Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Apartment building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment building

A couple of questions I hope someone can answer for me.

I will be doing a renovation on a 1920 four story building in NYC.
    The building has been renovated many times over the years. The latest in the late 1980's
    Each floor is a separate apartment and the common hallway will not be touched.
    The two top floor are rented and will not be touched.
    The two bottom floors are vacant and will be lived in by two of the new owners.

The owners will be doing any demolition work, but I will be the contractor of record and the one obtaining the building permits.

I am a Certified Renovator but am not seeing how the RRP rule affects this job.
    I have informed the new owners of the RRP rule and given them the Renovate Right book.
    They are aware of the rule but feel it does not apply as they are the owners and doing the demolition and the work area is isolated from any other part of the building. The two apartments will be totally cleaned with a HEPA vac and washed to pick up and remove any potential lead dust.

When they bought the building they signed a form stating the seller did not know if there was any lead paint present.

Can anyone (Dean?) tell me my responsibility in this situation?

Thanks
    Bill T

Re: Apartment building

The answer would be this. If you lived in one of these apts. and wanted to make some quick cash, might you get a lead test and a slimey lawyer and sue? Who would you sue? A. The owners B. You C. Both I know a guy who got 250,000.00 20 years ago because his landlord didn't give a disclosure form with the lease. His kids tested positive for lead The money was placed in a trust for his kids education. If you're looking for a bullet proof form, consult a really good lawyer and have those landlords involved in signing away their responsibilities. The EPA could be the least of your worries with this.
    Has this work area been tested?

Comment

This would be considered a multi-family residence. If you personally do not disturb a painted or stained surface, you would be in the clear as far as the EPA. They on the other need to understand that they probably will need to be Lead Safe Certified Firm and only hire a lead safe certified firm.
      Dean

Comment

Dean
        Can you point me in the right direction to find the rules for multi- family.
        I know I read about it when I took the course but can't seem to find the information now.
        Thanks
        Bill T

Comment

The only difference between single family and multi-family are the Renovate Right distributions. Just make it simple on yourself and give all 4 households a copy (and get a signed receipt).

Of course, you only have to do the Renovate Right, if you are disturbing paint. It doesn't sound like you will be disturbing. It sounds like the owners are the ones who will be disturbing.
          Dean

Comment

But is this not similar to the case in Maine where the "owner" and his relative were doing work and someone put it on You Tube? The fines are now over $130 as I recall
            Multifamily is a whole new ball of wax to deal with

Comment

Working...
            X