Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

installing a wood shop floor over concrete garage floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a wood shop floor over concrete garage floor

My back could use a break and I want the wood floor environment in my home shop so I'm preparing to install T&G plywood subfloor over the cold garage floor. Other than using a vapor barrier, I'm thinking of using 1x strips 16" on center to help keep the flooring flat and the edges butted against eachother. I don't want a lot of flex in the floor but a bit would help ease the strain on my back standing for long periods.

Is there a better way to do this? Anyone added a floor like this in their shop?

Re: installing a wood shop floor over concrete garage floor

I would use drycore http://www.dricore.com/en/eIndex.aspx Or maybe Paton http://www.systemplaton.com/flooring.html with T&G OSB on top. You will have to tapcon the osb down to keep it lined up and stable for you. Either one will keep a floor warmer and then use those interlocking rubber mats in the areas that you stand the most. Either way of doing it will give you a solid surface that you can still move machines around on.

I am considering one of these options down the road.

Comment

dricore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tj
      http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

The platon would work out cheaper than dricore
        i think especially for a shop. but check out the pricing for yourself guys.

Comment

You may be correct if you are not putting 3/4" ply or OSB over the product. I see it does say you can float the a laminate floor over it.

It does not list a hardwood install without a minimum 7/16 subfloor. I would use 3/4 and then the fasteners and labor (I did read it is for your shop) to install, not sure it is any cheaper.

Also no heavy equipment without a subfloor.

Can you tell I am a big fan of dricore, I hate carrying 4x8x3/4 sheets into a basement.

Tj
          http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

This is a detached garage-not a basement. I'd like to install the minimum to keep it from being a significant transition from the driveway but am hesitant to just run T&G edged plywood over a vapor barrier and screw it into the floor thinking it wouldnt' make much of a difference compared to the concrete floor.

Comment

@ $6.00 + for 4 sf "tiles", dri-core is pretty rich. I just finished a basement and the price had gone way up since I first estimated the project, like 30%. The client was understandin and paid the difference, but I originally priced the roll down stuff and 3/4 t&g ply as a comparison to $4.39/ tile.

phil
              It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Go for a sleeper system and just pour a ramp to the old driveway. This way you get the bounce you need, plus room to run electrical, dust removal ducting and maybe even some radiant heating to keep the feet nice and toasty.

Comment

Think I'd try some of that rubber flooring material first.
                  HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
                  Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
                  General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
                  PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Comment

Originally posted by BeachBoy View Post
                    Think I'd try some of that rubber flooring material first.
                    Been there, done that. The floor goes in on Saturday.

Comment

Good idea, I have done this for two customers over the years. I ripped PT 2x material into
                      2x2's and installed them over 30lb felt. The first time I used 5/8" touchsanded t&g plywood for the floor. Block tile went over this by the homeowner.
                      The second time I used 3/4" osb t&g and 1/4" underlayment plywood. A year or so later I installed Bruce flooring over this. The flooring was obtained for the taking by the homeowner,otherwise I think it would be a waste of money to put a laminate floor in a woodworking shop.
                      mike

Comment

Originally posted by kwoodhands View Post
                        otherwise I think it would be a waste of money to put a laminate floor in a woodworking shop.
                        mike
                        Not to mention slicker than snot with a little saw dust on the floor.
                        “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
                        Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Working...
                        X