Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Peachtree Accounting software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peachtree Accounting software

I am going to buy an accounting program soon and I am considering trying the 'Peachtree Complete' or 'Peachtree Premium' http://www.amazon.com/Sage-Peachtree...dp_ob_title_sw .They have good reviews from what I have seen,does anyone here have experience with Peachtree software??At this point I do not have an accounting program of any kind so there will not be any switch taking place.Whatever I go with will be a start from scratch.Thanks
    Last edited by jjacksonwoodworks; 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM.
    Jeff Jackson

Re: Peachtree Accounting software

I have Peach Tree and Quickbooks for two businesses, they are both very good. I like Quickbooks the best and will be changing the other business to it soon. Peach Tree is more complicated and not as user friendly, it seems to be geared for larger businesses. Quickbooks seems to be made for the guy that needs to get involved in his own paperwork. Every book keeper, accountant & tax person I have done business with has preferred Quickbooks.
    Ray D

Comment

I have used QuickBooks software for many years going from the basic version all the way to the priemer version under contractor. It is a very user friendly and can grow with you as well. We used it at a underground utility contractor that had over 50 employees on payroll and it worked great and best of all there was no expensive training needed for someone to use all aspects of the program. I have tried 3-4 other software brands over the years and Quickbooks in my openion is still the best.
      Troy B
      Just a small fish in a big pond trying to make a difference one job at a time.

Comment

My wife and I use Peachtree and she likes it but I think it was the cause of brain aneurysm in me. I hate the POS.

Andy.
        Was a GC, doing drafting & design now.
        www.draftinginoc.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses.It looks like QB for me based on what y'all had to say.
          Jeff Jackson

Comment

We used Sage's bigger product for a good sized construction company before switching to Accubuild around 10 years ago. I was never very happy with Sage's wanting to charge you a fortune for every little thing. I don't think Sage has gotten any better since then.

Virtually all our small subcontractors and small vendors use Quickbooks.

I use Quickbooks for a small cabinet shop and for my single user labor based work. You will be the rare exception in a small business to use anything but Quickbooks.

I think you would need a good reason to not use Quickbooks. If you have a regular CPA, I would go with their recommendation. I have recently done a bunch of work for one that has a section specializing in construction and they have most of the smaller ones using Quickbooks.

Comment

I've been using MYOB AccountEdge for 20 years and have never had a desire to change. They will give your CPA a free copy to help them do your books.

Comment

Something I recently discovered is that any accounting program that can run really good reports or schedules will help you make friends with your CPA. I had to get an accountants review this past November and the Las Vegas CPA i had to hire because my regular CPA doesn't do audits or reviews told me he was really impressed with the reports and schedules I ran for him in both .PDF and excel. In fact I saved him so much time compiling what he asked for it saved me at least 1 grand and only took me maybe an hour or two of my time. In fact he gave me a compliment that I had the most organized books and decent understanding of accounting than almost any contractor he has done work for.
                Randy

Comment

Peachtree Accounting software

I too think it's somewhat complicated as comparison to some others..
                  Billiard
                  Wastewater Treatment, Effluent Treatment, Outdoor Advertising

Comment

Too easy to "cook the books" in quickbooks. Might work if you are a one man, three ring circus operation, otherwise hard to catch someone embezzling if you have office help.
                    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
                    Working Man Online Store
                    Living Healthy

Comment

I'm with Parkwest, you shouldn't be able to go in and "change" an entry, you should have to make a separate entry that will cancel out the other entry, even if you make a mistake of only a few cents. Peachtree is an accounting software and not a bookkeeper program. I used Peachtree for years and loved it, I worked as an accountant for 10 years though too so it was easy to use. I would still use it now if they had it for Mac when I switched. I know use AccountEdge, after the learning curve I like it even better, it has a better user interface than I was accustomed to.
                      WFM Total Construction, LLC.
                      www.wfmtotalconstruction.com
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miller...C/288706308747

Specialty Timber Products, LLC.
                      www.specialtytimberproducts.com

Comment

If like working on your computer for hours at a time the Peachtree is the way to go. I f your like running your business with a little time left over then you should look at Custom Homebuilders Solutions( CHS).

Comment

Working...
                        X