Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Raise My Garage Door Header

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise My Garage Door Header

I built my house 10 years ago and one of the mistakes I made was installing a 16 foot by 7 foot garage door. Now I want to raise the door 21 inches by adding another panel to my rollup door. The big job is raising the header 21 inches. My garage is 23 feet wide and when we installed the header we ran the header all the way across the width of the garage so the header is 23 feet long. It is going to be difficult to raise the entire 23 feet so I was thinking about cutting the header so that it would be 16 foot and 6 inches. (The header would be above the door only not spanning the entire width of the garage) I would have two trimmers under each end of the header and a 4" X 4" stud at the ends of the header going floor to ceiling. My ceiling height is 10 foot 3 inches. Do you see any problem with my plans?

Re: Raise My Garage Door Header

If you are doing this to your house, and not one of ours, why would any of us see a problem?... If you are asking if this is a good idea..... perhaps you should hire a contractor...

Comment

I guess the only question I would have is: Is the final result compliant with the prescriptive code?

A "yes" would be good. Otherwise engineering would be required.

Comment

I would think for a 16' header you would need more than 6" for jacks...just sayin'.

Comment

At this point I say, Thanks for nothing.

Comment

Well then, by golly at this point, you're welcome. For nothing.
            Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

And that's exactly what you paid, too!

Comment

You guys should be comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Unforgiven View Post
                  I would think for a 16' header you would need more than 6" for jacks...just sayin'.
                  I have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

We are check the funny papers
                    My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      In which case you're not qualified to do the job.
                      Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                      Website - Facebook

Comment

Which is why most people on here don't want to deal with HO questions.

Check out this thread I think it might help. http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41060
                        Brad

Comment

Sorry, I didn't realize this forum was for professionals only. I have built (doing all the phases of construction) 4 houses over my 65 years of life but I am not a professional builder. I am a mechanical engineer. I guess I should know what a "jack" is but I don't. Maybe they are what I know as cripple studs?

Comment

John- yes, they are also known as cripples. A double cripple on either end gives you about 6" of bearing to support that header. Things seem a bit lean, but it really depends on construction. Truss roof or stick framed with a gable that's got to hold up a ridge beam that holds 1/2 the roof, etc. Likely might want more bearing, but might not need it. I can't say right now.
                            http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Sorry, I didn't realize this forum was for professionals only. I have built (doing all the phases of construction) 4 houses over my 65 years of life but I am not a professional builder. I am a mechanical engineer. I guess I should know what a "jack" is but I don't. Maybe they are what I know as cripple studs?
                              Being a professional engineer I guess you have a right to be here.

Being a professional engineer you might understand the liability of giving assistance based on incomplete information.

I would suggest you make up some sketches of what is in place and what you plan to do and see the local building inspector. Most of the guys here who are inspectors appear to be friendly.

Comment

Working...
                              X