Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

header beam for a bump-out not wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header beam for a bump-out not wanted

Hi All,

I'm demolishing an exterior load bearing kitchen wall that is 15 feet long. The first 9 feet of the wall supports the main house, then there is a 16 inch bump-out that runs for the remaining 6 feet of wall. The bump-out is two levels high with a bathroom on the second level of the bump-out. The lower level of the bump-out (that is to be demolished) is an exterior french door. I'm adding a 15'x15' addition with a vaulted ceiling to the new opening in the kitchen. I know I can install two header beams (one for the bump-out and a second header beam for main-house load bearing wall), and tie them together, if I leave the 16 inch bump-out wall in place (at the 9 foot mark as mentioned above). However, I do not want a pillar or section of wall within the 15' open space between the kitchen and new addition. How I can I install a single header beam that will span the entire 15' opening, move the load to the ends of the header beam, and support the second level of the bump-out and the rest of the load bearing wall? The bump-out extends 16 inches beyond the main house load bearing wall.

Thanks very much.

Kind Regards,
    Jim from VA
    Last edited by togs44; 10-24-2009, 07:22 PM.

Re: header beam for a bump-out not wanted

does the second floor load cantilever out the sixteen inches or are the joists parrallel?

Comment

Jim from VA,
      What do you do for a living, and where in VA is the project?

If you are a homeowner, then I would strongly recommend you talk to a competent contractor about this project, even if you want to do it yourself.

Reason I ask is, this is your 1st post, with no introduction, and no info in your profile. If you are not a professional in this business, you really will do better with other sites that cater to DIY'ers. If you are a professional however, and this is just some work outside of your area of expertise, then my apologies.

If that's the case, please tell us a bit about yourself, and you'll likely get some responses. But either way, it sounds like you should talk with someone who is very experienced with framing and structural issues of this sort.

I would be glad to discuss this with you. Why don't you send me a PM?

Tom
      1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
      2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
      3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
      4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Hi All,

I've been a kitchen designer for about 10 years, and I'm working with a contractor to expand the customer's kitchen. I trust the contractor's skills but I wanted to get some independent advice on the subject. The owner is a long time customer of mine, and this is a tricky solution.

One idea I had was to create two separate beams about 16" apart - one that carries the bump-out and another that carries the non bump-out portion. They can each clear the 15' span with no intermediate post. They may require a flat spot in the cathedral ceiling or other solution for the finished ceiling.
        Another idea I had would be to install the beam at the main house outside wall line, and allow the upper level of the bump out to be supported as a cantilever beyond the wall line. At 16", the bump-out may be within the limits for a cantilever.
        Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jim from (Northern) VA

Comment

Send Tom the PM. He can walk you through.
          Brad

You will never stand taller than when kneeling to help a child.

Comment

OK - thanks. I don't have the PM yet. Can I get this from my contractor?

Comment

I'm gonna have to keep my eye on this thread,I can just tell:)
              Jeff Jackson

Comment

I believe Tom and Brad are talking about a Private Message. Go into the 'User CP" above and it's the fourth heading down on the left.

Comment

OK make fun of the new guy. I don't even have an iPhone yet. I'll post the architecture plans as soon as I get them. Thanks Folks!

Comment

I wasn't making fun at all. I usually don't know half the abbreviations anyway, but I thought I knew that one. Welcome to the forums, Jim. I don't have an iphone either :)

Comment

my 17 yr old has an i phone. i just want a phone that can handle mud blood and other crud all day long. i can use the internet at home.

Comment

Originally posted by kawendtco View Post
                        my 17 yr old has an i phone. i just want a phone that can handle mud blood and other crud all day long. i can use the internet at home.
                        Casio G'Zone; Samsung Rugby; Motorola Tundra or Adventure.
                        Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

got the rugby just last week. bright yellow. caught alotta grief over how bright it is...

Comment

Working...
                          X