Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Does a mouse wear out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a mouse wear out?

I use a couple Logitech MX laser mice, exchanging units when the batteries need charging in the rest/charger. Sometimes I have to click 2-3 times when clicking on links as nothing happens?

I suppose it could be a timing issue, but I was wondering....do better mice wear out from clicking? These are not cheapy throw-aways. This is not a tracking thing, but a clik issue. I ordered two new rechargeable batteries about 6 months ago because they finally wouldn't hold a charge very long.
    Take Care

Jim

Re: Does a mouse wear out?

Anything mechanical wears out.

I was a pretty hardcore video gamer when I was younger and I went through at least one high-end mouse per year.
    -----------------------------
    Dustin Wyatt
    -----------------------------

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Comment

I found the rechargeable batteries were giving me fits in mice and other 'sensitive' gear. Toss them out and go with the usual (disposable, ugh) batts and you'll be ok.

Trust me. -Norm

ps: I'll pay for the disposable batts if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Norm
        Thanks for the offer! The recharge between mice is 2-4 weeks, now that the batteries are replaced.
        My only gripe is sometimes clik....no action.
        So, if I need a couple new mice, I'm sure there are good ones out there.
        Take Care

Jim

Comment

Jim - my Logitech mouse goes 3-4 months between battery changes and that's without turning it off - ever. The rechargeables caused all sorts of weird problems, the disposables - not a hitch.

-Norm

Comment

Like Norm says.

I have new bu mouse and keyboard ready. Get them when they're on steep discount. Like a logitech or microsoft wireless set $20.
            http://dealnews.com/Logitech-Cordles...h-/448524.html

Same site got 20 Duracell AA batts $7, 20 AAA $7 no tax, no shipping.
            Last edited by Happy Home; 04-03-2011, 08:11 PM.
            Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

I gave up on the wireless keyboards and mice. They usually work, but when they don't, it is damned annoying, and of course at the most inconvenient time. Unless you really need the wireless capability for some reason, stick with wired keyboards and mice.

Your mileage may vary...
              HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
              Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
              General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
              PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Comment

Jim - Anything mechanical is just like you and me... it definitely wears out ;-) In the case of a mouse, the switches and contacts under those buttons are very cheaply made. It's a wonder they last as long as they do. If you have a ball and roller mouse - forget it.. they're all mechanical.

BTW - I believe (after having dozens of wireless things crap the bed) - that what happens over time is that the radio itself self-destructs. In the case of a WiFi device, if it can't find the access point it sits there blasting away at full power.. which causes heat... which shortens its life. Not sure why Bluetooth and other RF radios die prematurely - but they do. Ditto for infrared devices.

If they made this stuff so it would last forever, they've be out of business in a year or two - nobody would ever replace anything.

JLS
                =====================================
                ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
                Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
                Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
                ====================================

Comment

Norm
                  You're right, the timing is more like a couple months or so. The laser mx series takes a special battery which I had to order from an ebay source. The replacements work fine. I was down to a week or so of use until recharging before replacing the batteries.

So, unless I see a pattern of excessive clik misses, I'll wait it out until one dies, and then start looking around. This style mouse has the number of extra buttons I like without overwhelming you!

I also use the Logitech wireless keyboard, and it is just noew needing new aa batteries after 3-4 years of use. Can't complain about that!
                  Thanks
                  Take Care

Jim

Comment

I've got a new Logi Performance MX. I use rechargeable batteries in it all the time with no problems at all.

Comment

I have a microsoft intellimouse which is wireless - I have had it for about 7 years. It takes 2 standard AA batteries. Still works fine - just have to change the batteries about once every 4 months and I get a notice about 1 week before they die. It gets a lot of use...
                      Andy

"If you find yourself in a hole - stop digging" - Unknown
                      "No one is in business to buy my product" - Unknown

Comment

http://dealnews.com/Logitech-Perform...ng/450919.html
                        Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

I have a Logitech V470 wireless mouse in which I have used rechargeables since it was new. Never had a problem. On my Mac, I have a wireless Microsoft Notebook 5000, also using rechargeable AAAs. Again, never a problem.
                          I DO turn them off when they are not being used.

Comment

Working...
                          X