Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Ice and Water Shield Re-Roof

Three years ago I re-roofed a low pitch kitchen roof and used GAF Ice and Water shield as underlayment as added protection. I am now adding an addition to this home and the owners want me to re-roof the kitchen again to match the shingle color of the new room. What do I need to do with the ice and water shield? Can it be reused? If not, how do I remove it now that it is bonded to the plywood?

Thanks Tony

Default Re: Ice and Water Shield Re-Roof

It's not coming off now, Tony. It's part of the plywood. In North Carolina, I would probably run a single course along the eaves, valleys and cheek walls, and use another roofing underlayment elsewhere--such as tar paper or Rooftopguard.

If it's a low enough pitch that the manufacturer's instructions were to cover the whole roof with I&WS, then you probably ought to add a full second layer. As Mike said, it's not coming off.

How low is low-pitch? Shingles may not be a compliant roofing even with I&W.

You just strip it and add a new layer of I&W on top of it. the old stuff is not coming off at all, and in a rare occasion may also bond to the shingles, if thats the case you will earn some blisters in ripping it. )

RooferJim
    www.jbennetteroofing.com

i was told by i&w manufacture that u can only have 2 layers, then u need to remove the plywood and start over.

good luck getting the shingles off the i&w. start early in the morn and hurry up before the sun hit it.
    Last edited by kubietime; 07-09-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kubietime View Post
    good luck getting the shingles off the i&w. start early in the morrn and hurry up before the sun hit it.
    Got me thinking.....lol...maybe you could build a small sled with a block of dry ice in it and pull it around. This is what some folks on these forums recommend to remove floor tiles..
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

You just man-up and rip it. )