Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Loewen Windows from Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loewen Windows from Canada

You guys heard of these? I just installed 18 of them this week, heavy ba$tards they were!!
    Looked pretty nice.

Re: Loewen Windows from Canada

Those are generally my favorite windows. I have installed maybe a hundred of them at this point and had very good luck. They work well with the VG fir trim we use on practically every job. Thing I hate is the unpackaging process.... all that stapled cardboard and wood blocks.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Comment

They are big in the midwest and left coast. They are not available here. I liked the construction of them as well. When I go and see these products at the RemodelingShow, I almost get kicked out of the displays because i get "intimate" with the construction. I rack the sashes, remove sashes on doublehungs, etc. I scrutinize vinyl windows to no end, checking seams and cross-sections and the like.
      The loewens' hold up really well to these unscientific tests :-)

phil
      It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike! View Post
        You guys heard of these?
        Yes. I've installed plenty of them (several houses' worth), and they are my favorite brand. I've compared them to Anderson, Pella, Marvin, Weathershield (also very good, imo), Kolbe & Kolbe.

I believe they are very well-made, as they certainly install quite easily. If I recall correctly, they build their units for 2x6 walls sized to 6 5/8", as opposed to other co's making theirs 6 9/16". I like that. You would think that extra sixteenth doesn't matter, but it does. Their side jambs require very little effort to straighten, even on tall units, which to me is another indicator of a well-built window, from the installer's pov.

Tom
        1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
        2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
        3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
        4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Yes, I have installed about 60 of them and never had any problems. They are very heavy but I love the cardboard. I use the cardboard for so many things I think I'm beginning to feel like I need to install some more windows to get some more cardboard. They are made in Canada so the hardware is just a little bit different and I have to pay attention to the little details. I highly recommend them to my clients and my favorite Architect does too. One of those no-brainers for me.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by philthegreek View Post
            They are big in the midwest and left coast. They are not available here. I liked the construction of them as well. When I go and see these products at the RemodelingShow, I almost get kicked out of the displays because i get "intimate" with the construction. I rack the sashes, remove sashes on doublehungs, etc. I scrutinize vinyl windows to no end, checking seams and cross-sections and the like.
            The loewens' hold up really well to these unscientific tests :-)

phil
            Maybe not RIGHT where you are... but they have a pretty presence on this side of the country, as well... I think.

http://www.loewen.com/home.nsf/dealerlocator

...There's a dealer an hour & 1/2 from you, in Clinton. You sure they won't deliver to Danbury?
            Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Don, I am always able to scrounge 4x8 cardboard cover sheets at the lumber yard, but I agree, some of the Loewen cardboard comes in handy.
              Website - Facebook

Comment

Things must have changed in the three years since I made an inquiry. I did not follow up because the rep at the show couldn't tell me if they were planning to service my market. Maybe it was longer. I'll have to re-address the issue. thanks for pointing out my error ;-) It may have been Kolbe&kolbe, not sure now. Please disregard my earlier post ;-)

phil
                It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Originally posted by philthegreek View Post
                  Things must have changed in the three years since I made an inquiry.
                  Could be - they're still relatively new players on the scene, here. Lumberyards still go "Loewen? What's that?"
                  Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

I've installed several of their double hinged patio door units and agree they are very good quality.
                    Christopher Wright, WrightWorks, LLC
                    Indianapolis Remodeling Contractor
                    Remodeling Photos
                    www.Facebook.com/WrightWorks
                    www.Twitter.com/ChrWright
                    President, Central Indiana NARI, Named to the 2010 REMODELING Big50

Comment

They sure seem like well done windows. I only question on the double hung units I installed why the fragile fiberglass flange on the bottom of the window? But otherwise a very impressive doug. fir built alum. clad unit.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrWright View Post
                        I've installed several of their double hinged patio door units and agree they are very good quality.
                        Great looking website Chris!!

Comment

Thank you!
                          Christopher Wright, WrightWorks, LLC
                          Indianapolis Remodeling Contractor
                          Remodeling Photos
                          www.Facebook.com/WrightWorks
                          www.Twitter.com/ChrWright
                          President, Central Indiana NARI, Named to the 2010 REMODELING Big50

Comment

+1 on that, one of the best I've seen in a while.
                            Website - Facebook

Comment

Working...
                            X