Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drywall to Shower Flange

I wanted to get some feedback on the best practice for installing drywall above/around shower surounds. In the past, I have padded out the framing to be in same plane as the flange and installed the drywall over the flange keeping it slightly above to prevent wicking. I have also installed it above the flange and just flat taped the gap. I don't hang drywall on a regular basis, (more finish work) but would like to do it right for the long haul. Thanks in advance. builder49

Default Re: Drywall to Shower Flange

I've always hung dw to the flange. Packed the remaining void to the surround wall say 1.25" or so with 45 or 90 min mix. Apply tape over that. Skim out smooth.

I think a couple guy's have said the same here. I have two in my house that way 20 yrs no problem.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

We use MM board and pad out as you,and also we only leave a 1/8 gap at surround and flat tape,never had a problem.

Either way is fine...personally I say gap the board just above the nail flange. Then mesh and hot mud the gap.
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Umm, no to all the above.
    The only acceptable way for sheetrock in a shower or tub surround is behind Schluter Kerdi. and while it's behind the Kerdi, it should never be finished by the sheet rockers.
    Now if you want to hang cement board, or something like Densheild, then hang it like the above answers, but you should still never finish it anywhere where tile will be.
    There's nothing more annoying to tile people than finished sheetrock/ corner bead/ etc... bulging out tile work and giving us a very poor bond.
    oh that and plumbers.

Who the hell said anything about tile? I,m assuming the OP is talking about fiberglass tub units--yes? If not he should have been more specific. I see you reading more into the question just because you do tile!!!!

John,

I also assumed drywall was going in a wet location, and regardless of the covering, drywall has no business in wet locations.

Thanks for the replies; seems like we have a "discussion" here with differing opinions. To clarify things, in the past I have used just regular drywall then came along moisture resistant Green Board. I am installing a tub with fiberglass wall surround and it is this area that has to be finished. NO TILE. Plan is to paint. builder49

So Gary, no moisture and mildew board around shower? Amazing,, 99% of builders and drywallers use this product in bathrooms when there is no tile-just paint---maybe I,m wrong tho--I,m only a drywaller!!!!!

John,

"So Gary, no moisture and mildew board around shower?"

I said drywall has no business in any wet location. Regardless if it's being covered by fiberglass sheets (garbage) or the better stuff acrylic or even better solid surface.

Outside the shower area is a different story, and it was not clear in the first post exactly where drywall was being applied. When I saw the word "Flange" I immediately thought "Wet Location"

I'm a remodeler which gives me license to question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJR View Post
    I said drywall has no business in any wet location. Regardless if it's being covered by fiberglass sheets (garbage) or the better stuff acrylic or even better solid surface.
    My guess is it is fiberglass walls that nail dirrectly to the studs. It is confusing though since he is concerned about water wicking?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJR View Post
    I'm a remodeler which gives me license to question everything.
    I like it.

And like you said, greenboard is ok in a bathroom, but not in the wet area, which is the area inside the shower and up to at least 6 feet above the finished floor.
    Brad

You might be a remodeler but if the simple OP question confused you I,m sorry---seems logical to me he,s describing a fiberglass unit with a flange---I see no where in his post that would make you think its to be sheetrocked and then cheap panels glued---thats what you read into it--- most others see the simplicity of the question...am I wrong????

I apologize for not describing the situation more clearly. I am totally gutting this second floor bathroom in a 1960's house to bare framing. The existing cast iron tub sits in a framed enclosure with three sides. The new tub will fit into this rough opening with some minor reframing. I have to go with a tub and three piece surround because a one piece unit will not make it up the stairs, etc. The three sided enclosure will be insulated on exterior wall with 6-mill vapor barrier. Install tub and three piece surround fastened to framing through flange as normal. I was just interested in how others install their drywall above the surround flange. I have done as Happy Home, DS John and Mike have described using green board. Thanks, builder49

49 your welcome---sorry for my condescending comments to some--its only drywall [ha ha ].Your initial post was very clear to a drywallers mind!!

I was being condescended to?
    I wasn't doing any condescending myself. Just attempting to enlighten a trade of another trades issue where we overlap.
    Yes, I here shower, I think tile. Sorry.
    Can we still be freinds John?