Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Increasing Ceiling Height on Existing Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Ceiling Height on Existing Home

I'm meeting with a prospective client tomorrow who wants to raise the ceiling height, currently 8', on a portion of a 1960s brick veneer bungalow with a walk-out basement. Most homes in this area are being razed to build 3,500-5,000+ sf newer homes, so he is not interested in spending a whole lot as he likely won't get it back in the future. (Like who is!)

Without seeing the home, my suggestions were to lower the basement floor by underpinning and coffer or cathederalize a ceiling or two in the upper level.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

(I did Google up this JLC article about increasing ceiling heights on a frame home. Great read. I wouldn't begin to tackle this myself. Nor would this fit his budget.)
    "The fatal flaw of all revolutionaries is that they know how to tear things down but don’t have a f**king clue about how to build anything." Jim Goad

Re: Increasing Ceiling Height on Existing Home

Wow thats some procedure. They dont want to spend alot and your thinking of this. You would need a sharp pencil. Although alot is saved there is certainly alot that isnt, mechanical, siding, ceilings. This is dangerous and tough option, why not catherdral ceilings with a structural wall or ridge?
    Tom

Comment

I was just reading that JLC piece! But I think I'll print it up in case my prospect thinks I'm overstating the difficulties and cost.
      "The fatal flaw of all revolutionaries is that they know how to tear things down but don’t have a f**king clue about how to build anything." Jim Goad

Comment

Originally posted by worthy View Post
        But I think I'll print it up in case my prospect thinks I'm overstating the difficulties and cost.
        If he does, tell him to walk around barefoot, that will be around an inch he can get for free.
        When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

LOL Very helpful!

Comment

This guy will probably run screaming when he gets a price. You're talking a major operation here; I agree with Ted, walk around barefoot :)

Comment

I agree with the humorous take on this.

Look, what you described here is a delusional tire kicker. He wants to raise the ceiling (why?) on a house that 1. he doesn't want to spend money on and 2 isn't worth spending money on. Unless he happens to be 7'4" tall, and even then..

My suggestion is that you bill for every minute you waste on this "project".

Comment

ouch some of this hurts. Great time to sell him a new build in a less pricy area - sell this to the $$$ buyers.
                But first run- does not want to spend on a spendy renovation.

Comment

Originally posted by worthy View Post
                  ...so he is not interested in spending a whole lot as he likely won't get it back in the future.
                  See, this is the wrong attitude to have. Explain to him his house is not an investment. You don't design with ROI in mind; You design with how much are you going to enjoy your home once the renovations are completed. If you have good taste, you'll raise the value of the house. Enough to cover the costs? Who cares!

Tom
                  1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
                  2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
                  3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
                  4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Why not just put tray ceilings in it? Of course if you've got trusses that can be a problem.
                    "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

When he heard the "ballpark" for essentially demolishing, underpinning and rebuilding a finished basement with 8'6" height (except for returns) and wiping out and rebuilding all the first floor, he balked.

He did make a very reasonable offer on a lot last year--and has a strong covenant, according to the mortgage manager who referred me--so I persist.

Comment

Working...
                      X