Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Dewalt 735 vs Makita 12" Planer

Just received an ad from Rockler. They have a Dewalt 735 for 649.99. Comes with free compact Dewalt router, free knives and table. I know someone that has both and prefers the Makita. Looking for other input. Thanks in advance for replies.

Default Re: Dewalt 735 vs Makita 12" Planer

The Makita is a better planner. The cut quality is comparable but the Makita is easier to work with. I have run many many miles of stock over mine in the last 12 years. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
    It does make me chuckle that Dewalt has "give" so many freebies to move their product. Ever wonder why that is?
    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
    yfc

I have had my DeWalt 735 for a few years now, and am very pleased with it. You can get it cheaper from Home Depot or Amazon, though. HD has it for $549 (without extension tables and blades), and Amazon has it for $569 WITH extension tables and extra blades. No tax and free shipping from Amazon. The blades suck, though. When you wear out the included blades, get a set from infinity cutting tools. They last much longer. You can pick those up at Amazon as well for about $80.

I borrowed a dw735 for a couple of days, and never could get used to having to turn it off every time I needed to change the cutting depth. Drove me nuts!

The Makita is a solid unit with some great features. It also seems to hold up well over extended ownership.

i have the makita . wish i had carbide blades . I recall a few years back i was reading up on that 735 dewalt ,mixed reviews . I would sujest you do a little research .like the wood web .
    Seems like the makita one gets great reviews . I haven't used another for years . Wish I could say great things about that dewalt ,it sounds like a good machine .I considered it at one point for my second one but i have two makitas instead .Easy to move ,I load in the truck and pack them about in the shop .

Wingnut,

I have yet to use a planer (including some very large industrial machines) that gives a better finish than my Makita with sharp blades. The rubber feed rollers are a great advantage, as you can take just a couple of thousandths off if you'd like, without the feed mechanism leaving dents in your work, like a segmented, metal roller does.

Mine has run thousands and thousands of feet...

- Kit

CPO Dewalt has a great deal going too

Quote Originally Posted by Lettusbee67 View Post
    I borrowed a dw735 for a couple of days, and never could get used to having to turn it off every time I needed to change the cutting depth. Drove me nuts!
    You don't have to turn it off to change the depth..
    Its a hard pill to swallow- Just when you think you are really good and set on YOUR ways. Someone comes along and blows your mind.

JH, on what basis do you make your statement? On the machine I used, it wouldn't allow the crank handle to turn with the switch in the on position. It was a simple mechanical lockout, and if I owned the machine, I would have disabled it.

I also have a DW734, which does allow the depth to be changed while it is running.

what about the 734 vs the makita ?