Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Few IBS Thoughts

It was great seeing everyone at IBS - Allan/Dan/Randy bought me dinner Wed. night which was great - thanks again guys.

I took off Thursday after my GenY panel session so I didn't get a whole lot of time on the show floor, but here's a few random thoughts. I'd love it if those of you who were there would add your .02 to these comments, agree or disagree.

First - it was obvious the show was quite a bit smaller than normal. No exhibits at all in South Hall, and as I posted pre-show, there were hotel rooms available all over town. But to be honest... I felt it was a much _better_ show than we've had in several years. I'm not talking about exhibits necessarily... and I'm not even talking about the conference content...

If you're thinking...
    "That's wack.... fewer exhibits and not sure about conference content... how could it be "better" ?? "

It was better because the ATTENDEES were much more serious and purposeful. Builders, consultants, vendors... everyone I talked to who had spent the effort and money to be at the show - all were focused and there for a reason. That's a big change from the recent past.

At the peak of the boom, the shows in Orlando were mobbed, but UN-focused. The conference speakers were teaching the same things the same way, and the rooms were full... but nobody was really listening. The exhibit halls were mobbed... but not by builders. The difference between a big-numbers show and an average show is as much about companies bringing more of their staff as it is about more actual companies. So there were lots of bodies who were there for the experience of a big show away from home. That's fine too - those years were a lot of fun and I'm glad so many people got to experience them.

Last year everyone was still shell-shocked, it's taken until now for the industry to get over our hang-over from the boom years. This year, in my sessions and also others I attended, the attendees were really looking for answers, they were asking serious questions and were more engaged than the past several years. That's subjective, but If you're teaching a class - that's exactly the response you hope for.

Anyway - I really enjoyed the show this year. The Internet is great, but every once in a while you need to get together in-person.

JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Default Re: A Few IBS Thoughts

Joe, I agree it was a great show. If a person had never attended before, and attended this show they would be overwhelmed with the extent of the exhibits. It is just those of us who have attended in prior years have seen larger shows. But there were still hundreds of exhibits, thousands of people. And as you say, those of us still standing probably represent the lifers who are long term builders. Several vendors I talked to said the show was a success.

And the seminars were fantastic, I attended several, and bought 15 CD's I intend to listen to the next few weeks. I just can't imagine a builder or remodeler not attending these shows. As someone who has attended most of them since 1980, they have for sure made me a much better builder.

And I enjoyed Wednesday night, us treating you to dinner was a small payback for all that you contribute to the forum. We're sending a copy of the check to Siebert to get his share.
    ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

By the way, anyone can buy recordings of the seminars at this site.

http://www.mobiltape.com/conference/...Builders-Show/

This site gives a description of the actual seminars (click Search).

http://www.buildersshow.com/Global/E...bs10/sessions/
    Last edited by Allan Edwards; 01-22-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Joe

Curious as to what did you take back from the show, and what do you see happening in this industry the next few years.

Twitter

Houzz

Yeah, me too Joe. Report back when you've caught your breath. And you too, Allan. I don't make it to very many shows (JLC is about it, even that only occasionally).

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Dan View Post
    Yeah, me too Joe. Report back when you've caught your breath. And you too, Allan. I don't make it to very many shows (JLC is about it, even that only occasionally).
    Dan

Having read your posts here for a long time, you are a perfect example of someone who would benefit from these shows. You obviously are a bright, serious contractor trying to improve. And it isn't expensive to go, especially for the first time. I have dozens of old CD's from recent shows, I may package a few and send to you so you can get an idea of what is being discussed.

Twitter

Houzz

This was my 9th show and I think the best as far as new information, not so much that the presenters were any better but that so much has changed so fast and they were able to provide so much more. My head was spinning at one point, anyway I brought back lots of great stuff and will sort through. The big thing seems to be preparation for Gen Y…….old school builders that build a model and wait for them to come….good luck.

I agree that the show had a better feel than the last few years and the floor was very manageable as the booths were much smaller. Every time I turned around I was bumping into Randy or Allan at a seminar, good to see both and had a great time at dinner. Joe’s Cheap Tricks seminar was the best yet as well, definitely mixed it up this year!

They did something interesting this year with the tapes offering audio only or for $7 more you could get the slide show, I ordered about half my CD’s with that.
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiobuilder View Post
    The big thing seems to be preparation for Gen Y…….old school builders that build a model and wait for them to come….good luck.
    Funny, because I have neglected this Gen Y thing, all of my buyers are late 40's and higher. But in the last Quarter I have sold 4 new homes, and 3 of them have been to Gen Y'ers. Builders better pay attention!

Any comments on the 32 bit Buildsoft demo, Allan?
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

Quote Originally Posted by parkwest View Post
    Any comments on the 32 bit Buildsoft demo, Allan?
    Park

I did not even look at Buildsoft, I passed by the Constellation booth and was going to glance at it but no one was available so I moved on.

Twitter

Houzz

If I knew you were going to hit up Dick... we should have ordered a couple of 5-lb lobsters for the table too :-)

I don't know that I have any single great take-away from the show, other than I feel like the builders who were there (that I talked to , anyway) for the most part were the "survivors"- were actual builders and not first-year house/land flippers.... or posers like we had in 2004-06. People who tried to disguise their complete lack of knowledge with big talk and numbers and stats that didn't make any sense...

"...Uh,yuh..we just started up last month. I'm from "manufacturing" and this is my buddy Jimmy who is our 'COO' - he used used to work at 84 lumber (when he was in high school) we thought we'd catch this session of yours while our ladies are at the spa.... Our $38,000,000 land option on the first 500 lots is due April 15 but we have pre-orders for 470 townhomes that we promised for Memorial Day so we should be OK, right? No the plans aren't finalized. Hey, can you explain this 'software stuff ' to us.... we're not gonna have to spend another $195 on QuickBooks are we? Hope not we just leased a new office building for $8,000/mo... No the lots aren't finished but we've got approval from the town to start laying them out as long as we build a bypass on I-10 first... hey - BTW - do you know any good 'bulldozer guys' around Phoenix...? "

I wish I was exaggerating, but for a few years that's pretty much the kind of ridiculous conversations we were having at IBS.

JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Joe:

That is funny! Hope you are only joking. By the way, can you make me a national builder by December? Ha ha. (private joke)

Twitter

Houzz

I ordered 6 cd-roms this year and picked up one book at the show. I agree with everyone here that I picked up so much valuable information this year. Wish I would of started attending these shows much earlier. Starting my 15th year building houses and I feel now like I was flying in the dark at times in retrospect.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Edwards View Post
    Park

I did not even look at Buildsoft, I passed by the Constellation booth and was going to glance at it but no one was available so I moved on.
    Thanks, Allan! I was planning on driving down and going to the show this year but had a funeral to attend instead.
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a few CD's from them.