Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Crown molding size

How do you determine the appropriate size crown molding?

Are there rules of thumb?

Classical principles?

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/ipaper2.htm gives classical principles for base and chair rail, but not for crown.

Perhaps Gary's got it in a future issue?

Default Re: Crown molding size

I usually go by how big is the room, how high is the ceiling. usually small rooms with 8 foot ceilings I use the 3 5/8 or the 4 5/8

rooms with 9 or 10' ceilings such as a bedroom living room dining room etc. I use the 4 5/8 or the 5 5/8

and even get involved with 2,3 or 4 pieice built up crowns.

and this usually looks good.

go and buy several of the sizes, in 4' pieces and to use when selling jobs and show the people what they would like.

this way it gives the room a good balance.
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Go to your local millwork shop and ask for some samples (mine gives them for free). Prime and paint them. It really helps people make a chioce and more importantly hire you for the job.

Like Kreg says, a general rule is the larger the room the bigger the crown. Having samples on hand will make choosing a lot easier.
    Brian

And I thought there was some fancy formula involved...

Well, according to "Get Your House Right." JUST Crown, on an 8' would be 2-1/2" on a 9' = 3" on 10' = 4"... Then they also have Cornice sizing and Crown and Picture rail sizing. See Page 224.

There is a fancy chart there. Great book.
    David Tuttle

David's right, there are 'rules' for the sizes, based on the HEIGHT of the ceiling, as he said. Generally it's 3 1/2 (about a 2 1/2 in. rise) in an 8ft. room, etc, just as Get Your House Right suggests. The size of the crown is based on the same system of proportions as the chair rail. William Pain writes about some of those proportions in the same book that Brent quoted for the Chair Rail article: The Practical House Carpenter. I borrowed some of those rules--along with some from other pattern books of the same period-- for this short web-article: http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawings/proportion.html

Gary

So according to classical principles, the dimensions of moldings (base, chair rail, crown) are determined solely by ceiling height. The size of the room is not a factor. So I should use the same size moldings in a small bathroom as in a large living area given that the ceiling height is the same. Is this correct?

Best I can tell from the book, yes. I've had other books which have given "guide lines" not charts and specific numbers. Remember that it's proportion small trim in a tall room disappears, I just got an add on to a job by pointing out that the "baseboard" in the new house was door casing and that EVEN 4-1/4" MDF base would look better in the room (could not get the 5-1/2 as suggested, cause I did not have a sample). But now I'm redoing the whole house.

I applied the formula to a built in's crown and I was amazed at how much nicer my piece looked than what I had been doing in the past (proportion to size not height)
    David Tuttle