Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Carpenter's Tool Trailer: Organization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpenter's Tool Trailer: Organization

The transport for the Ultimate Work Bench and Miter Stand. This is a video tour, of how I transport "My Ultimate Wood Shop" from job to job. My goal is to inspire creative solutions for a carpenter's day to day life. If we can make the tools fade into the fabric of the workday instead of being the focus, then we can be inspired and enjoy the process.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT5fE6HEMWs

Do what you love!
    Ron Paulk
    www.paulkhomes.com

Re: Carpenter's Tool Trailer: Organization

Originally posted by crpaulk View Post
    If we can make the tools fade into the fabric of the workday instead of being the focus, then we can be inspired and enjoy the process.
    Do what you love!
    Ron Paulk
    www.paulkhomes.com
    I like the way you said that... I'm guessing that your scripting your Video's? They are enjoyable to watch and are very good.

Oh yea, thanks for posting your trailer too.
    David Tuttle

Comment

seems well thought out and what I like is how you personalized it for what you are doing. That is one of the issues I have with most of the metal shelving units that I have worked with. Some things just don't fit right. My other complaint is the boxes that the tools come in. Some of the nail gun cases are huge other so tight you can get nothing else in there and no two are the same size even though the gun is almost the same size. Makes it hard to figure out where to put that new tool you got.

I did wonder if the tools on the top shelf, the table saw, the planer, etc stay there as you drive around town. Looks like they would have a good chance of falling off there. I did not see a way to keep them on the shelf or did I miss something.

Comment

We are in the process of redoing our shop and van. There is a wealth of great ideas in the video.
        Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Comment

Ron great set up!! Thanks very much!!

I really like the wall for all misc stuff. And yep you can store more without systainers and tool boxes Great job
          Kreg
          www.builtinking.com
          youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
          if you do not have fun every day... why?
          get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
          remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

I like the design and may build one on a smaller scale for myself in the future.

I agree with everyone about the tool cases. however, i must say i do like having kits for most jobs so that i can just grab a kit(systainer/milk crate/whatever) and walk into a job. so i will not go as far to remove everything from cases/boxes.

the first build out of my van i did just that had no cases everything on shelves and i wasted a lot of time running back and forth - b/c you inevitably forget something. now most things are in kit form and its much easier.
            -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

HI
              Great trailer. I now want to totally refurb the one I have.
              Do you have any issues with tools moving around or are there stops on the fronts of the shelves? The mitre saw, table saw, etc up on top or do you use another method to lock them in place?
              On the cubbies that had vertical dividers, did you just route groves in the wood and then make the front lips removable so you can reposition the dividers?
              Overall excellent use of the space
              Thanks for sharing
              Rich

Comment

Ron,
                You need to rename this thread "the ultimate tool trailer"

That setup is the balls! (translation for all you non Newengland types- that's a good thing)

The best trailer setup I've seen.

Thanks for the tour

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
                  seems well thought out and what I like is how you personalized it for what you are doing. That is one of the issues I have with most of the metal shelving units that I have worked with. Some things just don't fit right. My other complaint is the boxes that the tools come in. Some of the nail gun cases are huge other so tight you can get nothing else in there and no two are the same size even though the gun is almost the same size. Makes it hard to figure out where to put that new tool you got.

I did wonder if the tools on the top shelf, the table saw, the planer, etc stay there as you drive around town. Looks like they would have a good chance of falling off there. I did not see a way to keep them on the shelf or did I miss something.
                  Bob,
                  There is a lip on the front edge of all shelves that keeps tools in place and the drawers are locked for transport. No tools have fallen yet: I have been hauling tools in this way or close to it for two decades, so I am pretty confident.

Ron
                  www.paulkhomes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob scott View Post
                    Ron,
                    You need to rename this thread "the ultimate tool trailer"

That setup is the balls! (translation for all you non Newengland types- that's a good thing)

The best trailer setup I've seen.

Thanks for the tour

Bob
                    A good idea! Keep the theme.

Ron
                    www.paulkhomes.com

Comment

Ron. Check your message box.

roger

Comment

Originally posted by S. Donato View Post
                        I like the design and may build one on a smaller scale for myself in the future.

I agree with everyone about the tool cases. however, i must say i do like having kits for most jobs so that i can just grab a kit(systainer/milk crate/whatever) and walk into a job. so i will not go as far to remove everything from cases/boxes.

the first build out of my van i did just that had no cases everything on shelves and i wasted a lot of time running back and forth - b/c you inevitably forget something. now most things are in kit form and its much easier.
                        Sal,
                        Most of the contractors around here use individual cases as you do. My system works well for me as I treat my trailer as one big systainer:) Also, my systainers sell on CL in a matter of hours.

Variety is the spice of life.

Ron Paulk
                        www.paulkhomes.com

Comment

Originally posted by clydewater View Post
                          HI
                          Great trailer. I now want to totally refurb the one I have.
                          Do you have any issues with tools moving around or are there stops on the fronts of the shelves? The mitre saw, table saw, etc up on top or do you use another method to lock them in place?
                          On the cubbies that had vertical dividers, did you just route groves in the wood and then make the front lips removable so you can reposition the dividers?
                          Overall excellent use of the space
                          Thanks for sharing
                          Rich
                          Rich.

I have a 3/4"x1" strip that is held in place by short screws. It keeps the tools in and when I make adjustments to the dividers, it is a simple matter of removing the strip and adding, removing or relocation the dividers which are 1/4" satin ply.

Ron Paulk
                          www.paulkhomes.com

Comment

Very nice arrangement, Ron. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I'm curious what the GVW of the trailer is when it's all loaded. I know that we used to have a 1/2 ton pickup that we pulled our trailers with & it was both very hard on the truck & borderline hairy if there was a decent load in the trailer. I would really encourage anyone pulling a sizable trailer to have at least a 3/4 ton truck that's properly equipped to handle the weight.
                            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gburnet View Post
                              Very nice arrangement, Ron. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I'm curious what the GVW of the trailer is when it's all loaded. I know that we used to have a 1/2 ton pickup that we pulled our trailers with & it was both very hard on the truck & borderline hairy if there was a decent load in the trailer. I would really encourage anyone pulling a sizable trailer to have at least a 3/4 ton truck that's properly equipped to handle the weight.
                              Greg,
                              I am not sure of the weight, but my truck is 18 years old and not nearly as powerful and heavy duty as the newer ones. My trailer has brakes and the truck has a brake controller which works well for bringing it to safe stops and negotiating the very steep tight gravel driveways I find myself on all too often. I do live atop a very long steep hill which does challenge my 1993 engine, but it gets me home every time.

Ron Paulk
                              www.paulkhomes.com

Comment

Working...
                              X