Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Teabaggers going after Green Tyranny

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrans View Post
    Yep- and we all know all those illegals have so much expendable income...
    They tend to live inland where rents are inexpensive, multiple people in a house to reduce the cost per person.

They make construction level wage, typically $25/hr once they are well skilled.

They work hard, long hours, and work weekends.

They are smart enough to bring their own food to the job site and cook (a small feast) on a portable hot plate taking 30 min for lunch, while the rest of us head off to a restaurant and spend an hour or so for lunch.

They drive inexpensive vehicles that they and their friends maintain themselves because when they (eventually) get stopped, the vehicle will be confiscated because they don't have a license and they'll have to find another vehicle.

So if they have good skills they can end up with upwards of $100k of income, minimal expenses, and no taxes.

So much for no expendable income....
    HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
    Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
    General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Not only does the above post not mirror reality - it lacks basic math comprehension...

A 100K @ $25 per hour???? I should have you do my books...

Greg have you ever spent any real time with a migrant worker? Have you ever learned what they are about and how their day to day life works? Maybe you should before you repeat laughable FOX News type images of illegal immigrants.

BTW if you work 40 HRS @ $25 for a year you get $52K...

I love how a thread can start off with bad information, then we watch it get even less grounded in facts and finally it gets into people's irrational fears and positions that are grounded in myth.

The population in CA is still growing.
    The reason for this population growth is not from illegal immigrants from other countries.
    The economy in CA is rebounding just like the economies of most states....

Go figure.
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Quote Originally Posted by davenorthup View Post
    BTW if you work 40 HRS @ $25 for a year you get $52K...
    Most of the guys like this that I've known don't limit themselves to 40 hours per week. Holding two or more jobs is commonplace. You've got to admire that kind of work ethic.
    Joe Adams
    Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Most of the guys like this that I've known don't limit themselves to 40 hours per week. Holding two or more jobs is commonplace. You've got to admire that kind of work ethic.
    The guy I hired as a concrete subcontractor came to me and asked about Mills college, I told him it was a fine girls college, and asked why he asked, he told me that he came to his country illegally 30 years ago, became a citizen and his daughter had applied to Stanford, Mills, and Brown, so far she had been accepted at Brown and Mills with a $16,000 scholarship, but Stanford was her dream and she was still waiting to hear from them. I said: "Wow, she must be really smart, how did she know to apply to only elite private schools?" He said that their "priest told her that a state college degree was worthless today." So I guess churches do do some good, because of the severe drop in intelligence in this country I now think we ought to put intelligence testing centers at the border and let anyone in with an IQ of over 140, even give IQs of over 150 something like $100,000 grants to come in. We do have an EB-5 program to allow wealthy people in, why not intelligent people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra Costa Times
    Even as China emerges as a super power, many of those who have benefited most from the country's economic rise are heading for the exits. And many are relocating to the Bay Area, whose large Asian population, good schools and comfortable lifestyle are powerful draws for Chinese multimillionaires concerned about the future of their homeland and seeking the own American dream.

"The rich people are trying to get green cards," said Ta-lin Hsu, founder and chairman of Palo Alto-based venture capital firm H&Q Asia Pacific, who spends a lot of time in Asia. He is frequently asked by business associates about how to immigrate to the United States.

"The main reason is, they still worry about the future stability of China," Hsu said. "The U.S. is a democracy, there is freedom and it's a safer place."

The exit door for many of these wealthy Chinese is opened by the fast-track visas America offers for well-heeled immigrants. Known as the EB-5, the visa requires applicants to invest $500,000 in projects in economically struggling regions or $1 million in a commercial venture in other locations. The investments must create or preserve 10 jobs for two years. If successful, the applicants and their families -- spouses and children younger than 21 -- are awarded permanent residency.¹

¹ http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_2...costatimes.com
    “‎A general State education is a mere contrivance for moulding people to be exactly like one another; and as the mould in which it casts them is that which pleases the dominant power in the government, whether this be a monarch, an aristocracy, or a majority of the existing generation; in proportion as it is efficient and successful, it establishes a despotism over the mind, leading by a natural tendency to one over the body.” ― John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    Right - most people in desperate situations rarely work under 60 hours a week if they can find steady work. My other point is that anyone would be hard pressed to find us an undocumented worker making $25 an hour for 78 hours a week to clear that 100K. It just is not happening at all...

