Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

portable Miller welder 3500 for $1000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable Miller welder 3500 for $1000

Hi there,
    recently I saw the ad offering a portable Miller welder 3500 and a generator for $1000.
    The seller says it's manufactured a year ago and has been used very little. Sounds like bargain, but that makes me suspicious. What can I ask the seller about to make sure I won't get scammed?
    Btw, you can take a look at the welder uder tools and equipment

Re: portable Miller welder 3500 for $1000

Do I smell something?

Comment

Originally posted by rustbucket View Post
      Do I smell something?
      Just the foul smell of fried Spam.
      Greg

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

just sayin'

phil
        It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Originally posted by philthegreek View Post
          Hope he's not wearing any of that stuff when he's frying Spam - I hear the grease splatter can be painful.
          Greg

Comment

It looks like a Blue Star 3500 Honda or a Blue Star 3500 Kolher .

Honda 140 A at 25 V, 30% Duty Cycle, 100 A a 25 V, 60% Duty Cycle; 80 A at 25 V,
            100% Duty Cycle
            9 HP Honda Engine;
            Generator Power: 3,500 Watts;
            Output Power Range: 40 - 140 Amps

So at 80 Amps you can weld continuously for for 10 minutes (100% duty cycle) before overheating , at 100 Amps you can weld continuously for 6 minutes (60% duty cycle) and must rest for 4 minutes, at 140 Amps you can weld continuously for 3 minutes (30%) duty cycle and rest for 7 minutes. And that 's all DC. Works best with 3/32 -5/32 in thick mild steel. It can also be used to TIG weld which I never did TIG but is pretty difficult and requires a shielding gas. If you have never TIG welded I recommend you take a class if you want to learn it. The work that this TIG welder is rated is non-critical in nature. Best rods for Stick welding (SMAW) are 6011, 6010 for tack welding, thin walled pipe work; 7018 for more structural work . 6010-11 are easy to strike arc with and the puddle sets fast. Lot's of spatter. 7018 has a higher tensile strength and produces nice looking welds (as does 7024) but the puddle stays molten longer and is more difficult to handle. Basically this is for farm and light maintainence repair as well as some light structural steel. And with the generator you can run several power tools. They start at about 2000 brand new.

Link for the product specs.
            http://www.xedf.com/itw/products/eng...3500/index.htm
            Link for the manual
            http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o498f_mil.pdf

Kolher probably is very similar to the Honda engine but is 8HP instead of 9HP

Comment

Working...
            X