Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barton City Mi, sometimes under a rock or log

Default Michigan License?

I was on here a few years ago, but had to redo my profile and all so I could post again.
    Here in Michigan, the license renewal procedure/requirements has changed. You now have to have a 3 hour class, and a copy of the latest Code Book.
    I'm sitting on my license for now, due to other circumstances I'm just not able to be out banging nails, etc.
    My question, does anyone know which code book I need? I think it's the IBC, but not sure. Ya, I could call the state or local inspectors, but I thought I'd ask on here. Someone else may have the same question.
    A man's arrogance, is proportional to his ignorance.

Default Re: Michigan License?

The Michigan Residential code book. It's based on the IRC. I'm not sure which version - I have the 2006 which was the version required when I last renewed my lic.

After March 9th you need the 2009 version of the adopted Michigan code. That is the date the 2011 Michigan code goes into affect.

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,...412---,00.html

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Tom is correct. The 2009 Michigan code is based on the IRC/IBC. Your continuing education class hours requirements depend on WHEN you first obtained your license. The state website should have that info.

Ya, I only needed the 3 hour class,and did that back in December. At that time I don't think the new code book was available. I wonder if Michigan is getting a kickback on that code book?LOL
    Thanks guys.

I just looked it up - re continuing ed.
    I took the 8 hour RRP course 3/26/2010 in Grand Rapids. The cetificate states the course also qualified for 8 hours of continuing education for the MI residential builders lic.
    All I need to do now is get the latest MI code book to renew this year. (and send a check to the governor).

Here's a start;

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dl...s_337947_7.pdf

If you care to print the amendments.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene22 View Post
    I took the 8 hour RRP course 3/26/2010 in Grand Rapids. The cetificate states the course also qualified for 8 hours of continuing education for the MI residential builders lic.
    All I need to do now is get the latest MI code book to renew this year. (and send a check to the governor).
    Not so fast. The RRP counts for legal and safety, but you still need 1 hour of codes.

Yup. And RRP only covers the legal and safety of RRP, not in general. But regardless, the code part by itself forces you into the 3-hour refresher, so no point debating the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene22 View Post
    Did you get your renewal already? If ya did, how much is the new license?

Are there new homes still being built in Michigan?
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

Quote Originally Posted by parkwest View Post
    Are there new homes still being built in Michigan?
    He he he, I'm sure more than Idaho.

Hey! I saw a house being built this past winter just down the road from here. lol

The last house I built in Michigan was in the early 90's. The taxes and regulations were getting out of hand back then. Went back to Michigan a couple years ago to visit friends and family and I saw very little residential construction anywhere then. This was in the South Lyon - Northville - Dexter - Chelsea area. It was kinda cool to see houses I had built 30 years ago that were still standing even though we didn't have all the tie-downs and strapping that we are required to use today. lol
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

When we took our continuing ed class we were told it was our responsiblity to provide the State with proof we had the class. I suggest you make copies of what ever documentation you have so you can send it in with your license renewal.

Gary

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/bcs/lic...ing+competency

Reporting Continuing Competency
    Licensees are not required to send proof of completing continuing competency activities to the Department but the licensee shall maintain the documentation for a period of 5 years . MCL 339.2404(6) of the Occupational Code, 1980 PA 299 states: "a licensee shall maintain documentation for at least 5 years of activities meeting the continuing competency requirement."

Note: A licensee may be subject to an audit during a renewal period to determine compliance with the requirements of continuing competency . MCL 339.2404b (9 ) of the Occupational Code, 1980 PA 299, states: "The department may audit a predetermined percentage of licensees who renew in a year for compliance with the requirements of the continuing competency."

Copyright © 2010 State of Michigan
    Last edited by Roger P; 03-06-2011 at 09:03 AM.