Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default what do you carry your tools in? tool bag,box or bucket boss?

I have been using a bucket boss with 50 some pouches for a long time and always liked the way i could keep my stuff organized. It is quite heavy with all the tools I carry and sometimes is hard to find stuff inside the 5 gal bucket. I now see that sveral manufacturers offer hard sided tool bags with alot of pouches similar to the bucket boss, but they are shaped more like a tool box. I think maybe these might be a little easier to carry and easier to access the tools inside because of the shallow depth vs a 5 gal bucket which things get lost in the bottom. Husky pro has one at HD that looks promising and I have seen a much more expensive version at Woodcraft by Veto Inc. that costs like $145. Any opinions on these, good or bad? Any other manufacturers other than the 2 I listed that anyone knows of?

Default Re: what do you carry your tools in? tool bag,box or bucket boss?

I've got one of the Husky open top bags and it's pretty nice. Plenty of pockets inside and out, and a big enough center section to carry a decent amount od stuff, yet not so big that you end up loading 50 lbs of crap in it.

I've got one of the CLC bags from HD with lots of pockets, and it's held up well. It's heavy with all the crap I have in there...

I picked one of the Husky closed storage bags last year. The quality is very good and it has plenty of space, pockets, etc. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 The build quality of most of the others looked good too, including the open ones like Bob has. They have one that is more like a veto but that thing empty is heavy, I can't imagine hauling that around full of tools. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

I'd definitely try out one of the bags over a bucket boss, etc. The pockets on the outside are ok but inside the bucket everything is just piled on top of each other and it's a giant PITA. The bags also have nice shoulder straps and the size is much better for moving around. I never liked the buckets because it was always hitting things and banging my leg.
    Last edited by Hoover; 02-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.

I use a small dolly to carry my bags - it's too heavy otherwise...

I think it really depends on what type of work you do. I've used a lot of different rigs over the years, each one optimized for the specific type of work I was doing at the time. Some of the stuff I've purchased, others I've built, and much of it was a combination of both.

Some common concepts that run throughout my best designs are:

1. Modularity- the most important- ability to add or subtract components as required
    2. Visuality- I have to be able have all tools visible, nothing buried
    3. Simplicity- nothing too complicated or fussy
    4. Durability- No fine furniture or easily broken plastic parts, or small components to fall off
    5. Flexibility- No rigid systems- sometimes I just need to throw stuff in and run
    6. Compactness- size (or lack of) matters
    7. Portability- stuff needs to be on wheels whenever possible, handle stairs, and break down into easily lifted components

You have to sit down and analyze what you do, and put together a system to fit you, rather than trying to shoehorn yourself into somebody else's brainchild. I'm really surprised by the lack of imagination of the manufacturers. What's on the market is mostly pretty pathetic, and most of it fails on the above criteria.

Some components I've found over the years that I've really liked:

The Kennedy cantilevered toolbox, an old Midwest standby, unchanged for at least 40 years:
    http://www.kennedymfg.com/Kennedy/Pr...arryToolboxes/

In my current gig, I've become a fan of the Veto open top bags. Not that they're so wonderful, it's just that all their competition is so pathetic. Expensive, yes. But nothing else really comes close. Their closed top bags won't work for me. I need to look across the room and see what's in there. Stuff needs to be able to hang over the top and just get thrown in when it needs to be.

Systainers are an excellent concept from a modularity standpoint, but I'm not a fan of their implementation. Ergonomically, I find them difficult to open and close, too bulky, and I've had the latches fly off and get lost. The newer version is much improved, but they don't offer quite enough variety of components to handle hand tools and parts to work as a standalone system.

The molded plastic boxes that most power tools come in immediately either go in the garbage or a top shelf of the shop. Too bulky, and too much fiddling to get the cord and whatnot to fit in.

