Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rug jecked out from under

I find out this morning that the college will not renew my contract so it looks like I will be looker for new job. This really sucks; hopefully on the bigger and better things.
    Build it Energy Efficient

Default Re: Rug jecked out from under

Are they eliminating the entire program?

If so it just follows the rest of the educational system. Sad to say, but true.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find a job quickly.

The construction trades program was not really given much of a chance. When the VP of academics was told by our advisory panel (local contractors) that the students coming out of the program would get paid 50 cents more than a labor they were not really behind it. The only thing that kept it alive these last several years was the fact that program moved out the local minimum security prison, and was funded by the Wyoming Community Development Authority. They pull out a year ago May when things started slowing down. We were trying to build some student housing for the college using our construction trades at the prison, but some local contractors were upset with that, so the college has to let it go out for bids. I was thinking that we would get bids, and give the board of trustees the option of using contractors or continuing the education program. I was told that administration is going to table the program until January, but I am beginning to wonder if it is even going to happen.
    Maybe this will just open up some new opportunities for me. I have thought about going back in the contracting, but this is a bad time of year to get something started. We will see what happens. I guess it is time for me to put this into Gods hands.

Quote Originally Posted by m beezo View Post

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find a job quickly.
    That might be interesting. Does anyone know who I could contact.

I can't say it's surprising. The residential program I teach in here in GA is seeing lower and lower enrollment each year, and probably isn't too far from being shelved either. When I started teaching 3 years ago, I had almost 30 students in the residential construction management program, and the carpentry program had around 55 students between the evening and day classes. This year (starting in two weeks), we've got 11 in the management program, and I think 12 in the day carpentry program and 6 in the evening carpentry program. I'm surprised their even letting the evening program go forward this year- they cancelled it two years ago due to low enrollment, and I think there were more students enrolled in that class than in this one.

It's a sad commentary on our industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rodewald View Post
    That might be interesting. Does anyone know who I could contact.
    Don't get too excited- JLC Live is only two events this year- you'll still have to cover the other 50 weeks of the year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
    Don't get too excited- JLC Live is only two events this year- you'll still have to cover the other 50 weeks of the year.....
    What!? it does not pay well enough to just work the 2 shows a year! I find that hard to believe!

Seems like we are trading quips this morning Bob! Someone else gets up early and checks in before starting to work! Addicted you think?

What!? it does not pay well enough to just work the 2 shows a year! I find that hard to believe!

Seems like we are trading quips this morning Bob! Someone else gets up early and checks in before starting to work! Addicted you think?
    I check in when I get to work at 6:30 or so. Definitely not addicted though....lol

So this is how you spend company time.

Your turn beez.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
    So this is how you spend company time.

Your turn beez.

Tom
    Nope- "company time" doesn't start til 8. I get there early to do all the goofing around before 8 that everyone else does once they get there at 8......

So what the heck does my $15 expo fee go torward? That should be enough to carry a few carpenters for 6 months.
    I mean it's not like we're paying auto mechanics or something LOL........

You should get an I phone Beezo. Then you could go on JLC during work and get more sleep in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob scott View Post

You should get an I phone Beezo. Then you could go on JLC during work and get more sleep in the morning.
    I have a hard enough time figuring out how to use the phone I have now.

Plus lately I ahve been doing so much time and material type work that I would never get the job done if I was reading JLC during work days.

Nope- "company time" doesn't start til 8. I get there early to do all the goofing around before 8 that everyone else does once they get there at 8......
    Thats what they all say!!!!!!!!!!

beez,

That just means you get paid to read the forum.

Tom

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rodewald View Post
    We were trying to build some student housing for the college using our construction trades at the prison, but some local contractors were upset with that
    That type of competition between public and private can be a real problem. It might have worked better if the work was put out to bid with the stipulation that a percentage of hiring had to be from a pool of workers established by the program.

It's a sad commentary on our industry.
    Sounds like fewer potential students see construction as a good career move right now. Can't say as I blame them... we have a serious excess of people in the industry already.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook