vendor, dip****.

****Knowing what I know, she can't make very much money.

Came home a couple of weeks ago to find the 1EW packing. "I'm moving to Las Vegas where every time I spread my legs I make $300," she said. She turned around to see me packing, and when asked where I was going I replied, "I wanna see how you live on $600 a year."

Still a favorite.
    My wife had the same idea as your 1EW. So I told her to give it a go for 1 night before she packed her bags.
    She came home with $450.50. I asked her who gave her $.50?

She told me "All of them!"

Steve_C,
    This is probably the time situation best suited for the Milli Vanilli technique

You hire someone more qualified, and act like it was you.
    Steve