Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Adhesive for bonding bottom plate to concrete floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive for bonding bottom plate to concrete floor

We have a job which prohibits mechanical fasteners for holding the treated bottom plate of our interior walls to the concrete floor, because of the radiant tubing embedded in it. I'm wondering what would be a suitable adhesive for this situation?

Thanks
    Nick C

Re: Adhesive for bonding bottom plate to concrete floor

The 'job' prohibits it or the lack of knowledge of where the tubing is does? W/o more details on what the structure is I'd suggest dropping some coin on some service to locate or an IR thermometer [for example; http://www.thehumansolution.com/4254...FQEHbAodsFopoA ] and do what's needed. New toys are fun too, possibly even when rented.
    Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

If the standard industry construction procedure is prohibited, shouldn't the specs tell you what to do as the alternative?

Comment

How many walls, how many doors? Doors being the problem, really. And then, is it really concrete or is it gypcrete?

You'll find any number of caulkable adhesives. Most of the Construction Adhesives will adhere to concrete.
        http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Even when I knew the Pex tubes were in the middle of a six-inch basement pour, I restricted the baseplate nailing to 1/2" depth, which worked perfectly well in a home basement.

Where the depth is unknown, I wouldn't drive blind.
          Last edited by worthy; 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM.
          "The fatal flaw of all revolutionaries is that they know how to tear things down but don’t have a f**king clue about how to build anything." Jim Goad

Comment

Thanks for the replies
            No specs, just a residential addition which has been upgraded to Hambro suspended concrete slab; 4" thick, 3500 psi mix. Prior to placement I photographed each run and am confident of where the tubing is, and would not hesitate to use thermal imaging or some other high tech location technique if we need to. I'm researching adhesives as a viable alternative to tapcons or shot. We have about 160 lineal feet of wall, and 8 doorways

Comment

My worry would not be uplift, but lateral movement. If the adhesive fails there will be nothing keeping the bottom plates from kicking to the side. If you have everything mapped out and photographed then just act as normal and apply construction adhesive then shoot remingtons. If the slab is still fresh, the powder shots should penetrate well.
              Your OP sounded as if you just came onto the job and the layout was a mystery.

Phil
              It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

I doubt the adhesives will fail any time soon... and would fail at about the same rate as nails shot in 1/2". I've used quite a bit of Liquid Nails, and had to take apart some other walls with the bottom plate glued to the floor. 5-6 years after the fact it was still a case of breaking the plate apart. The glue was stronger than the wood still. But- I've also wound up having to do concrete repairs because it was stronger than the concrete, too. Just sayin'.
                http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I'd rather have mechanical fasteners, even if it's just a partition wall.

You can run a masonry blade 1/4" or so down the center of the plate and run your adhesive over that. This will provide a "key way" to lock in the plate from any movement.

Comment

Someone once posted a low-tech way of locating the tubing. Turn on the heat an mop water over the whole concrete floor. The squiggly areas that dry first are the tube locations. Lay out plates and pin locations while the evidence is plainly visible.

Comment

Originally posted by NW Architect View Post
                      Someone once posted a low-tech way of locating the tubing. Turn on the heat an mop water over the whole concrete floor. The squiggly areas that dry first are the tube locations. Lay out plates and pin locations while the evidence is plainly visible.
                      That's a great trick!
                      Portland Renovations, Inc.
                      www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

Wow- I've got to try that just to see if it works!

Comment

I would be surprised if it did - concrete distributes heat pretty quickly. But there must be someone with an IR camera you can borrow - places are even renting them now.

We've also had good luck w/ construction adhesives and concrete.

Comment

That's a great trick but not nearly as much fun as an IR camera!
                            Doug

Favorite tool this week: Makita double-battery "worm drive" framing saw
                            http://www.jlconline.com/author/doug-horgan

www.bowa.com

Comment

I was hesitant to shoot nails into the floor even thought I had pictures and a layout of where the PEX was. I used liqiud nails on my floor ten years ago and nothing has moved. Hopefully your basement is as dry as mine that will help everything stay bonded. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X