Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Graco Proshot cordless airless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Graco Proshot cordless airless

I talked to Graco technical support yesterday, and they helped explain a little better how this machine works. The instructions aren't real clear about what the purpose is of this valve on the side- it sounds like something to relieve the pressure before removing the cup.

However, they explained to me that this is to "prime" the pump. You need to get material circulating from the cup to the gun and back to the cup first. That takes about 10 seconds of holding the trigger with the valve open. You then shut the valve, and the material flows to the tip rather than all back to the cup. If the pump loses prime for any reason, like you tip the cup too much and get air in, you need to re-prime. You can also lose prime if the check valve opens because of a clog or piece of dirt, or if the check valve opens because the material is too thick.

I tried more spraying today, and now that I understand it, it is working better. Maybe all these types of airless guns work like this, requiring priming, and everyone knows this, but this is my first experience with airless, so I didn't get it.
    "If you only have a hammer, all problems look like nails"

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
    Wood storm windows in Chicago
    Weatherizing vintage buildings in Chicago

Comment

HD

Good move, calling tech support. Graco is a good company.

I wouldn't say that this is a typical intended function of the prime valve on an airless. But this isn't a typical airless, and it's really the first generation of a new line of technology. All in all it's really good, a little finicky until you figure it out. Not an everyday driver. But a really handy convenience tool.
      Scott Burt

Http://www.topcoatfinishes.com/
      http://topcoatreview.com/

Comment

I just got mine. Have not tried it yet. I will use Floetrol as I always do with latex finish coats and a bit of H2O. Let you know. Still inclined to screen paint.

The prime loss reminds me of my diaphragm pump.

Comment

Just a quick note that I did pick one of the corded plus versions this week and shot a few things. Overall it seems to work quite well, and it does put out a lot of paint. It does loose prime pretty easily once the cup starts getting below half full if you tilt it. But it is easy to prime it and get it spraying again. If you keep the cup pretty full, you won't have the problem as often (or if you keep it level) I think there is an accessory cup that has the syphon tube angled more to help with the problem.

I have a cheap regular graco airless that the prime works on the same principal, so I figured that out pretty quick. I do remember that one giving me problems when I first bought it since it had a little card attached with like 12 steps to get it running. Once I figured out all you have to do it flip it to prime until the paint comes out the bottom, then turn it to regular mode, it works great. This gun is the same way, flip to prime for 5-10 seconds, then back to spray.

I also stumbled upon this auction that is selling a needle seat that supposedly fixes the spitting problem if you have it, and also supposedly extends the needle life out to 700 gallons? The auction is kinda confusing, so I am not sure if that is what it is for? I plan on sending an email to get a little more info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graco-Pro-Shot-O...item4153a2f774

Also seems expensive for what it is, but if the seat and needle is what supposedly wears out on these guns after 50 gallons, and this new seat fixes it or extends the life, probably worth the money.

Brew

Comment

I am confused too . Does it prevent the wear, in that you should place it on a new unit or is it for after the wear occurs? I do not like to buy anything from ebay due to past bad experiences and most prices are higher there than in the sellers own web site .

Guess I will call graco on Monday to ask if they have a comment on where the actual wear occurs. I thought it was the piston that was first to wear out?The Plus/Pro have a coating which is the improved change ["Endurance pump has 2x the life span" of the other cheaper gun]. That is what wears out according to Graco's Lit. . The needle and seat even if perfect , are of no use if the piston is spent, and there is no replacement piston, so what is the point ? I can see it on the G-10 type guns, but of not real value on a True coat type.
            Am I missing something? Also , I agree $20 for a small seal is also overpriced.
            Tips are replaceable, not the piston as of yet.

Looks like the newer Pro Shot [SW]and "PRO-X" models have a black plastic plug on the valve area so that you can rebuild them to go to 100 gallons from 50. The Plus and Pro do not. I need to find out if that will fit into the Plus too. Kit part #16D563.
            I have yet to use mine and if I can not rebuild it I am going to exchange it. Never saw those models before.
            Last edited by Andrew M.; 02-05-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Brew

They do have a larger cup for it, which we just got the other day. We also find it handy to have several in rotation for doing more than a quart of volume.

Also, just to make the cordless series more interesting (confusing!), there is a new ProShot unit coming out next month that is designed specifically for fine finish, and solvent compatible, explosion proof, etc. We are testing it currently.
              Scott Burt

Comment

I saw the fine finish model at the local SW when I picked up the plus model. But for the $700 price tag they had on it, I think I will pass, at least for now.

It really does blow through those quarts pretty quick, might have to check out the larger cups.

I sent an email to the company with that seal and haven't heard from them yet. Will see what they have to say. I thought it was the pump that goes bad too, so not sure what this seal would do to improve longevity. I am guessing/hoping that someone will figure out how to rebuild it with graco parts or not.

Brew

Comment

Did you buy the Pro Plus or the Pro Shot?
                  As far as I can see the Plus can not use the rebuild kit. SW sells the Pro Shot the most. I still think the cord powered is better, but there is no rebuild one yet. I doubt even at 100 gals supposed life of the ProShot unit,[after 1 rebuild] , the needle is the issue. The rebuild kit is the inlet valve assembly.
                  I personally have had it , enough already with all the different types of batteries I have to maintain and replace. I would like a pro quality rebuild type corded model. At $235, for now I guess the corded Plus unit might still be the best deal even with the limited life span.
                  The fact after being over at the painttalk forum and reading, is the cleaning gals. also goes into the life span wear, so actually it is not 50 gals of paint but 50 gals. of anything under hi pressure . That kinda sucks.
                  Last edited by Andrew M.; 02-06-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I bought the truecoat plus model. I did not want another battery and charger to worry about, especially the once every 6 months I would probably pull it out. Much easier to just throw out a drop cord and go.

The first time I cleaned it, I figured running water through it was cutting life too. so I tried to "make it quick" when cleaning. I hope someone figures out how to make it last a little longer, but for how much I foresee using it, it will still probably last me 10 years.

Brew

Comment

The new Tools of the Trade is out and there is a review of the original Graco ProShot:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...26610&artnum=1
                      Scott Burt

Comment

good review Scott
                        Thanks
                        Mark Parlee
                        BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                        EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                        EDI Seminar Instructor
                        Level one thermographer (Snell)
                        www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                        You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee View Post
                          good review Scott
                          Thanks
                          Thanks Mark. Tott does a great job of publishing no nonsense tool info. David was fun to work with.

The PS is still a fairly new technology, at least at the professional level, so I am trying to help guys like us understand where it fits in the practical world of finishing.
                          Scott Burt

Comment

Working...
                          X