Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default OSHA 10-hour expiration?

Do the OSHA 10-hour certifications expire? I've been looking thru some stuff - the cards themselves don't say, the big OSHA Standards book I have doesn't say. I have 5 years stuck in my head but can't say why. I just hired a guy who took it in 08 so I guess we're nominally covered, but I think no one else has taken it since 05.

Default Re: OSHA 10-hour expiration?

The 10-hour training doesn't expire, but it's still a good idea to get the guys to re-take the class periodically since the regulations change over time.

From OSHA.gov

Do the student course completion cards expire?

No. The student course completion cards do not have an expiration date. The form and content of additional training is left to the discretion of the student and/or employer. The Outreach Training Program is intended as an orientation to Occupational Safety and Health. Workers must receive additional training on specific hazards of their job.

So, as you can see the cards do no expire, but sometimes as in with the state of Nevada, you must renew your card every five years. Other times employers make you renew the course every year just to make sure you know proper safety compliance.

There is a wealth of information located at OSHA 10 Hour Training

"OSHA recommends Outreach Training Courses as an orientation to occupational safety and health for workers. Participation is voluntary. Workers must receive additional training on specific hazards of their jobs. This course completion card does not expire."

from the back of my card ;-)

Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Here in NYC, the answer is Yes & No.
    While the 10 hour card doesn't expire as far as OSHA is concerned, the Department of Buildings (DOB) requires that workers be re-certified every 5 years. While one might think that the Federal regulation takes precedence, that is NOT the case. The more protective regulation takes precedence and that's the DOB regulation in this instance.

In Nevada your card does not expire but, within 5 years of the issue date you must show an Update Course that is equal to at least half the hours of the card.

So a 10 Hour requires 5 hours of updates and a 30 requires 15 hours. The training must be done by an OSHA Authorized Trainer or CSHTO.

This is not an OSHA deal but, a Nevada requirement. The actual OSHA card is good but, without the updates you can't use it to work as it is required in any construction trade.

I know New York has a mandatory update every 2 years.

So we must retake or reteach the entire class and have an issue a new card,is this right?

Depends on your location and local requirements, as was explained in the previous replies. In CT it is not required as far as I know. NYS is licensed county by county, so you would need to check the county requirements. The Federal requirements are the minimum, the local jurisdiction can up the requirements if they want to, just like building codes.

phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.