These boards are often littered with complaints that they are being undercut in price by illegals and now the claim is that they are making 100K a year?

Cannot have it both ways. I find the premise nonsensical.
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Right - most people in desperate situations rarely work under 60 hours a week if they can find steady work.
    Says who? Looks like bad information less grounded in fact finally getting into irrational fears and positions grounded in myth.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Cannot have it both ways. I find the premise nonsensical.
    Sure you can. I came across a number of cash workers, citizens and not, getting billed out at over $25 hr.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Greg have you ever spent any real time with a migrant worker?
    Q: Is your migrant worker an illegal alien?

A: I've got 12 of them cleaning up dog poop as we speak but I'm not gonna pay 'em because that would be illegal and they're doing a sh!tty job.
    Richie Poor

Yeah- most of the guys earning $25/hr in construction aren't illegal.

Immigrant, sure, but not very often illegal.
    And the illegal ones still aren't buying buildings on Nob Hill.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Yeah- most of the guys earning $25/hr in construction aren't illegal.

Immigrant, sure, but not very often illegal.
    And you know this for certain how?
    Last edited by Overbuilders; 04-08-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Corrected bad iPad generated Spanglish.
    Richie Poor

Quote Originally Posted by Overbuilders View Post
    And you know for certain this how?
    Actual years in the industry, plus friends working with "migrant worker" rights, plus any and all financial data I have ever seen relating to the construction industry.

Perhaps, since you & BB think that are making $25/he, which is more than the average for legal workers even in SF, you can show some data to back up your assertions.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Actual years in the industry, plus friends working with "migrant worker" rights, plus any and all financial data I have ever seen relating to the construction industry.

Perhaps, since you & BB think that are making $25/he, which is more than the average for legal workers even in SF, you can show some data to back up your assertions.
    Actual years in the industry? Friends working to cook stats concerning illegal alien rights? Any and all data? What a joke.

Perhaps you and Obama can come up with something more idiotic to register democratic voters and back up your assertions.
    Richie Poor

Quote Originally Posted by Overbuilders View Post
    Actual years in the industry? Friends working to cook stats concerning illegal alien rights? Any and all data? What a joke.

Perhaps you and Obama can come up with something more idiotic to register democratic voters and back up your assertions.
    See- there you go with lies and assumptions. Actually- they help with dealing with legal mostly- issue of slavery, people who hire them to do work and then, rather than paying, bring immigration so the work becomes free, medical care after being injured on the job- yeah, they will keep you alive at the ER, but everything after that costs money and isn't supplied.

I like the attack though- shows you have no justification at all for your prejudice.

See- there you go with lies and assumptions. Actually- they help with dealing with legal mostly- issue of slavery, people who hire them to do work and then, rather than paying, bring immigration so the work becomes free, medical care after being injured on the job- yeah, they will keep you alive at the ER, but everything after that costs money and isn't supplied.

I like the attack though- shows you have no justification at all for your prejudice.
    Paint a partial picture and assumptions happen. Lies? Hardly. As if any of the victims are legal. If they were legal the ICE threat would be irrelevant.

No attack and no prejudice involved. It's a tired tactic, Lavrans. Give it a rest. Illegal is illegal whether you like it or not. And Parkwest is correct - you get a major pass from administrators concerning personal attacks.
    Richie Poor

Um- its still wrong to enslave anyone. Having people do work and not paying them is wrong regardless of their legal status.

As for attacks- I think you guys are so wrapped up in your ideology that you can't recognize when you are attacking and insulting people. You are the one that inferred that the people I know are liars- then you tried to paint me as part of your mythical "Obama" politics. I just aske for proof of the assertion about these illegal aliens rolling in dough.

You haven't made any case to show how common it is for those illegal aliens- who, it is inferred, are making over $100K/year and pricing citizens out of California with their superior buying power.