Currently, the main stuff that goes on the job is in:

1. Systainers
    2. Veto Bags
    3. Husky plastic parts boxes http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=1912

4. Stanley plastic rolling tool bins
    http://home-solutions.hsn.com/stanle...ions-_-1060819

(On the Stanley tool bins, I chopped the bottom out of the tray, otherwise hardly anything bulky will fit into the box.)
    Last edited by hdrider_chgo; 02-18-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Carry my hand tools in the same old canvas bag I used in the military, course had to go to a surplus store a few times to replace it.
    Ray D

I agree with hdrider there is no one answer to storage of tools. I have 2 vetro bags for general use mason bags for mason tools and little used odds and ends,specialty bags for things like electrical tools plastic trays for plumbing tools etc. The other thing I have done is to buy generic foam filled cases to condense several tools into 1 case so i now have my impact angle drill and drill in one case as to 3 {milwaukee 12v} also have the same with my hackzall and multi tool.
    Tom D.

more tools please.

looked at the Veto Open Top design again today at Woodcraft, and not sure if its really worth the $$$$$ compared to the Husky Pro "open top with tool wall" for $39. Woodcraft is having a storewide 10% off sale in early March, so that would ease the price a little. Is the Veto really that much better that it demands a price tag that high? Just curious........

I will be carrying all my hand tools in whatever I buy to replace the Bucket Boss. I have another soft sided tool bag that I carry my cordless drill and impact driver and misc driver bits and drill bits in and that works fine for me. I dont really like the Systainers, I think they are too bulky.
    Last edited by dale rex; 02-19-2011 at 11:35 AM.

I have 4 of the veto open xl.
    1, just for drills/charger and bits
    2. interior trim hand tools, grinder and charger
    3. more interior trim hand tools
    4. sockets , wrenches, hand trools, pliers

I wouldn't reccomend these bags even though I obviously have a big investment in them. The inner pouches are useless, the outer pouches are also worthless.I use these for grinder paper/pads and have a hard time getting them in or out. They bags are ok but I find it hard to believe a carpenter designed these.

I used the bucket boss for several years and switched to the Veto. I really like the Veto.

Upside to the BB is you have the middle for drills, bigger tools etc. Downside was it was too bulky and I was loosing stuff in the middle. Plus it's tippable.

Veto is easy to organize and carry

I've used everything at one time or another. When I used to service furnaces and air conditioning I used the 5 gallon pail with the bucket bag. I had a 1x6 across the top so I could sit on and knew exactly what side carried what tools. I also used to step on it to reach high places. Also kept a green garbage bag in there so in case of emergency I could use the pail to put.................................crap in it.
    Most of the above you can't do with any other system.

roger

I use a bucket boss also. I can put various tools back in the bucket so I can return them to my 6 drawer hand toolbox in the truck. Can also throw bits of debris in there when not enough for a bag or box. I have about a dozen canvas bags on shelves in my van along with hard cases with other tools. My everyday drivers are in a canvas bag. I seem to get a couple sets of canvas when there on special. I just got some Klein zipper bags and about 6 Husky zipper bags in the last few months.

I looked at the Veto many times but the weight was a downer. I still look at CLC and others all the time.
    Last edited by Happy Home; 02-19-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

I have a husky open top bag that I carry files, block plane, common hand screw drivers, sanding block, pencil sharpener, extra bits, common chisels, impact and driver.... little stuff. and i wear my tool bags... Other than that it is determined by task on what I grab. I not a huge fan of rolling out stuff I don't need

[QUOTE=rogerg;587351
    Most of the above you can't do with any other system.roger[/QUOTE]

Especially this one!

[QUOTE=rogerg;587351 put.................................crap in it.[/QUOTE]

I use this for the smaller tools. The little compartments on top are great for the odds and ends you always need (wire nuts, nuts/bolts, screws, pencils). It has three lower compartments. So you can take the trays out and set them on a table or wherever and everything is laid out for easy access. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...blockType=G127 My only complaint is the plastic lids on top are fairly easy to break. But for the price they are easy on the pocket to replace.

Then a 5 gal bucket for the larger tools.
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles