Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Here we go again !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again !

Now the ins. companies are circling the wagons and nothing but but more fallout is coming.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/...hinese_drywall

phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Re: Here we go again !

Nice. Fortunately, I'm betting most of those homes are out of the builder's warranty by this point. So- they should be suing their builders, and their mortgage brokers and real estate agents, not to mention the home inspectors (if there were any).

Another reason it's such a good idea to export all manufacturing to other countries. It saves so much money and hassle here. ;-)
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Wow what a PITA. Though I guess if a home owner needs their whole home done there will be $$$ to be made. Too bad it happened but its good timing to help the tradesmen out of a hole maybe.

Comment

It's all the gub'ments fault for allowing it to be imported. Bet that's new bailout $ I smell on the breeze.
        Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkMc View Post
          It's all the gub'ments fault for allowing it to be imported. Bet that's new bailout $ I smell on the breeze.
          Hey,, GREG has made it clear, that he don't want drywallers saying anything about politics!!!!! You need to watch yourself,,, how DARE you !!!!!!
          Last edited by Capt-sheetrock; 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM. Reason: speelling
          Capt-Sheetrock---Drywall Master of the Universe
          Craig D

Comment

An attorney at law firm that I do work for said that if they can go after the companies involved for environmental issues and there is no time limit on environmental issues such as toxic dumping or contaminated soil. He said it is completely different than a structural issue, at this point they are trying to identify exactly what is in the drywall that is causing the problem. He also said it is very easy to prove if the drywall is from China because it is labeled, no testing is needed.

Comment

So if you do tear it out how do you dispose of the stuff? Is it now considered a hazardous material and all workers in the house will have to have on moon suits and fresh air respirators? I see more problems with it.

Kind of a catch 22. House has problems, you cannot live in it. Yet you have to keep it insured and make payments on the thing.

Anyone know just how the drywall was distributed and under what label? Makes me wonder if any of the major players in the US bought the stuff and relabeled the stuff and sold it. I am not in Florida or any southern state but I have yet to be in a lumber yard and see a pile of Chinese drywall that I know of. And I am guessing the stuff is still being made and sent somewhere. Surely the Chinese did not just make the drywall for 4 years and then quit.

Comment

I think most of it was bought by bigger builders in lots for developments. Probably not much at the box stores, but I don't know. Perhaps some of the drywall supply companies would have distributed the stuff. I doubt you'd not know if you got some, and as was stated, it's all labeled. I haven't heard of any of the local manufacturers re-labeling Chinese product as theirs- and I'm not really sure how they'd do it in a cost effective manner- the structure (paper face) is also the label.

But anything's possible- we might start finding out USG has Chinese cores...

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

GregKW: That is the way I used to think when I started out in this trade. But since I have seen the real effects and outcome of desaters such as this . You have to be able to have the strenght it takes to sit back and watch the HO's get ripped off. And too, where is that $$$ going to come from ?
                  Lavrans : Re-Labeling ? That would be the same chance as anyone of us here winning the jackpot. But you are corrcet builders will buy and purchase the cheapest material they can when it comes to drywall.

Comment

Gregkw: Do you realize the logistical nightmare involved ???????
                    Craig D: what would you do if they glued and screwed the board ???? Let alone having to deal with all the blown in insulation. Just a few things to throw around . It will be a mess for sure.

Comment

The drywall came in shipping containers, was not relabeled, chinese writing on the back side tape, where the barcodes now are. Most of it was for larger builders but some of it went to distributors along the coasts. They saw what was going on and wanted a piece of the pie also, now they have severe indigestion. I was told entire ships were filled with the stuff were coming in to Fla. and the gulf coast.

Comment

Better ya I agree with you the home owners are screwed over this. And the nightmare for sure you pegged it. It is a nightmare 100%. You are also right about sitting back and watching a HO get it up the rear for this. WHat recourse do they have? Can you say call Ms.Erin Brokovich?

Comment

Yes I have installed this ish, and it sucked. The drywall made you itch, just cutting it. The big builders bought it themselves to save money and now there screwed. I got it delivered to a jobsite, 25 sheets, 4x10's and it sucked. I never asked for it, but I just said I need 25 - 5/8" 10 footers, and thats what they sent me. There are people out here demoing it already, with just mask. (no moonsuits) I did have a couple of owners email me for a price for hang/finish, but have not got one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Joepro0000 View Post
                            Yes I have installed this ish, and it sucked. The drywall made you itch, just cutting it. The big builders bought it themselves to save money and now there screwed. I got it delivered to a jobsite, 25 sheets, 4x10's and it sucked. I never asked for it, but I just said I need 25 - 5/8" 10 footers, and thats what they sent me. There are people out here demoing it already, with just mask. (no moonsuits) I did have a couple of owners email me for a price for hang/finish, but have not got one yet.
                            Not to put too evil a spin on this, but there is precedent for this, and it's not the good kind. With LP and EIFS it wasn't just the developers & builders who got sued, but also the installers. Doesn't matter much to the courts that you installed what was supplied. They might just come back with the good old "you should have known better" response and plant your a$$ firmly on the flagpole.

Welcome to construction defect- you should get out your alka seltzer and call your lawyer now...

Comment

Originally posted by Lavrans View Post
                              it wasn't just the developers & builders who got sued, but also the installers.
                              Or as the lawyer says, first one found holding [enough] money buys.
                              Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Working...
                              X