Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Default Chamfer on round concrete pier

I need to pour some 10" dia sonotube piers for 8" dia columns, and would like a way to form a chamfer around the top of the concrete. Quick search shows some flexible PVC chamfer strip but the salesperson was hesitant to say that I could bend it to 10" without a headache. Obviously I could mill up something in wood, but that's a real project multiplied by several piers. What's quick 'n easy?
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Default Re: Chamfer on round concrete pier

What about letting it set up a couple days and then shaping it with a grinder?
    -Sean

Dave
    You can use a 1" or larger rope stapled to the sonotube to create a routed edge. You can ease the edges carefully next day.
    Take Care

Jim

Can you trowel it in after the pour?

David, two ideas:

1. Coil stock. Make a donut. Outer radius is your sonotube radius times sqrt2 (in your case, (+-5" x 1.414 = 7.07"). Inner radius, in your case, is 4" x 1.414, or 5.657". Cut out the donut and cut a slit through it. Pass one side over the other and you can make your own truncated cone to use as a form.

2. Cut the tube to exact height before you pour. Once the concrete starts to set up, use a brick trowel to cut in a chamfer. Clean it up with rough sandpaper after you cut the tube away the next day.

8x10 pvc reducer. Metal duct maybe cheaper. Cut off 8 side just at point of reduction

I did 36" piers for that scoreboard job last year.

We poured the concrete a little higher than the edge of the tube (think surface tension) and then just chamfered by hand with a margin trowel.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I like the donut idea, but won't a bagel work better?

I have done this with blue 1" styrofoam. I ripped the foam on a 45° on a jobsite tablesaw.A tight radius wii probably need to be in 4 or so pieces. I had a few 24" diameter sonotubes that went in in two pieces. I believe 16" sonotube was the smallest I did.
    Try one and see if you have the material on hand.
    mike

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

I could cut it by hand after pouring, but the issue is that you get into the rocks and the finish looks different. I'd rather form it, vibrate it, get the surface to be 100% cream. I can't believe Sonoco doesn't make something for this. The HVAC reducer and the foam are both good ideas. I was also wondering if I could get clear pine chamfer strip, make a million little kerfs in the back, and then hot-glue it into place inside the tube. Apparently the flexible PVC stuff works well starting at about 18" diameter.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

To respond to post number 9...

Beware that cutting rigid foam on a table saw may result in the foam melting, dripping onto the motor and hardening into a shell. It ain't pretty.

David,

Sounds like this needs to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I'd form it either with the duct or spend the time and make something.

Here is a link to a radius chamfer tool:

http://www.bontool.com/product1.asp?...roductlistings

Lots of good ideas. Here's one that may not be so brilliant, but what the heck: How about making a simple chamfering tool for the job - essentially a wood trammel arm with a mitered block attached at either end. The distance from the square shoulders of the blocks would equal the I.D. of the tube, which they'd bear against. In use, you'd cut your forms to their correct heights, pour the concrete, float the tops, then spin your chamfering tool inside the forms, creating the bevel. You may have to steel trowel the edges to achieve a uniform texture, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
    Greg

How many do you have to do?

Also, remember that ALL sonotubes have different diameters. They are not precision made!

If you are going to FINISH the tops but FORM the chamfer, it's not going to look consistent.