Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Sawbuck

Default Delta Sawbuck

Does anyone know if another tool company is producing anything similar to the sawbuck. I don't have the model number, but it is a self contained stand, table, and rails and is capable of making compound cuts and crosscutting up to 16 or 18 inches. It is kind of a cross between a radial arm and sliding miter saw.

Ours was a workhorse and we like to replace it for cutting soffit and siding material but delta is not making it anymore. Guess there must be something more expensive after 15 years that doesn't work half as well.

Ill try to get the model or a pick posted.

Thanks guys.

Default Re: Delta Sawbuck

It's been replaced by sliding compound miter saws. They're as good as the good old sawbuck ever was.

Except they only cut about 12-13" while the sawbuck has much more cutting capacity.

I am also looking for one.
    Louisville Exteriors
    Professional Installers of:
    Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

I'll keep my eyes posted on Clist here for you guys, they're not that uncommon for some reason here in Fla., probably due to the vast amounts of vinyl siding here :)
    "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

tapco and vanmark make nice saw tables for what you want to do

i had a couple sawbucks early on, guys would give them to me because they weren't using them

back in the 70s and early 80s that was THE tool to have
    Last edited by tom struble; 01-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Tom

my buddy still has one and it works fine. he would never sell it ;-) he bought it new in the 80s.

Yea tom but can you cut a bevel on any of them?

I'd pay up to 1k for something that could cut 19" at a 45 bevel.

Radial arm saw is as close as I can come up with and those are so bulky and dangerous I'd hate to haul it from job to job and wait for someone to hurt themselves.
    Last edited by J.Buesking; 01-26-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    Louisville Exteriors

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Josh... track saw with a short rail?

I have seen at least a couple of sawbucks on craigslist recently, usually in this price range.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/1570489452.html
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

I thought I was the only one who bought one. If they had put real bearings on the rails like SCMS saws have now it would have been a great tool. Instead they had some sort of felt deal that never worked.

John

I need something for production cutting David. Say 125 cuts a day. Way to cumbersome clamping the rail over and over.

I've looked on CL around here but not had any luck.
    Louisville Exteriors

Josh, hammer,

I had (don't do much siding anymore) the predecessor to this one;

http://www.tapcotools.com/pages/tables_protrax.php

It will cut a bevel to what ever angle your saw will bevel to. It will adjust down to a 14 deg angle (3/12).

Mine was great when I did siding, sold to a friend how uses it to this day, about 20 years on it. I have a saw buck also, time to replace the armature bearings.

Some idea on cost;

http://www.industrialladder.com/list...?categoryID=54

Just noticed the mini one, will that work for you? The price seems right.

Tj
    Last edited by tjbnwi; 01-26-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

thanks for the info guys. I am glad that there are still some out there, we're not alone! I'll check out clist too.

We really liked that the table was good sized and allowed you to use it like a work bench too. It bothers me that these 70 pound miter boxes don't have wheels and have such little tables that they can't support anything over 6 inches wide.

I haven't used a cutting table that much, they seem awefully expensive because of all the aluminum, and I hate that the table is solid and collects all the metal chips to scratch up finished work pieces.

Has anyone used a track saw on soffit or siding... it seems like there would be alot of options there.

TJ- the price is definately right on some of those tables... free always sounds good to me ;)

andy

table is not solid it slides away on each side of the boom,i don't know which table you ever used but ive never noticed this scratching of material,saw buck table is solid
    Tom

Tom- you are right. I was thinking of the grid portions of the table to the right and left of the rotating section.

We always cut finish side up with the sawbuck, I'm assuming that finish side down would be required with the tables due to the opposite blade rotation, or is it possible to pull the skillsaw toward you?

After reading some of the posts I realized just how old that saw is. Probably closer to 25 than 15. Man, I'm getting old already- bad knees, elbow and now the memory... will whom ever has the nail gun just shoot me ;)

Quote Originally Posted by hammerone40 View Post
    We always cut finish side up with the sawbuck, I'm assuming that finish side down would be required with the tables due to the opposite blade rotation, or is it possible to pull the skillsaw toward you?
    I am a little slow so bare with me, as I do not understand your statement.

The direction that the saw is fed has nothing to do with blade rotation. Install the blade backwards on the circular saw just as you had on the Sawbuck. Pushing or pulling the saw through the material should have no affect on the product.

I used to tear the ends off of the soffit panel boxes, align the product, clamp the "free" end and proceed to cut the panels to length, box, paper and all the panels. This kept the panels clean and they did not blow off the picks/planks on a windy day. I am way to lazy to work any harder that I have to.

The real advantage to the cutting table is the low angles it will cut for gable ends.

Never had a scratching problem I did not create by being careless or stupid.

I got my Sawbuck in the very early 80's.

Tj
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.