Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Default Transferring Carbonite to a new machine

I'm replacing my existing desktop machine with a new one, and need to move Carbonite over. I am going to move my user files to the new machine by taking the current batch of folders I have and simply copying them to the new machine. What I *don't* want is for Carbonite to re-back-up everything because it doesn't know they're already backed up. Any tips on how to make this go smoothly?

Or... should I just let Carbonite restore the entire backup? That'll take days.....
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Default Re: Transferring Carbonite to a new machine

I let Carbonite do it when I got a new machine last spring. It took a while but not too long. Maybe a day and a half? I don't really remember.

Dave
    I did this recently -- that won't happen if you just drag everything over as long as you do the dance they want you to do. Not positive , but I think this is the right article.

http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/an...tail/a_id/1365

BTW - Carbonite has some help guides for exactly this kind of thing on their site. I'd start there Their support people are good - let them know what you want to do and avoid - and they'll help you. I don't want to give you bad info here.

JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Well it totally depends on how much data, and at what speed your connection can maintain continuous throughput (vs just bursts).

I had 50Gig + and it took almost a full week. I would not recommend doing that if you don't need to. If you had 5 gig or something -sure. It's not that hard to calculate how long it will take if you know your average throughput.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Quote Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post
    Well it totally depends on how much data, and at what speed your connection can maintain continuous throughput (vs just bursts).

I had 50Gig + and it took almost a full week. I would not recommend doing that if you don't need to. If you had 5 gig or something -sure. It's not that hard to calculate how long it will take if you know your average throughput.

JLS
    I have 50 gigs of music on my computer and it took about a week also to back up my computer with Carbonite. It seemed like forever.
    Randy

I ended up letting Carbonite restore the files, and it worked fine. It put them in the right place on the new machine and it took about 28 hours. This has done a lot to give me some confidence in the service, as I've gone maybe 5 years with it and never restored anything.
    Website - Facebook

Well all's well that ends well.
    Carbonite is a very good service, as is Mozy. They're a little different in approach and etc. but the one thing they're both limited by is the user's bandwidth. In a real recovery situation, what you could do is access critical files immediately via their web interface while you let them restore to a new hard drive.. You can also force the order of the restore operation so you get the files you need the worst, first. The main thing is that you lock the account and put the service in restore mode when something big happens. You want to make sure you get everything restored one way or another before you start with the back-up again .... otherwise you'll wind up losing your backed-up files because it only holds them 30 days. You won't lose any data if you use common sense, but I've had a couple clients re-install the service on a new, empty machine but never really restore the old back-up. So what happens is the empty "my documents" starts overwriting anything that is over 30 days old in the back-up set and before long there's nothing backed up and nothing restored. Two months later when they finally get around to looking for the old files.. they find that there's nothing in their back up set older than 30 days !

JLS

Joe Stoddard

My understanding is that as long as the file's on my machine, Carbonite will keep it on theirs (assuming it is selected for backup in my directory). I have gone thru quite a few folders and all the restored files seem as they should.

I'm retiring the old machine but I'm going to keep it around for at least a few months. If it turns out something is missing it would still be available to recover. It has a 40 gig hard drive and only 2 gig is free. Not dead, but barely able to move. It lasted almost 6 years. One of the reasons the drive is full is that I have never off-loaded anything to an external drive, because I don't believe Carbonite would back them up from there.
    Website - Facebook