Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Ecostar synthetic slate roofing question

Hey guys,
    I have a client with a round roof and she is exploring her options with regard to re-roofing. Right now it is white cedar shingle and very tired. I personally wouldn't recommend white cedar for a roof, and usually see red for roofs.

The diameter of the roof is approximately 16' and the pitch is probably a 14 pitch, over 12 at least. I am getting a price for copper, but the ballpark price was 20 to 25k. We are in Rockport, MA and the weather can be harsh since we are on the ocean. This house is a few streets away from the ocean. She asked if I had any suggestions and I said architectural shingles, but she didn't like that suggestion. A guy that works for me brought in from Ecostar left over from a job he did and she really liked it. The Ecostar catalogue on their website shows a circular roof with their synthetic slate on it. As you go up and get to a tighter radius, they just cut the shingles thinner. I would Ice and Water the whole roof too, but I am a little worried about installing the product on this roof. Some earlier generations of the product supposedly cupped, or at least I think I read that somewhere. Well, should I proceed with it, or is it not worth the potential risk.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks guys,
    Mike

Default Re: Ecostar synthetic slate roofing question

I have done an almost exact size and pitch cone with synthetic slate as yours around three years ago also on the ocean and it looks fine. With that pitch I would not worry about covering the whole thing with Ice and water . I would just cover the valley intersections . You should figure out the circumference at the very outside of the shingles at the eave. You can then determine the # of shingles at the eave. With a little math you can then find the angle of cut for all the shingles as they will all be somewhat pie shaped. the next courses will all have the same # of shingles just smaller pie shaped pieces. As you near the top you should also decrease the exposure in order to keep things looking good . Then have a small copper cap made to finish it off

Thanks Ol,
    I have never worked with these. I have a few lying around, but I haven't tried to cut them yet. What'd you cut them with? Utility knife? Fine tooth blade on circ saw, slider, or what? Did you hand nail or gun nail them?

Thanks again Ollee,
    Mike

Since every course gets smaller sized shingles I made a jig for the table saw .
    We then roughed up the edges with a knife so they did not looked cut .
    We also did use a gun to nail them down

Thanks Ol,
    One last question. Did you use roofers? Galv or did you go stainless?

I like he idea of roughing them up with knife on the edges to make them look better. I'm going to add some money in the estimate to do just that.

Thanks,
    Mike

we used stainless nails with a gun