Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Default Re: Fastcap Saw Stand

Actually, although I earlier threw a hissy fit, rivalling that of a spoiled six year old, I found little wrong with the old setup.

It did have a fairly large footprint, due to the actual stand upon which the saw set ... it was similar to those 1950 style tv trays..

And, the wing third hands, although workable and a decent concept ... were pretty good.

It did take a touch of time to setup. Moreover, having to drilll the say to set the polycarbonate attachments on wasn't the nicest thing ...

Overall, the stand worked up to my expectations.

It's just that the new setup is so cool. The actual base is similar to the generic miter stand, which makes for an incredibly easy setup.

Actually, I ordered a new one, keeping the old one as well ... as opposed to making the upgrade switch.

Some of my guys chuckle when they see me set up my old one. However, some of them crowd me to use it ... even though it is setup with the teenage mutant ninja turtle Hitachi 12 slider.

I'll use this one for my Bosch, let my lead guy take the old one (he's one of the few that didn't laugh at it and thought that it was a decent concept.

So, to make a SHORT story long ...

Nothing was really wrong with the old conceptual desigin and its practical application.

It simply appears that the new one is a major change in design, which I think looks "really neato man".

Lanya,
    You can upgrade your older Best Fence system for $199 from Fastcap.
    Or you can buy the new miter saw stand from Amazon for $89 and free shipping, it's made by Denali, the same stand Fastcap uses for their Version2 system.
    Then order from Fastcap the micro adjustable supports for the wing extensions and you are done.
    You need only 2 micro adjustable supports, not four, because you already have the third hand supports that came with the older system. You don't really need to use the pull out extensions, I think the third hand supports are much stronger.
    http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Miter-S...4247995&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Al (Ca.); 04-12-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastCap LLC View Post
    If you'd like to see all the features of the new Best Fence V2 System you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ByjyZ88XguA

Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul,
    Looks nice.
    Good job. I will get one for something else.
    I like it.

ycf dino
    eurekazone

Quote Originally Posted by Al (Ca.) View Post
    I saw the price somewhere, $799 for the pro version.
    That really the price? I choke at the thought of the $200 versions at the big box stores. Makes me want to use my sawhorses and aluminum walk board all the more.

Quote Originally Posted by Al (Ca.) View Post
    Lanya,
    You can upgrade your older Best Fence system for $199 from Fastcap.
    Or you can buy the new miter saw stand from Amazon for $89 and free shipping, it's made by Denali, the same stand Fastcap uses for their Version2 system.
    Then order from Fastcap the micro adjustable supports for the wing extensions and you are done.
    You need only 2 micro adjustable supports, not four, because you already have the third hand supports that came with the older system. You don't really need to use the pull out extensions, I think the third hand supports are much stronger.
    http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Miter-S...4247995&sr=8-1
    Hi, Al.

Thanks for the information. However, I was aware of the upgrade, but I have a use for both the old one and the new one when the new one arrives.

Actually, I have a Denali stand. It seems to be slightly different than what Fastcap uses. However, I could be mistaken.

I picked up the Denali to use on a 10" Horror Fright slider.

Made a wager (after a few too many beers) that it didn't matter what tools one has, it's how that indiidual uses them.

At that time, one of my finish guys had a Festfool Kopech. Wager was that I could run cornice with an 89 dollar saw and 80 dollar stand (they were selling the Denali for 80 dollah, ho hollah) and I had a Sunday paper coupon for the Horror Fright.

I was surprised by both.

Young punks and their 1300 dollar saws .... it was difficult for him to see that 80 bucks could produce the same quality as his 1300 dollar Kraut saw.

Although, I did cheat. He had no keys to the jobsite. I did. I could sneak in and work a few extra hours for "make-up".

In any event, that'll teach me drink with the younguns, 'specially those that I pay.

Live and lean.

Again, many thanks for the heads up on the upgrade and Denali stand information.

Lanya,
    The extension arms of the Denali stand sold at Amazon are different than the ones from Fastcap, the rest of the features are identical.
    My idea was not to use the extension arms to support your extension wings, use instead the third hand supports you already have.
    If you already have a Denali stand order from Fastcap 2 micro adjustment supports for your extension wings and you will have two Best Fence Version2 systems.
    I think that each of the supports cost $50. With $100 you can upgrade your current Best Fence system.

Thank you, Al.

Thank you VERY MUCH!

I would never have considered that.

I visited the Fastcap website earlier today and noticed that the release of the new Best Fence system has been postponed by one month.
    It will be available by late May instead of late April.

Just wanted to give an update.

I spoke with a few of the people from fastcap today, they had a few questions on how I wanted my stand to be set up and let me know that they appreciated my patience. It is going to be shipped tomorrow. I ordered mine awhile ago and it was not availible, their website said that it was. They have gone above and beyond to make it right, honored a labeled price that was an older prototype of the v2 among other things. As far as a company they are a class act and will definitely have my buisness. I will let you know how the stand performs once I have it in hand and in use.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lanya LaPunta View Post

I picked up the Denali to use on a 10" Horror Fright slider.

Made a wager (after a few too many beers) that it didn't matter what tools one has, it's how that indiidual uses them.

Hey Lanya, would that be Harbor Freight(also known as china buffet junk outlet)?? :D~ funny man

I agree with you on the carpenter is more important than the saw. Forget about the Kapex and buy the 7 1/2'" Makita slider. 28 pounds and dead nuts.
    ~Kent~

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Brobeck View Post
    Hey Lanya, would that be Harbor Freight(also known as china buffet junk outlet)?? :D~ funny man

I agree with you on the carpenter is more important than the saw. Forget about the Kapex and buy the 7 1/2'" Makita slider. 28 pounds and dead nuts.
    Hi, Kent.

Yes, Horror Freight, Harbor Fright, Horror Fright, The Chinese Cheesecake Factory, Ingersoll-Chan, China Junk Buffet ... I love those names.

On a smaller and (to me) accurate slider, I have the 8 1/2 inch Hitachi. It has served me well. Only problem that I have with it, is that it does not have the TRUE' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Look of my 12" Hitachi slider.

I've heard very good things about that small Makita slider. I'm considering their cordless model. Any ideas on that, good or bad?

I've heard very good things about that small Makita slider. I'm considering their cordless model. Any ideas on that, good or bad?
    This may help in the decision making process;

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...icleID=1858903

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Hi, Kent.

Yes, Horror Freight, Harbor Fright, Horror Fright, The Chinese Cheesecake Factory, Ingersoll-Chan, China Junk Buffet ... I love those names.

On a smaller and (to me) accurate slider, I have the 8 1/2 inch Hitachi. It has served me well. Only problem that I have with it, is that it does not have the TRUE' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Look of my 12" Hitachi slider.

Lanya, yep Tom beat me to the article written by our Friend Greg Burnet. The cordless saw is kind of pricy. I'd buy the corded version.
    ~Kent~

So- haven't heard anything about these things lately. Did Kent buy one?Kreg still a fan? Lanya still bitter?

I just ordered one- not the $800 wannabe Hummer, but the $599 standard- I am hopeful, it looks like a sensible unit. My homemade deal has gotten on my last nerve. (I never really perfected it, so it is kind of a Frankenstein's monster thing anyhow)

I find it best to ask opinions AFTER I have spent the cash, to help really build up the buyer's remorse I typically have.
    Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Josh, I never bought one. I look forward to your review though.
    ~Kent~